Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

I hate jdm motors.. please help me..

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 06:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I hate jdm motors.. please help me..

so a buddy of mine ask me for help swapping in a b16 into his 2000 civic ex. Sure I say no problem piece O cake. Now I assumed the b16 he had bought was a 00 civic si b16 or a obd1 b16, nope neither. I get the old ex out and bolt in the b16 and start to plug in clips when I notice some things arent matching right... hmm so I say ok it must be obd1, but that didnt make sense either. so after some research I figure out it is a JDM obd2a del sol b16a.
So here are the encountered problems so far

*First injectors dont fit the clips. So I say oh well we can just put the inj from the sohc in right? Nope dont work. The sohc injectors dont fit the manifold on the b16a. These b16a injectors are huge and I have never came across injectors this wide before.
*Alternator plug doesnt fit alt
*Manifold has a IAT sensor and it doesnt seem this harness has a IAT sensor plug. And when I looked at the sohc motor there is no IAT sensor on the mani
*Manifold only has one vaccumm outlet to run hoses but I need two. The one is already ran down to the black box on back of box. I need a second one to run the evap purge and there is no where to connect it
*The distributor that came with the b16a has 9 wires but the plug for the 00 civic harness only has 8. I been tryna google the web to find a conversion diagram/table and cant find anything
*The vtec solenoid on the b16a doesnt have a oil pressure sensor on it. Only has the one plug, the spot for the second one is blocked off

So now that I figured out it is a obd2a motor I started googling to find solutions so far this is what I have come up with for possible solutions

* Left the b16 inj in and got some obd0 injector clips and wired them up to the harness
* Put the SOHC alternator on and made up a bracket to hold it and keep tension on belt
* figured out that on the ex motor the IAT was the little black sensor that ran into the intake tube. So I cut off clip and rewired to another spare clip I had and plugged the IAT in on the manifold
* For the evap I am gonna try and just T off that vaccumm that goes to the black box, hopefully the T wont effect pressure or anything too much.

So now I am left with trying to wire up this distributor, and tryna figure out if I can still get vtec to work with this solenoid.

Any info anyone has will be greatly appreaciated. I have been searching for info but there doesnt seem to be many write ups on obd2a to obd2b swaps

Thanks
Old 08-28-2009, 08:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: I hate jdm motors.. please help me..

the dizzy plugs dont match up? Wtf is with the OBD2B Harness. Its it totally different or something?
Old 08-28-2009, 08:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Remove those obd0 injectors. They are low imp and they will fry the ecu. OBD2 injectors are high imp. I learned the hard way. I cant help you with the other things, because i dont know much about obd2 swaps.
Old 08-28-2009, 08:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

up cause i got the same issues
Old 08-28-2009, 09:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is this the fun I look forward too trying to put a B18c in my 96 EX? lol damn i sure hope not
Old 08-28-2009, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by Jimster480
the dizzy plugs dont match up? Wtf is with the OBD2B Harness. Its it totally different or something?
obd2a (which is 96-98) had a 9 wire dizzy with a biggerplug then with obd2b cars (99-00) honda switched the plug to a smaller version with 1 less wire. as you can see in the following pic

what I need is a x color goes to y color type chart if anyone has one

Originally Posted by jayWknight
Remove those obd0 injectors. They are low imp and they will fry the ecu. OBD2 injectors are high imp. I learned the hard way. I cant help you with the other things, because i dont know much about obd2 swaps.

they are not obd0 injectors, I used the obd0 injector clips to clip onto the ones on the motor then spliced them into my harness. should be fine

Originally Posted by FlewByU352
Is this the fun I look forward too trying to put a B18c in my 96 EX? lol damn i sure hope not
most likely not. I found some info on the vtec wiring and how totrick the ecu into thinking it has oil pressure for vtec so all I really need is the dizzy wiring. good luck with your swap, should go fine
Old 08-28-2009, 09:48 PM

okay so I found this diagram online

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...stributors.jpg

but on the clip side (which is obd2b) i have a lt blue wire left and on the distributor (the obd2a side) I have a dark blu and lt blue. Now this diagram says nothing of a lt or drk blue on the obd2a side. It says about a blu/grn which I dont have and what the lt blue on the clip side is soupposed to go to. Everything else I have matched up according to the above chart by components. Anyone know what I do with this last 3 wires?
Old 08-28-2009, 10:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Don't forget the crank position sensor. You can swap the crank gear, oil pump, lower timing cover, and distributor for USDM ones. At least that was the way I did it to make sure there would never be an issue. Also, I didn't want to screw around with my harness and I had most of the parts lying around for the conversion.

This article --> http://www.ff-squad.com/technet/ckftrick.htm <-- shows an easy fix. Katman's way is worth a try before swapping out all those parts if you don't already have them.
Old 08-28-2009, 11:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the dark blue is for the tach. but since you have a 99-00 you get your tach signal from somewhere else I dont want to missinform you.

please someone correct me if I'm wrong
Old 08-29-2009, 02:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by FlewByU352
no not at all. its not really the JDM Motor its more like the OBD2B harness which is apparently stupid as **** and they changed all the plugs and ****. Usually its straight bolt on.

btw take a pic of the injectors. OBD-0 clips are the same as DSM clips. There shouldnt be anything like that on the B16.
Old 08-29-2009, 06:49 AM
318 Curves, 11 miles

Originally Posted by revlimitcrx
obd2a (which is 96-98) had a 9 wire dizzy with a biggerplug then with obd2b cars (99-00) honda switched the plug to a smaller version with 1 less wire. as you can see in the following pic

Yep, I had the exact same problem with the dizzy plugs when I swapped a B series into my 2000 EX. The plugs were totally different. I don't think it's a B series or JDM problem, it's a 2000 EX problem... they just have a goofy distributor plug.

Are you saying that the wire colors don't match at all?!

When I did mine (01 USDM B18C1 into 00 EX), I had to swap the plugs, but all of the wire colors were the same, so I just matched the like wires. I mean, on both plugs, the wire colors were the same, so I just needed to swap the plugs.

The extra ones on the B series plug, if I remember right, were just an EMI shield that went back down into the insulation and stopped, but were not necessary. I found that out by stripping the wire apart to see where they went and found out that they didn't go anywhere.

Your experience may be different on a JDM motor though.

EDIT: crap, I just looked at your civicspoon diagram and now I'm just about as lost as you are lol. Good luck, man.

Last edited by Vindicator9000; 08-29-2009 at 06:57 AM.
Old 08-29-2009, 03:38 PM

so this is what I did with the dizzy wiring and hope it works

Obd2a (dizzy)---> obd2b (clip)
yel/grn ---------> yel grn
orn/blu----------> orn/blu
orn-------------> orn
blk/yel----------> blk/yel
wht-------------> blu/yel
wht/blu---------> wht/blu
blk--------------> wht

now those all matched up fine but I ended up with 2 wires one the dizzy left over, a lt blu and drk blu and one wire left over on the clip which was a lt blu. now according to the graph the ltblu on the dizzy is crank position output but crank output on the clip is soupposed to be a blu/grn which is not there. So I went ahead and just did ltblu to ltblu and will leave the drk blue unwired and see if the car starts..

wish me luck
Old 09-03-2009, 07:39 AM

for anyone interested in a obd2a to obd2b dizzy conversion the above wiring I posted worked, The car tuned on but has a bad knock noise in the head so I am pulling head off but for anyones curiosity the wiring did work
Old 09-03-2009, 08:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

for anyone interested in a obd2a to obd2b dizzy conversion the above wiring I posted worked, The car tuned on but has a bad knock noise in the head so I am pulling head off but for anyones curiosity the wiring did work
well it could be wrong. Because thats usually what happens when certain Dizzy Wires are wrong. Like if you messed up the order of ur spark plug wires, it makes a Knocking sound because its detonating since the spark is comming at the wrong time.
Old 09-03-2009, 08:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I found some info on the vtec wiring and how totrick the ecu into thinking it has oil pressure for vtec so all I really need is the dizzy wiring.
OMG where did you find that info about the vtec oil pressure? I did a jdm B16 swap into my 93 del sol and everything went pretty smooth except this damn vtec oil pressure. The ecu's looking fro that oil pressure sensor but there is no sensor on the motor for it to plug into and my damn CEL wont go off. How did you do this?
Old 09-03-2009, 08:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jw15u
OMG where did you find that info about the vtec oil pressure? I did a jdm B16 swap into my 93 del sol and everything went pretty smooth except this damn vtec oil pressure. The ecu's looking fro that oil pressure sensor but there is no sensor on the motor for it to plug into and my damn CEL wont go off. How did you do this?
you can probably splice it into the regular Oil pressure sender, since I think that both sensors are only 1 wire anyway.