Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

lithium grease vs. bearing grease.

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 11:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default lithium grease vs. bearing grease.

ok here's the deal. i finally got around to installing my B&M short shifter 2 mondays ago. my dumb *** took everything out of the box and some how miss placed the lithium grease that came with the shifter. so i used bearing grease
(you know the one that comes in a look a like butter container) that i had in my garage.

so today right before i get home, i shift into first and i hear a squeak. not a loud squeak, or constant squeak. just when i first put it into first like from a stand still.
my concern is that i'm afraid that the little white plastic crown that the shifter sits in will break (had it happened in my sisters ex).

so do i have anything to worry, and if i have to use lithium grease, where can i get it?
Old 08-10-2006, 12:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: lithium grease vs. bearing grease. (philosofy1)

BUMP!
Old 08-10-2006, 12:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it wont really matter what type of grease. i think that lithium is more of a high temp type but bearing are just as fine and will work just as well check to see if the heat shield is in contact i had that problem before because it hanged down alittle more
Old 08-10-2006, 12:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you can get lithium greese at pretty much any parts store such as autozone or advance autoparts...I get mine at a store called "Austin's" - I don't think they're a chain though..

It really shouldn't matter, like he said, the lithium is more high temp, but as long as it's not sitting on your heat shield you shouldn't have anything to worry about, if the heat shield's there and it's not touching the shifter, it should be fine..

Others may disagree saying the lithium greese is the right way to go so you should do that...but I do believe it will be fine with the bearing greese you have on there now..if it's really bothering you you can always pull it and put lithium greese on it...
Old 08-10-2006, 12:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks, no my shifter isn't sitting or touching the heat shield or my exhaust piping.
i guess i need more grease?