Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

EJ8 harness to plug-in B18C1 swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 02:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 EJ8 harness to plug-in B18C1 swap

i'm putting in a gs-r into my 98dx, so i got a 98ex wiring harness to plug & play into my type-r ecu, but i apparently have to extend some wires to make some plugs reach the right sensor comfortably.. does any one know which wires to which plugs are the ones i have to extend from this harness??
Old 04-20-2011, 06:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EJ8 harness to plug-in B18C1 swap

...does anybody have an idea, can someone help me out with this?!?!
Old 04-20-2011, 07:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Search the FAQ. Don't be a lazy *** noob.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by rhymeshark916
lol, if i'm posting & asking is because i've searched thru "FAQ" & most of this board & others & i'm just stuck & can't find the answer i'm looking for.. i rather search lurk & read 1st before i have to post something asking for generous help just get a smartass reply like yours... but thnx for ur help anyhow jack***!
Old 04-21-2011, 04:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

some people on her are just dicks and cant actually answer a question, i honestly dont know why they are on here...

first thing you need to extend is the primary o2, an i believe the air temp sensor... that should be it.. are you putting a S2 intake mani on it .. i did that when i did my JDM gsr in my 97 dx hatch.. and i used a JDM GSR ecu so i didnt have to do the CFK trick and i could still pass emissions..
is your ecu a usdm or JDM ?
Old 04-21-2011, 07:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RoLLn98Ej6
lol, if i'm posting & asking is because i've searched thru "FAQ" & most of this board & others & i'm just stuck & can't find the answer i'm looking for.. i rather search lurk & read 1st before i have to post something asking for generous help just get a smartass reply like yours... but thnx for ur help anyhow jack***!
I doubt that you've searched. No one should have to answer this. There is a detailed write up in the FAQ sticky.

Originally Posted by ReDHaTcHyGuy
some people on her are just dicks and cant actually answer a question, i honestly dont know why they are on here...

first thing you need to extend is the primary o2, an i believe the air temp sensor... that should be it.. are you putting a S2 intake mani on it .. i did that when i did my JDM gsr in my 97 dx hatch.. and i used a JDM GSR ecu so i didnt have to do the CFK trick and i could still pass emissions..
Be a little more technical please.....

Last edited by rhymeshark916; 04-21-2011 at 07:39 PM.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

more technical? im pretty sure i answered him just fine.. if you feel you could do a better job maybe you should not have been like"search F'n n00b" and just gave home the answer he needed..
Old 04-21-2011, 10:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

more technical? im pretty sure i answered him just fine.. if you feel you could do a better job maybe you should not have been like"search F'n n00b" and just gave home the answer he needed..
Haha. You're doing a good job. What I was saying, he's just a straight up noob. You actually believed him that he used the search button? Assuming with is low post count, I don't think he did. He could of said, "I searched and didn't find what I need and that I need help." You and I know, and everyone, that we see this thread pop up daily. Fact, there's actually a current thread about a gsr swap into a eg8 and he didn't do his homework either. So I took a few seconds to dig up what he needed. Simple as that. Are we suppose to baby everyone here? That's not anyone's job.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Haha. You're doing a good job. What I was saying, he's just a straight up noob. You actually believed him that he used the search button? Assuming with is low post count, I don't think he did. He could of said, "I searched and didn't find what I need and that I need help." You and I know, and everyone, that we see this thread pop up daily. Fact, there's actually a current thread about a gsr swap into a eg8 and he didn't do his homework either. So I took a few seconds to dig up what he needed. Simple as that. Are we suppose to baby everyone here? That's not anyone's job.
hahaha... ohh nooo i'm a noob bcuz my post count is 2. you're pathetic!! just bcuz i don't post don't mean $#!+. i've been lurkin & reading most of the threads in this board for years now, even before i registered two years ago. thru write ups in this board & a few others i've been able to do most, if not all the work on my car myself. as a matter of fact just last week i replaced the lug studs in my car using a write up from this board w/ some links, & guess how i found it..using your famous "search button" you dumb dummy... and well i'm sure there is a thread about a gsr swap into a eg8, but i'm interested in a gsr swap into an ej6.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

cool man i really appreciate ur feedback & i will extend those two you mentioned. i also heard about extending the vtec cables & think i might do that bcuz i plugged the harness to the engine & those feel a little extra tight like they barely reached. there is a bunch of spare plugs that don't connect anywhere so i'll see what i do w/ those...& yeah it's a b18c1 & i have the stock usdm ecu that came with it, but my stock plugs don't match the ecu's, so my friend gave me his spare p73 jdm tyre-r ecu that plugs & plays right in perfectly so i won't have to use an adapter. as for the intake mani the dude i bought the engine from said it was a blox intake mani even though it doesn't say it anywhere on piece, but it's not the original stock gsr one.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:40 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

i'm putting in a gs-r into my 98dx, so i got a 98ex wiring harness to plug & play into my type-r ecu, but i apparently have to extend some wires to make some plugs reach the right sensor comfortably.. does any one know which wires to which plugs are the ones i have to extend from this harness??
I have a '98 EX with a '00 GSR swap. I can try to help you out if possible.

I know you're supposed to extend the crank position sensor wire, but I skipped it by using a JDM ECU (OBD2A PCT - also no need to worry about the evap purge solenoid).

You will need an extension for the O2 sensor. Rywire makes them at any length you'd like. I found a 16 inch extension to be perfect.

You'd need to do wiring for the intake air bypass (IAB), but I bypassed that by using a Skunk2 intake manifold.

Some other things to consider for my particular swap: EM1 rear t mount, EM1 timing belt mount, EM1 power steering pump, 94-95 del sol VTEC a/c bracket, D-series a/c compressor, stock a/c lines, GSR radiator hoses, dual core 1-1/4" in/out radiator, EM1 throttle cable, ITR throttle cable bracket, B16 header (yes, it will clear the oil pan and it won't give you weird length issues!).

And don't forget to do your timing belt and maintenance!
He might be a noob, but so are you. Anyway, this thread isn't about you, so I'll drop it.
Old 04-22-2011, 01:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NOFX

thanx nofx the more help the merrier bcuz sum of these things are not really mentioned in those honda swap books. i also got a 00 usdm gsr, i'm using a p73 jdm type-r ecu obd2a so i'll see if maybe i could skip the cps too. i got an older blox intake mani do you think i could maybe bypass the iab too??. i got the t bracket & a/c bracket from inlinefour. keeping off power steering. got gsr upper & del sol vtec lower hoses. i have my stock radiator, the throttle cable the motor came with & bracket, got greddy headers my friend gave me from his itr & the gsr exhaust meantime. bought timing belt & waterpump but i think the ones that are on are still good. got shift linkage motor came with, gsr tranny & new axles...did you have to do any harness extensions for the tranny plugs?? the one single sensor top side of the intake mani right behind the injectors whatever it's called for some reason the male part does not match the female part from the harness so i'm looking to replace that, & buying a new knock sensor to replace bcuz the vtec don't wanna kick in... sorry for the big block of text, i have horrible grammar & don't know where to break. but if you read this & reply i thank you & really appreciate it.
Old 04-22-2011, 01:16 AM
Technical Hero

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

The best thing to do is to start connecting the harness while the engine is outside the car. At this point you will be able to determine what needs to be lengthened. You will have to lengthen your secondary O2 either using an extension harness for plug and play or solder extension wires onto it. Like its been said above you'll have to wire the IAB's or get a Skunk2 type manifold that deletes them. Also you'll need to do something with your intake air temp sensor. The GSR is a round style like this:

, and yours is a squarish type like this:
You can either swap a round plug connector over to your harness or do something like this in your intake arm
The EVAP purge is a similar situation, the GSR and Civic have two different styles so you'll have to work that out as well.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanx nofx the more help the merrier bcuz sum of these things are not really mentioned in those honda swap books. i also got a 00 usdm gsr, i'm using a p73 jdm type-r ecu obd2a so i'll see if maybe i could skip the cps too. i got an older blox intake mani do you think i could maybe bypass the iab too??. i got the t bracket & a/c bracket from inlinefour. keeping off power steering. got gsr upper & del sol vtec lower hoses. i have my stock radiator, the throttle cable the motor came with & bracket, got greddy headers my friend gave me from his itr & the gsr exhaust meantime. bought timing belt & waterpump but i think the ones that are on are still good. got shift linkage motor came with, gsr tranny & new axles...did you have to do any harness extensions for the tranny plugs?? the one single sensor top side of the intake mani right behind the injectors whatever it's called for some reason the male part does not match the female part from the harness so i'm looking to replace that, & buying a new knock sensor to replace bcuz the vtec don't wanna kick in... sorry for the big block of text, i have horrible grammar & don't know where to break. but if you read this & reply i thank you & really appreciate it.

you dont need to worry about the IAB since your not using the stock GSR manifold..
Old 04-22-2011, 03:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by HondaPartsHero
The best thing to do is to start connecting the harness while the engine is outside the car. At this point you will be able to determine what needs to be lengthened. You will have to lengthen your secondary O2 either using an extension harness for plug and play or solder extension wires onto it. Like its been said above you'll have to wire the IAB's or get a Skunk2 type manifold that deletes them. Also you'll need to do something with your intake air temp sensor.
thanx for your input man i appreciate it, i have been working on the harness w/ the engine on the stand. i'm trying to prep everything to have it ready to swap all @ once w/ in a day or two of pulling the engine out, it's my daily & i don't have much downtime for the car. but i will extend the 2ndary O2 & i'll see what i end up doing the IAB since redhatchguy suggests not to worry about it since i'm not using the stock gsr intake mani.

thanx everyone helping me out w/ suggestions & dropping some more knowledge on me bcuz it's gonna be key to making the swap successful w/ the least complications possible.
Old 05-07-2011, 10:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hahaha... ohh nooo i'm a noob bcuz my post count is 2. you're pathetic!! just bcuz i don't post don't mean $#!+. i've been lurkin & reading most of the threads in this board for years now, even before i registered two years ago. thru write ups in this board & a few others i've been able to do most, if not all the work on my car myself. as a matter of fact just last week i replaced the lug studs in my car using a write up from this board w/ some links, & guess how i found it..using your famous "search button" you dumb dummy... and well i'm sure there is a thread about a gsr swap into a eg8, but i'm interested in a gsr swap into an ej6.
Originally Posted by NOFX

I know you're supposed to extend the crank position sensor wire, but I skipped it by using a JDM ECU (OBD2A PCT - also no need to worry about the evap purge solenoid).

You will need an extension for the O2 sensor. Rywire makes them at any length you'd like. I found a 16 inch extension to be perfect.

You'd need to do wiring for the intake air bypass (IAB), but I bypassed that by using a Skunk2 intake manifold.

Some other things to consider for my particular swap: EM1 rear t mount, EM1 timing belt mount, EM1 power steering pump, 94-95 del sol VTEC a/c bracket, D-series a/c compressor, stock a/c lines, GSR radiator hoses, dual core 1-1/4" in/out radiator, EM1 throttle cable, ITR throttle cable bracket, B16 header (yes, it will clear the oil pan and it won't give you weird length issues!).

And don't forget to do your timing belt and maintenance!

He might be a noob, but so are you. Anyway, this thread isn't about you, so I'll drop it.
Old 05-07-2011, 11:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bumpppppppppppppppppp