Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

How many have ran into this type of problem changing a clutch. Bolts breaking??

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2004, 03:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many have ran into this type of problem changing a clutch. Bolts breaking??

Alright my friend and I are changing a clutch in this guys 98 DX. The problem we have ran into is 2 different bolts the one right above the clutch valve and the one right below the valve on the tranny broke while taking them out. Then on top of that the bolt at the top of the tranny closest to the distributor while taking it out it the threads well it was either cross threaded in there or something to because Im gonna have to heli coil that whole to.

Has anyone ever ran into a problem like this? I have never mananged to break Big #8 bolts while taking them out?? Either someone did some maintenance on this car before or Honda got crazy with the tranny install on this car.

Im not sure how Im gonna fix this the only thing that I know that I can do is just drill out the raming parts of the bolts in the holes and heli coil them?? Anyone else got any ideas?
Old 05-22-2004, 05:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: How many have ran into this type of problem changing a clutch. Bolts breaking?? (ringgold)

sounds like a shitty install by somebody in the past.if you can't carefully drill them out and re-tap,Helicoils will probably be your best bet.
Chris
Old 05-22-2004, 11:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How many have ran into this type of problem changing a clutch. Bolts breaking?? (TeamNextGenChri

I got a heli coil kit from a previously screwed up bolt hole on another car and I think that Im lucky enough to have a kit which is 10x1.25 and that is what the bolt size is for these trannie bolts I think??

Im gonna work on it some more tomorrow and hopefully I will get something accomplished??
Old 05-23-2004, 02:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How many have ran into this type of problem changing a clutch. Bolts breaking?? (TeamNextGenChri

are those tranny bolts that go into the block they are 10x1.25 right??
Old 05-23-2004, 02:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ringgold &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">are those tranny bolts that go into the block they are 10x1.25 right??
</TD></TR></TABLE>
i can't find that info anywhere-here's a free bump so maybe somebody will see this and be able to confirm.
Chris
Old 05-23-2004, 04:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

aight im thinking that we are just gonna install the tranny on this thing with those 2 front tranny bolts missing??? I know that it is shady but the owner of the car doesnt seem to care to much?? Is it gonna put to much strain or stress on any thing if those 2 bolts are missing? Im thinking it isnt as the tranny on this d16y7 has more mount bolts.

What do you guys think????
Old 05-23-2004, 04:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

make sure you have the dowel pins in there to help absorb the twisting forces,and use all the other bolts.i'd say it will be okay,but do it at your own risk.
Chris
Old 05-23-2004, 04:53 PM

are you talking about the two tranny bolts that hold the top of it to the block?

ironically, my friend and i ran into this same situation a few weeks ago. we decided to leave the tranny bolted to the block (top & bottom), and undo the mounts first- bad idea even with a tranny jack under it. those two bolts stripped the threading on the block right out.

the size is 12x1.75 and you will NOT be able to find a helicoil in that thread pitch. i found one 12x1.5 and we used that with new bolts; after running the tranny for a good month without those bolts, and having 0 problems.

but do so at your discretion.
Old 05-23-2004, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah man I said F It these tranny is just gonna be short a couple bolts. I think it is gonna be alright