Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

jdm d 15 swap what ecu do i need

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 09:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default jdm d 15 swap what ecu do i need

so i have a 93 civic hatchback dx automatic. im ordering a jdm d 15 b v tec 92-95 from hmotorsonline the motor only. what all do i need? just the ecu? also will the po8 ecu work for the auto tranny? if not what ecu do i need ? i would appreciate some feed back.. thanks
Old 08-11-2010, 10:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Howcome we park on driveways, and drive on parkways?
Default Re: jdm d 15 swap what ecu do i need

what u need is to learn how to drive 5spd....

auto trans - FTL....
Old 08-11-2010, 10:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just get an automatic p28 im not sure if there is an automatic p08
Old 08-11-2010, 10:31 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by project93hatch
so i have a 93 civic hatchback dx automatic. im ordering a jdm d 15 b v tec 92-95 from hmotorsonline the motor only. what all do i need? just the ecu? also will the po8 ecu work for the auto tranny? if not what ecu do i need ? i would appreciate some feed back.. thanks
You will need to wire vtec (you'll be able to salvage most of the engine harness side of things from the cut JDM harness that normally comes with the engine.) You will need either an automatic P08 or P28 as well if retaining the automatic transmission (if you're looking for any kind of performance ditch the automatic and order the matching D15B vtec transmission, or pick up a USDM EX/Si tranny.

Originally Posted by civicsmoke
just get an automatic p28 im not sure if there is an automatic p08
There is, most of the ones you see for sale are the automatic version actually.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DC2-ProdUcTiOnS
what u need is to learn how to drive 5spd....

auto trans - FTL....
THANKS MAN FOR THE HELP ILL GET RIGHT ON THAT
Old 08-11-2010, 11:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94EG8
You will need to wire vtec (you'll be able to salvage most of the engine harness side of things from the cut JDM harness that normally comes with the engine.) You will need either an automatic P08 or P28 as well if retaining the automatic transmission (if you're looking for any kind of performance ditch the automatic and order the matching D15B vtec transmission, or pick up a USDM EX/Si tranny.

There is, most of the ones you see for sale are the automatic version actually.
thanks i appreciate the info. performance would be nice but at the moment i just need a reliable car to get me to and from work. in the future i will be doing a b series swap. but cash is tight at the moment. by salvage you mean? will this replacement be plug and play besides having to wire the v tec. sorry for so many questionds this will be my first attempt at a motor replacement. done just about everything else . so i figured its time to learn
Old 08-11-2010, 12:37 PM
Seagull Management

by salvage you mean?
Usually when you buy a JDM engine from a JDM importer it comes with a cut harness, its a RHD harness anyway so its unusable, but you can salvage the connectors and wire for vtec from it.

will this replacement be plug and play besides having to wire the v tec.
Yep, 100%. Just make sure its the OBD1 128hp version of the D15B Vtec (theres an OBD1 vtec-e version and an OBD2 3 stage version as well)

I'm actually running a JDM D15B Vtec in my '94 sedan, have been for the last 3 years or more. it hasn't burned or leaked anything yet and runs strong.
Old 08-11-2010, 01:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Usually when you buy a JDM engine from a JDM importer it comes with a cut harness, its a RHD harness anyway so its unusable, but you can salvage the connectors and wire for vtec from it.

Yep, 100%. Just make sure its the OBD1 128hp version of the D15B Vtec (theres an OBD1 vtec-e version and an OBD2 3 stage version as well)

I'm actually running a JDM D15B Vtec in my '94 sedan, have been for the last 3 years or more. it hasn't burned or leaked anything yet and runs strong.
ok cool. the one im lookin at all it says about it is 92 95 130hp. i talked to the importer and he said yes the po8 is for auto and stick and i could purchase it too. im just kind of worried about getting the wrong ecu..
if you dont mind me asking were did you purchase your motor from .
Old 08-11-2010, 02:32 PM
Seagull Management

if you dont mind me asking were did you purchase your motor from .
it was purchased through ebay from a company called "sunrise JDM" in Montreal. It was dirt cheap too, with tax and shipping (remember that I live in New Brunswick Canada and pay 13% sales tax, actually at the time I believe it was 15%) it cost me a grand total of $683, considering it was a complete engine (distributor, alternator, A/C compressor, Intake and upper half of exhaust manifold and what just happened to be a good clutch still attached) I figure thats a pretty good deal. I believe the price before tax and shipping was $436 There are other suppliers out there, but this was the cheapest D15B Vtec I could find at the time, I was broke and about to start a new job and needed an engine, otherwise I probably would have bought from a supplier i'd heard of before, that said i've been extremely happy with the engine I got and would probably buy from them again.
Old 08-11-2010, 03:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it was purchased through ebay from a company called "sunrise JDM" in Montreal. It was dirt cheap too, with tax and shipping (remember that I live in New Brunswick Canada and pay 13% sales tax, actually at the time I believe it was 15%) it cost me a grand total of $683, considering it was a complete engine (distributor, alternator, A/C compressor, Intake and upper half of exhaust manifold and what just happened to be a good clutch still attached) I figure thats a pretty good deal. I believe the price before tax and shipping was $436 There are other suppliers out there, but this was the cheapest D15B Vtec I could find at the time, I was broke and about to start a new job and needed an engine, otherwise I probably would have bought from a supplier i'd heard of before, that said i've been extremely happy with the engine I got and would probably buy from them again.
wow thet is a good deal. im lookin at arond 850 shiped and another 100 for the ecu if i decide to get it from them. ill have to see if i could find that company and check it out thanks for all your help. if ya dont mind im going to send a friend reqest to you. just incase i need any other advice