Notices

Oil dissapearing...

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2005, 09:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Oil dissapearing...

I am having a strange problem with my oil dissapearing. The last time i changed my oil i checked the level after a couple of weeks of driving and it was down to the lowest line! I filled it back up and ever since then not a drop dissapeared. Now i just changed my oil again and after checking it after about 200miles of driving i am again almost down to the lowest dot on the dipstick. Now i'm not burning oil because my car doesn't smoke at all, i get no visable blowby out of the valvecover, and my compression is good. I know if i was burning this much oil there would have to be a good bit of noticable smoke anyways.

Now i do however have a leaky return line. Is it possible that after changing the oil it is still really thin and leaks much more than after i have put about a thousand miles on it? This is my only guess why it would lose a bunch of oil like this and then after filling it back up it doesn't do it anymore
Old 07-25-2005, 09:40 AM
BCICAN

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Oil dissapearing... (SOHC_MShue)

just look at your lines to see if they are slimy or not. Also check your filter because some don't seal as well.....which is why OEM filters are
Old 07-25-2005, 09:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Oil dissapearing... (Dunc)

You probably are neglecting the fact that once your motor and oil filter fill with oil, you need to recheck it. Especially sounds right if once you refill, it never goes away again.....

Matt
Old 07-25-2005, 09:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oil dissapearing... (Johnyquest)

I had a similar problem for a while.

No smoke, good compression, no leaks, but I was still losing oil...

Then, I noticed oil coming out of my BOV and spraying all over my engine bay. So, I took off my one of my lower charge pipes and there it was! Oil all over the damn place... then I dumped a bunch out of my intercooler. Turns out my compressor seal was toast and all that oil was being deposited in my charge pipes and my intercooler.

I hope your situation is different and your turbo isn't spewing oil. But, I guess that could be something to check.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oil dissapearing... (Dunc)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dunc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just look at your lines to see if they are slimy or not. Also check your filter because some don't seal as well.....which is why OEM filters are </TD></TR></TABLE>
i only use oem
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Johnyquest &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You probably are neglecting the fact that once your motor and oil filter fill with oil, you need to recheck it. Especially sounds right if once you refill, it never goes away again.....

Matt</TD></TR></TABLE>
you are probably right, but should it be that much oil?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EJ1 wilcox &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I had a similar problem for a while.

No smoke, good compression, no leaks, but I was still losing oil...

Then, I noticed oil coming out of my BOV and spraying all over my engine bay. So, I took off my one of my lower charge pipes and there it was! Oil all over the damn place... then I dumped a bunch out of my intercooler. Turns out my compressor seal was toast and all that oil was being deposited in my charge pipes and my intercooler.

I hope your situation is different and your turbo isn't spewing oil. But, I guess that could be something to check. </TD></TR></TABLE>
i've checked it before and never had any in there. That would suck though
Old 07-25-2005, 09:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Oil dissapearing... (Johnyquest)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Johnyquest &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You probably are neglecting the fact that once your motor and oil filter fill with oil, you need to recheck it. Especially sounds right if once you refill, it never goes away again.....

Matt</TD></TR></TABLE>

Kia cars have a notorious problem of "phantom oil"... You fill it up, it is fine for a while, then you go to check it, and you are low... Then add a bit, drive for a while longer, and all of a sudden you have a quart too much oil in the engine.

I researched what the problem might be, and it turned out that many of the OEM dipsticks slid on their grommet. You jam the dipstick in and it pushes the metal part through the grommet a bit. Then you pull it out and it slips out a ways.

I know you have a Honda but maybe the same sort of thing has happened?
Old 07-25-2005, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oil dissapearing... (beepy)

its a possibility, but i'd think that some other people would be having the same problem as well.
Old 07-25-2005, 10:33 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

I found out it was one of my rubber seals in the back of the block that was slightly leaking, yet it was hot enough for it to evaporate, so it didn't show any visible signs, and thus "disappearing" oil. Check the back of the block and such.
Old 07-25-2005, 10:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Oil level will change when the oil is hot/cold.
Thats one thing.

As someone else said once you put oil in it check it, let it run for a while, drive a bit. Let it get through your oil lines and filter. Then check the level.
Old 07-25-2005, 10:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (TheShodan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TheShodan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I found out it was one of my rubber seals in the back of the block that was slightly leaking, yet it was hot enough for it to evaporate, so it didn't show any visible signs, and thus "disappearing" oil. Check the back of the block and such.</TD></TR></TABLE>
what seal?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dr. D-Series &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Oil level will change when the oil is hot/cold.
Thats one thing.

As someone else said once you put oil in it check it, let it run for a while, drive a bit. Let it get through your oil lines and filter. Then check the level.</TD></TR></TABLE>
yea i always check it when its cold. I guess i'll just keep an eye on it and see if it goes down again.