Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Car w/ expired tags was towed away today, what do i do?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 08:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car w/ expired tags was towed away today, what do i do?

i need some help. i have a 96 hatch with an 03 tag(long story) on there and i parked it outside of my house on a public street. so this morning i came out and saw the fukin po towing my car. and now my car is impounded for expired tags. WHAT DO I NEED TO DO TO GET MY CAR BACK? but the thing is, the car is not registered to my name yet, after buying the car i was never able to smog the car so it is not registered to me.

This is why i hate the po: the car was like 50 feet from my house and i was like "ohh sorry guys ill put the car in my garage then" and those faggets didnt even let me they just took it away
Old 02-05-2008, 09:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Car w/ expired tags was towed away today, what do i do? (creepy116)

omg r u serious GO TO THE BMV. why would you ask here. ull get 40 answers and theyll all be different.

1. the owner has to get it.
2. has to have current registration
3. proof of insurance
4. a drivers license

your going to have a hell of a time since its not legally your car. i do wish you the best of luck tho. and next time park it on private property. not a public road. they had the right to tow it unfortunately.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:11 PM

i woulda walked outside, tapped on the po's shoulder, pulled out my ***** and said, "tow these"

jus kidding.

find out his name, track him down, and kill him in his sleep. that should solve all your towing problems.
Old 02-06-2008, 03:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yay. i'm glad they towed your car. you shouldnt have had it parked on the street inthe first place. i'm sure one of your neighbors ratted you out because they didnt want your car on the street dropping their property value. you have no one but yourself to be pissed off at. you bought a car that hasnt been registered for 5 years. and you should've had the seller smog the car and get the registration up to date before even buying it, especially since the seller is responsible for the smog, not the buyer

but to be helpful, youll have to pay all back fees to get the registration up to date, get the red temp registration sticker, then go to the tow yard and pay the tow fees and show that registration is paid for. and since you have never put the car in your name, you'll probably need a bill of sale to go with all of this.
Old 02-06-2008, 03:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

wow, talk about dumb moves. how can you hate the police for doing their job? it's YOUR fault your car got towed, not his. what the hell was stopping you from registering your car? i think this long story would be worth it to hear.
Old 02-06-2008, 05:03 AM

Default Re: Car w/ expired tags was towed away today, what do i do? (Probot)

just go to the towyard and ask!
Old 02-06-2008, 06:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Car w/ expired tags was towed away today, what do i do? (skUnK2jdm)

first, i can only tell you what FLA laws are...which should be similar to CA.

the registered owner of the vehicle usually has to pick the car up.

if you have a bill of sale and the title you should be able to transfer the title into your name...without having to register it. otherwise, like others have said you'll be forced to find the previous owner...who could get the car out and keep it...since you've not transferred anything into your name.

Old 02-06-2008, 06:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you are not very smart....

1. call them up
2. pay the fine
3. bring it home
4. Be Smart!: new sticker!
Old 02-06-2008, 06:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Car w/ expired tags was towed away today, what do i do? (jay_cue)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jay_cue &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
but to be helpful, youll have to pay all back fees to get the registration up to date, get the red temp registration sticker, then go to the tow yard and pay the tow fees and show that registration is paid for. and since you have never put the car in your name, you'll probably need a bill of sale to go with all of this.</TD></TR></TABLE>
pretty much sums it up... not to mention the money you will spend getting the car back could possibly cost the same as a swap or turbo, or your favorite rare minty, fresh outta the box jdm rims...good luck!
Old 02-06-2008, 08:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by creepy116 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i need some help. i have a 96 hatch with an 03 tag(long story) on there and i parked it outside of my house on a public street. so this morning i came out and saw the fukin po towing my car. and now my car is impounded for expired tags. WHAT DO I NEED TO DO TO GET MY CAR BACK? but the thing is, the car is not registered to my name yet, after buying the car i was never able to smog the car so it is not registered to me.

This is why i hate the po: the car was like 50 feet from my house and i was like "ohh sorry guys ill put the car in my garage then" and those faggets didnt even let me they just took it away </TD></TR></TABLE>

Well you won't be able to get the car back since your not even the rightful owner. The person you bought it from, will have to get it out, since the car is still registered under his/her name. He/she will have to pay the fine to get the car out, unless you give that person money to do it. I doubt he/she will pay it out of their pocket. Then someone will have to pay 5 years worth of registration (OUCH!). Then you or the other person would have to get it smogged, then you can bring the smog papers to the dmv and then register it under your name. Paying just the transfer fee, assuming the registration fees have been paid as well.

From the day the car is impounded, its already accumulating fees. The longer it stays at the impound the higher the fees get.

I doubt the person you bought it from will want to go through this hassle since you FAILED to do the proper thing. Which was to smog the car once you bought it, then pay the 5 years worth of registration. Then finally completing the paperwork by paying the transfer fee. It only takes a few hours to get this done. Now you will be dishing out more money then necessary and more headaches.

This concludes it as a EPIC FAIL
Old 02-06-2008, 08:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Car w/ expired tags was towed away today, what do i do? (VTECth1s)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by VTECth1s &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Well you won't be able to get the car back since your not even the rightful owner. The person you bought it from, will have to get it out, since the car is still registered under his/her name. He/she will have to pay the fine, get it registerered which he/she will have to pay for about 5 years worth (OUCH!). Then you or the other person would have to get it smogged, then you can bring the smog papers to the dmv and then register it under you name. Paying just the transfer fee.

From the day the car is impounded, its already accumulating fees. The longer it stays at the impound the higher the fees get.

I doubt the person you bought it from will want to go through this hassle since you FAILED to do the proper thing. Which was to smog the car once you bought it, then pay the 5 years worth of registration. Then finally completing the paperwork by paying the transfer fee. It only takes a few hours to get this done. Now you will be dishing out more money then necessary and more headaches.

This concludes it as an EPIC FAIL </TD></TR></TABLE>

haha yea, definitely sucks eppppic fail to say the least

Old 02-06-2008, 08:30 AM

Go to the DMV not BMV....
get a 1 day moving permitt...say u need to get the car smoged but the car is in the impound
Go to the police department and show license or someone with license and insurance.

AND hope u get a dumb bitch working in the front desk to help u out.

good luck
Old 02-06-2008, 08:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Car w/ expired tags was towed away today, what do i do? (Probot)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Probot &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wow, talk about dumb moves. how can you hate the police for doing their job? it's YOUR fault your car got towed, not his. what the hell was stopping you from registering your car? i think this long story would be worth it to hear. </TD></TR></TABLE>
x2 I mean the day you bought your car....wait correction is not ur car 'cause not registered to you .... the day you bought the car you should went to DMV for the registration......
Old 02-06-2008, 08:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Car w/ expired tags was towed away today, what do i do? (ARMYGREEN96)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ARMYGREEN96 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Go to the DMV not BMV....
get a 1 day moving permitt...say u need to get the car smoged but the car is in the impound
Go to the police department and show license or someone with license and insurance.

AND hope u get a dumb bitch working in the front desk to help u out.

good luck</TD></TR></TABLE> hopefully she's dumb as a box of rocks, because if not, the registered owner has to sign for it... i know from experience because i've had a couple of vehicles impounded that were in another person's name...(thank God it was family...)
Old 02-06-2008, 08:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Car w/ expired tags was towed away today, what do i do?

Well atleast it didn't get stolen....I park cars on my street that don't even have tags for months lol(been doing it since 98 and never had one towed). I have gotten some of my cars out of the impound that were DRIVEN with fake expired tags and no insurance and they gave them back no prob. When I paid the tow/storage all I had to bring was the title and they gave the **** back. It doesn't matter if the title isn't in your name as long as you signed the purchasers section and the seller signed the seller section............But then again Cops and California do both love to suck ***** so............
Old 02-06-2008, 09:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Car w/ expired tags was towed away today, what do i do? (USDMCIVICHATCH)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by USDMCIVICHATCH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">............But then again Cops and California do both love to suck ***** so............</TD></TR></TABLE>in cali its all about paperwork... it something doesn't match, its not likely that you'll be getting anything back.....
Old 02-06-2008, 09:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Might be easier and simpler to just leave it there and go buy a new car. And this time register it in your name, get some insurance, keep the tags up to date....you know, the normal stuff everyone else does.
The following users liked this post:
Old 02-06-2008, 09:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (old man neri)

didnt i already cover all of this?
Old 02-06-2008, 11:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if you kept it in the driveway (private property)... then none of this would have happened.

like you said... its on a PUBLIC street... how would the cops know if the owner of the car lives at the house its parked in front of. The cops probably checked the plates and saw that the owner lives no where in the vicinity of where the car was parked and assumed it was broken down since it had tabs that far back or something of that sort.

Usually... once the car is been put on a rack of the tow truck there is nothing you can do to have then bring it back down unless you got cash or got a girl that can do "something" about it. LOL
Old 02-06-2008, 11:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Call your local authorities.