Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

How bad is running 1 litre of oil short for 50,000 km?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2018, 03:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How bad is running 1 litre of oil short for 50,000 km?

Funny story. Maybe.

There are 2 lines on the oil dipstick for my em1, and I thought that having the oil anywhere inbetween the two lines was where it's supposed to be. So, I usually filled it closer to the bottom line.

But I recently filled it to the top line, and the engine runs noticeably smoother and more quietly. It's much nicer.

Thing is, I was running my car with the oil close to the bottom line for about 50,000 kms, since I got the em1 at 99,000 kms, to about 148,000 kms.

Is my running it with close to 1/4 missing oil for that long likely to have caused a lot of premature wear on the engine, or compression loss?
Old 01-02-2018, 01:53 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: How bad is running 1 litre of oil short for 50,000 km?

Could it cause it premature wear? Absolutely... How much, is something that we really can't answer.
Old 01-02-2018, 02:28 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Anywhere between the dots is fine.

Your car probably ran smoother because you filled up new oil to replace your old oil.
Old 01-02-2018, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by B serious
Anywhere between the dots is fine.

Your car probably ran smoother because you filled up new oil to replace your old oil.
I'm talking about 50,000 kms over the past 8 or so years, whenever I changed the oil, which was typically 3 times a year, I would fill it up to just above the bottom dot. So, it's not just 1 oil change I'm talking about, but many, many. The engine is not just a little more smooth-sounding with the oil to the top line, but a lot. It's so much nicer now.

My friend told me the bottom dot indicates 1 litre short (out of 4.25), while the top dot is where it's supposed to be filled up to.

I think I'll do a compression test sometime, and see if it shows anything notable.
Old 01-02-2018, 02:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 442 Likes on 384 Posts

May have had more wear on the bearings and rings, possibly cam lobes, but obviously nothing catastrophic has happened. No point worrying about it now, just keep chuggin along.
Old 01-02-2018, 03:05 PM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

funny story indeed.
Old 01-02-2018, 05:48 PM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by Delicieuxz
I'm talking about 50,000 kms over the past 8 or so years, whenever I changed the oil, which was typically 3 times a year, I would fill it up to just above the bottom dot. So, it's not just 1 oil change I'm talking about, but many, many. The engine is not just a little more smooth-sounding with the oil to the top line, but a lot. It's so much nicer now.

My friend told me the bottom dot indicates 1 litre short (out of 4.25), while the top dot is where it's supposed to be filled up to.

I think I'll do a compression test sometime, and see if it shows anything notable.
If you kept the oil at the bottom dot, then no additional wear should occur.

But you say you filled it to the bottom dot and drove it consistently. So really you let the oil go below the bottom dot periodically and topped it up to the bottom dot.

Of which, means much additional wear, most likely on the top end as the car makes sure to feed the bottom end first is my understanding.

Bottom dot is the minimum amount of oil the engine needs to operate normally. It's anything BELOW the bottom dot that the engine begins starving.
Old 01-02-2018, 07:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TomCat39
If you kept the oil at the bottom dot, then no additional wear should occur.

But you say you filled it to the bottom dot and drove it consistently. So really you let the oil go below the bottom dot periodically and topped it up to the bottom dot.

Of which, means much additional wear, most likely on the top end as the car makes sure to feed the bottom end first is my understanding.

Bottom dot is the minimum amount of oil the engine needs to operate normally. It's anything BELOW the bottom dot that the engine begins starving.
My Civic's not burning or leaking oil, and AFAIK it stays where I fill it to, until I change the oil again. Unless you're saying that a car normally loses some oil between oil changes.

All I know is that the engine has a rougher, drier sound when the oil is at the bottom dot, compared to at the top dot.
Old 01-03-2018, 05:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Guess you never bother to read the owner's manual? Maybe honda engineers doesnt know what they build or doing?
what was your main reason for filling it just below the dot?
I would think if you ran the car hard or spirit drive round bendy roads, the engine would suffer lack of oil when the car is rocking back and forth during high rpms. Like others have said, wears is certain, but how much is the question.
Old 01-03-2018, 06:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by civic402lx
Guess you never bother to read the owner's manual? Maybe honda engineers doesnt know what they build or doing?
what was your main reason for filling it just below the dot?
I would think if you ran the car hard or spirit drive round bendy roads, the engine would suffer lack of oil when the car is rocking back and forth during high rpms. Like others have said, wears is certain, but how much is the question.
I typically filled it to just above the bottom dot, and for the reason that I gave in the OP: "I thought that having the oil anywhere inbetween the two lines was where it's supposed to be. So, I usually filled it closer to the bottom line."

Also, you're right I haven't bothered to read a car's owner manual. It didn't come with it, either, being a used purchase.

Good thing I don't do track racing, then. However, there are lots of steep hill in my area, so the same thing could apply.
Old 01-03-2018, 06:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 442 Likes on 384 Posts

Don't think the jab there was necessary. I don't know many people that would crack open a shop manual to perform a DIY oil change on a 25 year old car.
Old 01-03-2018, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Chance EG
Don't think the jab there was necessary. I don't know many people that would crack open a shop manual to perform a DIY oil change on a 25 year old car.
i guess i am unlike most people, because i do. Just like with any purchase, although i dont read front to back, i do go through the maintenance section. Proper parts, lubricant, level, ect...
i also said owners manual, not shop manual. I believe there is a huge different between the 2.
i just think it is there, written, for a purposed. Yes, buying used vehicle may or may not come with it. But i can argue that it is quite simple to gather from the interweb. I supposed am very particular when it comes to maintenance and doing it properly will yeild longevity of the motor. Car is an investment for most people, at least for me it is, they (I) want it to go as long as it will. Especially, when you dont have extras money for more then 1 vehicle. Some do, thats great for them.
Old 01-03-2018, 11:58 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts

i guess i am unlike most people, because i do. Just like with any purchase, although i dont read front to back, i do go through the maintenance section. Proper parts, lubricant, level, ect...
i also said owners manual, not shop manual. I believe there is a huge different between the 2.
i just think it is there, written, for a purposed. Yes, buying used vehicle may or may not come with it. But i can argue that it is quite simple to gather from the interweb. I supposed am very particular when it comes to maintenance and doing it properly will yeild longevity of the motor. Car is an investment for most people, at least for me it is, they (I) want it to go as long as it will. Especially, when you dont have extras money for more then 1 vehicle. Some do, thats great for them.
Oil fill level on the dipstick is one of those things, that is such common knowledge it often goes unstated.... and therefore it is perfectly understandable that someone could have the wrong impression if never shown the correct way of doing it.

I run into similar situations as this all the time with my wife.
Old 01-03-2018, 04:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Agreed.