Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

jdm GSR header pass emission?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2005, 05:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default jdm GSR header pass emission?

was wondering if anyone on here used jdm GSR header to run through state ref. it meets right up with civic cat and can still use stock cat with exhuast. the diameter of the jdm GSR is larger then the usdm GSR though. if no one had tried, will the larger header effect emission?
Old 01-11-2005, 07:42 PM

Default Re: jdm GSR header pass emission? (boi_si)

i doubt u can because i heard you have to use a usdm intake manifold, exhaust manifold n usdm ecu for jdm motors but you can give it a shot
Old 01-11-2005, 07:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: jdm GSR header pass emission? (egs4life)

You could use the JDM Intake Manifold, you cant use the exhaust manifold, you have to get either a USDM or DC.
Old 01-11-2005, 07:56 PM
New User

it sorta depends on what motor you have and what you're trying to accomplish.

if you are going for a bar sticker for a jdm motor, the ref here wants to see all matching parts. jdm motor, jdm parts and jdm ecu.

if you are going for a bar sticker for a usdm motor, the usdm motor should use the parts that came with the motor stock and usdm ecu.

if you're just trying to pass smog, if it looks stock looking, most people won't be able to tell especially IF it has a heat shield on. IF the ref can tell the difference between a jdm and usdm manifold, then no,you won't pass.

you're in norcal? IF you're planning on going to the one in skyline college, i'll have to tell you that the guy has seen all sorts of **** people have done with their cars. he's cool, but don't think he doesn't know **** like most other refs.
Old 01-11-2005, 07:58 PM
New User

oh yeah... the larger diameter shouldn't affect the emissions that much.
Old 01-11-2005, 08:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: jdm GSR header pass emission? (Luserkid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Luserkid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You could use the JDM Intake Manifold, you cant use the exhaust manifold, you have to get either a USDM or DC. </TD></TR></TABLE>
i thought it was the other way around?
Old 01-11-2005, 09:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: jdm GSR header pass emission? (taz77)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by taz77 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it sorta depends on what motor you have and what you're trying to accomplish.

if you are going for a bar sticker for a jdm motor, the ref here wants to see all matching parts. jdm motor, jdm parts and jdm ecu.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

wrong! if you're trying to BAR a JDM motor, you should have the USDM intake manifold and USDM ecu. the ref won't be able to tell if you have a jdm or usdm exhaust manifold. they all look the same under the heat shield. i BAR'd my b18b1 with a usdm b16a2 header mated to a stock 93 civic cat.

the oem GSR exhaust manifold WILL NOT bolt up to the stock civic cat. however, the stock b18b or b16a WILL bolt up. if your exhaust manifold bolts up, and has an O2 sensor bung, then it's not a GSR manifold.
Old 01-12-2005, 05:03 PM

Default Re: jdm GSR header pass emission? (dantastic)

whats the diff betwen USDM and JDM intake manifold? it looks same?

about the jdm GSR header, it meets up with civic cat, unlike usdm. but the diameter is larger then 2 in... i custom bolt it. it touches and dounut barely sits in. dantastic... ur b16 header is usdm... jdm is larger diameter... my car looks stock inside out.
Old 01-12-2005, 05:43 PM

my car passed at the ref with a CTR header w/ 2.5 inch collector... on a USDM b16a2 in my 99 Civici Si
Old 01-12-2005, 07:12 PM
New User

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dantastic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

the ref won't be able to tell if you have a jdm or usdm exhaust manifold. they all look the same under the heat shield.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah... that's what i said...
but you're not just trying to pass a visual inspection. you also need to pass the gas readings. the ref here... like i said earlier... will look for matching components believing that even in japan, the parts are designed to work together in part to reduce emissions. he will look for a jdm ecu...
Old 01-12-2005, 08:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: jdm GSR header pass emission? (taz77)

I'd say get a USDM exhaust manifold just to be safe. Im sure you can find one on HT, i got mine from a fellow HT member for only $20.

There was another post about this a while back and that member asked his local smog referree how to make JDM engines legal. The ref said that:

"The Exhaust Manifold MUST BE USDM, and if it is not O.E then it must have a C.A.R.B sticker that matches the motor."

The member then asked the Ref if they could tell the difference btwn the USDM and JDM exhaust manifolds and the ref said they keep pictures of everything and that there are slight differences between the two.
Old 01-12-2005, 08:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boi_si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">whats the diff betwen USDM and JDM intake manifold? it looks same?

about the jdm GSR header, it meets up with civic cat, unlike usdm. but the diameter is larger then 2 in... i custom bolt it. it touches and dounut barely sits in. dantastic... ur b16 header is usdm... jdm is larger diameter... my car looks stock inside out.</TD></TR></TABLE>

the USDM intake manifold and throttle body have fittings for the charcoal canister and evap purge solenoid while the most JDM motors dont. even if the JDM header has a bit bigger pipping, you'll still pass. the fractionally larger pipping won't make a difference in tailpipe readings. someone in this thread even passed witha 2.5" collector. this is assuming that your motor is in good shape. lots of carbon build up will cause high NOx reading, which is why i couldn't get my b16 to pass
Old 01-13-2005, 04:25 PM

someone on here saids i must need jdm p72? most of everyone said ref needs usdm p72? i just need to find a local guy with evap purge solenoid. i was wondering if the obd1 b16/b18b same? or others?