Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

engine overheating

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 08:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine overheating

my engine recently has started to rise in tempurature, and now its getting to a high point. i changed all my tubes already because there was some warping, and even flushed out the coolent and put in new. i tested for air holes and even changed the radiator cap and head gaskets for good measure. any other ideas ?
Old 10-03-2006, 01:30 PM

Default Re: engine overheating (g0tsilkk)

did you change the thermostat?
Old 10-03-2006, 02:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

About 8 years ago the OEM radiator in my 92Si began to loose the bond between the fins and the tubes. I had to replace it with one from a auto parts store.

See if you can push the fins with your finger.
Old 10-03-2006, 03:11 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by g0tsilkk &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">my engine recently has started to rise in tempurature, and now its getting to a high point. i changed all my tubes already because there was some warping, and even flushed out the coolent and put in new. i tested for air holes and even changed the radiator cap and head gaskets for good measure. any other ideas ?</TD></TR></TABLE>

A NEW head gasket don't mean it's sealing..

If your overflow canister is filling up before the car starts to get too hot, and you reciently replaced your thermostat, there's a good posibility that you have a warped head, cracked head, poor mating surfaces..

IF the canister is not filling up and shows NO signs of a head gasket, you might want to check your bypass hoses from the intake to the thermostat housing.. it allows hot water to warm the thermostat pellet and mix cold incoming water with hot water that's recirculating to try and maintain a constant tempurature..

I don't know that it's possible to install it backwards (Thermostat), but make sure the copper pellet/spring side is toward the engine and away from the hose..

Perhaps is your coolant fan working?

Old 10-03-2006, 05:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it could also be your water pump - how many miles are on it?

The thermostat is probably a good place to start. You can do a compression/leakdown test for the head gasket or cracks/warpage.
Old 10-03-2006, 06:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: engine overheating (ddd4114)

i agree thermostat and water pump
Old 10-03-2006, 06:44 PM

Default Re: engine overheating (1baddcivicsi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1baddcivicsi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i agree thermostat and water pump </TD></TR></TABLE>

Every time I have had a thermostat go bad, the car usually takes forever to warm up and has a hard time staying warm. Reason being, when they start to go bad, they usually stick open.

-Shane
Old 10-04-2006, 06:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what year is your car? after so many years, your radiator will get clogged up with deposits & gunk. like your arteties do from wating McDonalds. Some of the EG's have a 5/8" thick radiator that will really be affected by this. The 92-95 EX/Si use a thicker 1.25" radiator. It is a direct fit.
Old 10-04-2006, 06:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: engine overheating (nighttrain33)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nighttrain33 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Every time I have had a thermostat go bad, the car usually takes forever to warm up and has a hard time staying warm. Reason being, when they start to go bad, they usually stick open.

-Shane</TD></TR></TABLE>

I've personally never had one stick open. They've always stuck closed for me.
I think is a 50/50 chance.

When a car is over heating, I usually:
-Turn the car on and feel the radiator hoses.
--The top hose should get hot first, then when the thermostat opens, the bottom hose will also get hot. So if your car starts to overheat and the bottom hose is not hot, you need a thermostat.
-If the thermostat is opening, I then check to see if the fan is turning on.
--If the fan doesnt turn on, check the fan motor and then the fan switch(two wire sensor located on the thermostat housing).
-If all of that works, then you are probably looking at purchasing a new radiator.
Old 10-07-2006, 11:21 PM

Default Re: engine overheating (Slopoke)

thanks for all the help. so far i have checked everything you guys suggested, with the exception of getting a new radiator. my car is a 97 and its close to 90k. imma just try a full 90k tuneup and see if that does it. if anything i'll keep you updated.