Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

ignition timing makes no sense help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 02:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ignition timing makes no sense help!!!

1998 honda civic
b16a gen 2
p30 obd1 ecu
ok so i had a previous thread on an idle issue.

this is now a totally different problem.

Now if i understand this correctly. on the crank pulley TDC a.k.a o degrees is the single white mark above the 3 marks correct?

the 3 marks on the crank pulley represent timing degrees. the red mark being the ideal setting. in my case 16 degrees according to the manual. being a b16a2.

i cannot get any where near the red mark for 16 degrees, i have to have the timing gun at 49 degrees or more for it to almost line up. which makes no sense.

16 degrees is at the TDC (single white mark) on the crank. 0 degrees is on or between the red mark and one right under neath it.

yes i jumped the service connector. moved the dizzy are far advanced and retarted as possible but i cannot get anywhere near 16 degrees btdc(red mark) in either position of the dizzy.

am i doing this right or wrong?

do i want the the single white mark to be 16 or zero? according to the manual tdc should be zero and red be 16, it is the complete opposite for me.

this is getting so frustrating
Old 01-17-2014, 02:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Are you sure your gun is working. Some of the guns with dials act up. Just a thought.
Old 01-17-2014, 03:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ignition timing makes no sense help!!!

it is a digital gun, not analog. has timing degrees from 0-99 and a rpm display.

it is set for a 4 cylinder

anything about my OP?
Old 01-17-2014, 04:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

serious 63 people and no one?
Old 01-17-2014, 04:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, your TDC is the single white mark. Whit the car at operating temperature clip your T.L. to spark wire one and to the battery, set the light to 4 cyl. and 0 Degrees.

For the distributor just jump the service plug and look for the red middle mark at BTDC While moving your distributor.(gun at zero)

In my digital gun if I put 16* and jump the service conector the light flash at TDC. Just leave it at zero.
Old 01-17-2014, 04:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Check and make sure the crank pulley hasn't slipped....I seen the end of the keyway (woodruff key) on the crank get messed up and cause the pulley to slip and makes the marks totally off...
Old 01-17-2014, 04:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by carlos8
Yes, your TDC is the single white mark. Whit the car at operating temperature clip your T.L. to spark wire one and to the battery, set the light to 4 cyl. and 0 Degrees.

For the distributor just jump the service plug and look for the red middle mark at BTDC While moving your distributor.(gun at zero)

In my digital gun if I put 16* and jump the service connector the light flash at TDC. Just leave it at zero.
ok well my problem is that the white mark is 16 degrees, when it should be zero.

ill check and see if it did slip, but it is just so confusing that i cannot adjust the btdc to 16. and there is this idle sure when warm between 1100 and 1500.

i do not understand why the tdc mark would be sooo off set. i feel like if the timing belt was that bat i would be getting some serious P2V contact. when im driving around it seems fine, but the idle surges when warm and with a timing light, the timing is way way off.

ill check the pulley tonight and see if it slipped. but i need ideas as to what else this could be.

there is no Cel either
Old 01-17-2014, 05:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by carlos8

In my digital gun if I put 16* and jump the service conector the light flash at TDC. Just leave it at zero.
why zero? and not 16? i do not understand this? if the middle red btdc is at zero, there is no possible way to retard the timing properly only advance it.

that is why tdc is supposed to be at zero and btdc is at 16
Old 01-17-2014, 05:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

16* is the degree that show the red mark not that you have to put your light to 16 to find it.

If you are a little confused try to borrow a non adjustable light and look your TDC if it in spot then proceed to jump the connector and set the BTDC.

hint, put your engine at TDC look for cams and crank to be in spot, take off your distributor cap and check your rotor is pointing to number one.
Old 01-17-2014, 05:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ill go and try that and report back asap although i do not understand that. thought that timing gun was supposed to be at 16* so it lines up btdc(red) with the mark on the cover and adjust from there if need be, and 0* the tdc for alignment purposes.
Old 01-17-2014, 07:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok so all finished checking mechanical timing, pulley slippage and ign. timing.

no mechanical timing issues, no pulley slippage.

i thought these were supposed to be the opposite of this picture OR maybe i am loosing my mind?

that is the display on my gun and dizzy is this correct or wrong? 16* tdc 0* btdc?

the manual says btdc should be 16* which from what i understand is 0* on my gun. so it makes setting the dizzy impossible from what i understand