Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

How much Psi?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 06:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much Psi?

I am currently boosting 5 psi on a Turbonetics 60-1 on a stock B16. The most im going to push is 7 pounds on crome. Im thinking maybe 9 psi would be enough after a cometic head gasket and head studs. Friends said I could run 9 for now on a tune, but I don't trust 'em. Let me know any good info. if you have it.
Thanks, RJ
Old 01-07-2008, 08:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: How much Psi? (em1dude)

Go into the Forced Induction forum.

Read, alot.

Best advice you'll get on here.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:09 AM

I would'nt go no more than 8psi on stock internals
Old 01-07-2008, 10:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Forced Induction Forum

Everyone has their opinion on this matter, some say 6, some 8, some 10. I've seen several D series motors last for 3 months on 24psi with stock internals. If you want to play it really safe, just run 5psi till you get new internals.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:48 AM

True, but I have b-series. I'm playing it safe with 7 psi. Wouldn't it also depend on the size of the turbo? I had a JRSC on 10 pounds for a while and she ran strong. No problems. Thanks for the help though.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:38 AM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Default Re: (em1dude)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by em1dude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">True, but I have b-series. I'm playing it safe with 7 psi. Wouldn't it also depend on the size of the turbo? I had a JRSC on 10 pounds for a while and she ran strong. No problems. Thanks for the help though.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, the turbo's CFM output matters as to how much PSI you can run. More air = nessicates more fuel.

A larger turbo may be putting out more CFM (density) than a smaller turbo. Which means that there is more air packed into the charge.

This is the issue a lot of turbo people run into. They keep wanting to crank up the boost until BOOM. Blow up, rinse, repeat is the turbo honda way.

But you can check the F.I. forum to see if someone has your setup and how much is safe. However, I'd get it on a dyno and just tune for safety. Honda-tech has it's fair share of idiots as well as knowledgeable people. Everyone also has a different version of the word "reliabilty". People also may drive their cars in a different manner than you.

The only way to get a good answer is for everyone to be honest. For example, if you drive like a jackass, just state, "I drive like a jackass most of the time." People may flame and call you a ricer....but maybe you'll get an honest answer from someone else that drives like a jackass too. An answer from someone who barely ever floors it wouldn't work in this case since the driving styles are different. Dont be scared to be honest. Ask the people answering to be completely honest as well. Try to get as close to your actual situation as possible.

Good luck. However, trial and error are going to be your only REAL answers. Like I said...blow up, rinse, repeat.
Old 01-09-2008, 05:17 AM

Default Re: (B serious)

True. Trust me, I'm not scared to be honest. I'm still gonna run 7 psi and a street tune on crome for now. As soon as I get my cometic head gasket and head studs, I will then trust it for a little while. Even tuned, I never drive like that because I'm 17 and have received a reckless driving ticket in n.c. for doing NOTHING! We were rolling out to Hertford on night and we were like 8 deep so the cops pulled us and said we were going 87 in a 65. Anyways, I floor it whenever I get on the intersate and once or twice for about 10 seconds here and there. I usually save it all for the weekends and the track. Thanks for all of the help though, because thats what I've been trying to tell most people. It would make no sense to have a 40 trim on 10 psi, then a 70 trim on 10 psi pushing the same force. IF they did, then why the hell would the hp make such a difference! But yeah, for now, 7 psi on my 60-1 and I'll be pretty happy. I just need to build it to be able to put **** out for the big turbo I have on my stock b16.

What size head gasket do you think would be best for my motor? MY friend has a .076 cometic head gasket and it lowers compression down 1.2 less than stock. I thought that would be decent. Thanks for everything bro.
Old 01-09-2008, 05:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i wouldn't say worry abouty PSI as much as horsepower on a stock b series.

A b16 can handle 250whp, and you might be lucky to get 300 but if you daily it don't expect it to last long
Old 01-09-2008, 05:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

on alot of b-series motors you can run over 11 on stock internals. ls motors can hold sick amounts of boost but im not sure about a b16. i would guess it would be safe to run 9 psi.
Old 01-09-2008, 01:15 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by em1dude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">True. Trust me, I'm not scared to be honest. I'm still gonna run 7 psi and a street tune on crome for now. As soon as I get my cometic head gasket and head studs, I will then trust it for a little while. Even tuned, I never drive like that because I'm 17 and have received a reckless driving ticket in n.c. for doing NOTHING! We were rolling out to Hertford on night and we were like 8 deep so the cops pulled us and said we were going 87 in a 65. Anyways, I floor it whenever I get on the intersate and once or twice for about 10 seconds here and there. I usually save it all for the weekends and the track. Thanks for all of the help though, because thats what I've been trying to tell most people. It would make no sense to have a 40 trim on 10 psi, then a 70 trim on 10 psi pushing the same force. IF they did, then why the hell would the hp make such a difference! But yeah, for now, 7 psi on my 60-1 and I'll be pretty happy. I just need to build it to be able to put **** out for the big turbo I have on my stock b16.

What size head gasket do you think would be best for my motor? MY friend has a .076 cometic head gasket and it lowers compression down 1.2 less than stock. I thought that would be decent. Thanks for everything bro.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I wont lie man. I'm not a huge F.I. database. I dont know THAT MUCH about turboing hondas. Not enough to give you difinitive advice like that anyway. Good luck in the F.I. forum.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slo_hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">on alot of b-series motors you can run over 11 on stock internals. ls motors can hold sick amounts of boost but im not sure about a b16. i would guess it would be safe to run 9 psi. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Those are generic numbers, though. What about CFM #s from the turbo? Intercooler efficiency? Injector size? Tuning/tuning media? etc.
Old 01-09-2008, 01:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i wouldnt go past 5 i was running 7 a year and it blew. with same motor
Old 01-09-2008, 01:52 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: How much Psi? (2000siturboR)

1.) the B16 doesn't need a head gasket and head studs for your boost levels.

2.) with a good tune, you can make 300whp with fine reliability.

3.) go to the FI forum and don't look back. Ever.

PS a T60-1 at 5psi is basically worthless on a B16, by the way. Be smarter next time you choose a turbo for a small-displacement, no-boost application.
Old 01-09-2008, 04:41 PM

Default Re: How much Psi? (Archidictus)

Yeah, but I had no choice. I had a JRSC and he wanted to trade me for his whole setup so I did it. Couldn't do much about it. I could make more money in the long run if I wanted to sell the kit as well..
Old 01-09-2008, 06:06 PM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: How much Psi? (Archidictus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">1.) the B16 doesn't need a head gasket and head studs for your boost levels.

2.) with a good tune, you can make 300whp with fine reliability.

3.) go to the FI forum and don't look back. Ever.

PS a T60-1 at 5psi is basically worthless on a B16, by the way. Be smarter next time you choose a turbo for a small-displacement, no-boost application.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I couldnt agree more

Come visit us in the Forced Induction Forum and we'll help you out