Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

International car importing...does anyone know anything about this!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2001, 06:43 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default International car importing...does anyone know anything about this!!!

Hey guys. I was wondering if anyone knew anything about importing cars to the US from Japan. I want to know how much it costs to ship them, who I contact to get the car titled and how much it costs, what I need to do to get the car to pass emissions (civic EG model), and who I can contact to find out how much customs charges will be. If anyone can help me or direct me to someone who can, I would appreciate it.
Old 10-29-2001, 06:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: International car importing...does anyone know anything about this!!! (jdmciviceg)

Might want to check the post about this in the Members Corner.
Old 10-29-2001, 11:06 PM
New User

Default Re: International car importing...does anyone know anything about this!!! (jdmciviceg)

Alright I've been researching trying to figure it out.. It seems like it's damn expensive so far.

you need to contact DOT, EPA, and Customs for more information on importing a car. DOT will make you put down a bond of like 1.5 the value of the car.. so basically you're paying 2 and half times for your car *BS*.

Best thing to do is get in contact with a Registered Importer who specializes in importing cars from other countries and is willing to protest to get the car registerable (new word for the evening)

I guess get in contact and find out..

Eric.
Old 10-30-2001, 05:01 AM
Trial User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i got an idea. go to japan and put the car in your suitcase and fly back like normal. real easy. hey get me a CTR and i will pay you for it later.

no for real email me if you find a way cause i would like to do the same thing.
Old 10-30-2001, 05:25 AM
New User

Default Re: International car importing...does anyone know anything about this!!! (Aceman64)

I wish I could have fit a CTR in my suitcase!! I went to Japan this summer and I my bags were already too heavy according the American Airlines......so I'm sure they would not have liked the CTR in the bag. I have found a contact in Japan who is going to help me with this, so I will let you know what I find out. Thanks for the help!
Old 10-30-2001, 06:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

http://www.japanesevehicles.com

these guys might be able to help.
Old 10-30-2001, 06:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

im wondering the same thing because im planning on getting an eg4 or eg6 at the end of this year or the start of next. http://www.japanesevehicles.com has 2 eg4's right now. one for $1500 US and $2000 US. ive heard in another post that you can just get the car shipped over here and to get around the normal registration you can just register it as a kit-car and it'll be pretty much fine and dandy, but you have to make it pass smog. but thats not hard if you got the hookup. but im sure if youre running a completely stock motor and exhuast you'll be straight anyway. ive also heard that it is illegal to have a car shipped to america in one whole piece, and that you have to have the car disassembled when it gets shipped over here. i think that is hella dumb, but if anyone has any info, please respond...i need answers!!!!!hahaha. thanks
Old 10-30-2001, 02:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: International car importing...does anyone know anything about this!!! (ian)

try contacting these people http://www.dohcparts.com i beleive they helped a guy in wisconsin get his ctr over here so they may have some information.
Old 10-30-2001, 08:00 PM
New User

Default Re: International car importing...does anyone know anything about this!!! (MiGs)

Very nice pics. I went to Japan this summer and the EGs were everywhere. I looked at several at used car lots and they were cheeeeeeep!!! I'm talking.....$1,500-$2,000 for a clean EG. I saw a few CTRs over there too. That's why I'm trying to figure out how to get them here!! I have a contact in Japan who I am going to call in the next few days to see if I can get some of them over here. I'll keep you guys posted on my findings. Thanks for the help.
Old 10-30-2001, 09:29 PM
New User

As I said in the member's forum, it's a LOT of paperwork to get it in even as a "demonstration" car. Well a CTR that is, then again I live in Canada the land of the Beaurucrats!
Old 10-31-2001, 05:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: International car importing...does anyone know anything about this!!! (Spoon Guy)

I'm gettin this one!

sweet!
Old 10-31-2001, 06:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: International car importing...does anyone know anything about this!!! (Barabus)

I think if I imported a car it would be a Skyline GTR, a Siliva or something...
Old 10-31-2001, 06:38 AM
New User

Default Re: International car importing...does anyone know anything about this!!! (TheFLY)

I think if I imported a car it would be a Skyline GTR, a Siliva or something...
I know a guy in DC that has a blue R33. He got it from Motorex and paid like $55K for it.
Old 10-31-2001, 06:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: International car importing...does anyone know anything about this!!! (Guardson3r3)

http://www.skylinegtr.com annoying flash but that it motorex for you.
Old 10-31-2001, 07:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: International car importing...does anyone know anything about this!!! (90accord1)

try contacting these people http://www.dohcparts.com i beleive they helped a guy in wisconsin get his ctr over here so they may have some information.
Hey, I have met the guy with that CTR....but I didn't ask how he got it here!

If I see him again I will be sure to ask. I heard down the grapevine he got the CTR with a pretty messed up front end. Then had it rebuilt here in wisconsin...I think at King Motorsports.

The car is soooo nice. I really wish the government wasn't in our face all the damn time about stuff like this. Whatever happened to the pursuit of happiness in the constitution?
Old 10-31-2001, 08:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: International car importing...does anyone know anything about this!!! (HXMan)

I was talking to the guys sister on AOL. She sent me pics cus I didnt believe her.

He got it sent over here and it was all fucked up I guess...It ended up costing him 19k for everything. She wouldn't tell me how he got it over here.

Suprdave
Old 10-31-2001, 09:25 AM
Don't call it a comeback

Default Re: International car importing...does anyone know anything about this!!! (Suprdave)

Sux that the government is so loc tite on things. Emagine the street races if cars could be imported!
Old 10-31-2001, 12:39 PM
New User

Default Re: International car importing...does anyone know anything about this!!! (Suprdave)

The guy (Eric) who owns the CTR in wisconsin really avoids the question of how he got it imported. Either he's an *** or it's that easy and he doesn't want an influx of true JDM cars into the states which lowers the value of his 'rare' car.

He got his car with passenger rear damage (that's driver rear for us RHD people ) It was in a hurricane so I believe it was a roll over also. He basically replaced most of the body parts if I recall correctly. He had a hook up for most of his stuff so he got it at a good buy hense only 19k invested into the CTR.

his importer was http://www.dohcparts.com.

Old 10-31-2001, 12:46 PM
New User

Default Re: International car importing...does anyone know anything about this!!! (bLinK)

That car aint all that.
Old 10-31-2001, 08:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: International car importing...does anyone know anything about this!!! (DOHCVtec)

That car aint all that.
didnt ur mother ever tell u that if u dont have anything nice or meaningful to say... DONT SAY IT!?
Old 10-31-2001, 09:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

WHaT'S UP DAVE, Call me and i can tell you what you need to know
Old 11-01-2001, 02:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: International car importing...does anyone know anything about this!!! (WykidEG6)

Well I e-mailed bestjapancar.com and asked them about importing an EG6, a CTR or a ITR. We'll see what they have to say If this doesn't work out I know a guy through a friend of mine that can get me any JDM car I want. I just don't know if the price will be as good. He offered to import my friend a Supra and he said no.
Old 11-01-2001, 06:06 AM
New User

Default Re: International car importing...does anyone know anything about this!!! (Civicboy)

you found me Jeramy!! I can't ever run from you..stalker boy!! bring me some sour gum!!
Old 11-01-2001, 09:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

We,re doing the swap on Wes's car Sunday. So, come and get some GUM!
Old 11-02-2001, 07:14 AM
New User

Default Re: International car importing...does anyone know anything about this!!! (WykidEG6)

I'd love to...but I'm headed home to pic up some stuff..be back monday.