Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

eh3 sunroof leaks AHHH!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 04:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default eh3 sunroof leaks AHHH!!!

So i picked up a project si two weeks back and i noticed the floors were wet.The previous owner told me it was leaking around the windshield.So i removed the wipers and cowl.No rust holes,signs of damage what so ever.I decided to remove the carpet,then where the floors spent most of thier life soaked i removed all the sound deadening material.I sprayed water all around the windshield no leaks.So i hosed down the sunroof.Voila, it started to leak like crazy.The water was leaking in from the passengenger front corner.But the thing is the water is leaking down by the ecu wiring.I've done quite a bit of reaseach,but it turns out mostly the ef hatches have the problem with clogging.

They say to blow air into other say to replace the hoses.It also said eg/ejs had this problem corrected in 95++.I would be the lucky one with a 93.I've heard other people say the seals crap out and are extremely expenvise(glass roof btw).If the hose was to be clogged wouldn't the water escape somewhere else.Is there a way i can re route the hose to the outside of the car? I am home at nothing all day,i want to know your thoughts on it before i gut the interior...Any input would be great.Thanks for reading!
Old 10-05-2010, 07:03 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: eh3 sunroof leaks AHHH!!!

The 4 drain tubes all come out outside the car, two in the rear on the sides behind the rear bumper and 2 on the front, just ahead of the doors behind the front fenders. One of them is most likely clogged has a hole in it somewhere (mice love to chew things)
Old 10-05-2010, 08:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the reply.Canadians looking out for each other.Soo that being said where the water leaks theres a little pan/tray/catch thingy,which in turn gives the water a channel to run out..So its ok to have a leak like mine,does eveyone have an air tight seal on thier cars???
Old 10-05-2010, 09:39 AM
Seagull Management

Originally Posted by cjw_89
Thanks for the reply.Canadians looking out for each other.Soo that being said where the water leaks theres a little pan/tray/catch thingy,which in turn gives the water a channel to run out..So its ok to have a leak like mine,does eveyone have an air tight seal on thier cars???
You're welcome. Yep, exactly. Honda had the idea that a sunroof was probably going to leak around the seal so they put a tray under the whole thing with 4 drain tubes at the corners so at leat the water wouldn't get inside the car.
Old 10-05-2010, 02:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So do you reccomend me removing my headliner,interior panels and cleaning all four while im at it? Can i remove my inner fender liner and see the hoses from there? While we are on topic,what can i pick up locally to rust proof my floor and coat it?? Something from canadian tire would be ideal. Once again thanks for the reply.By far the most informative honda/acura site on the web
Old 10-05-2010, 02:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So do you reccomend me removing my headliner,interior panels and cleaning all four while im at it? Can i remove my inner fender liner and see the hoses from there? While we are on topic,what can i pick up locally to rust proof my floor and coat it?? Something from canadian tire would be ideal. Once again thanks for the reply.By far the most informative honda/acura site on the web
I would wire wheel the rust, then Use truck bed undercoating ( good and thick, provides a bit of sound deadening too) then throw some rust check over that.

Funds depending of course.

if not wire wheel and any rust paint.

I know i was told before about sunroofs is after you open it fully close it, then hit the middle button till it opens to its limits then re close. I'm not sure if it works but worth a shot.
Old 10-05-2010, 02:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i replaced my front drain lines on my civic and it doesnt leak anymore but it did take some time and i got mad quite quick! lol
Old 10-05-2010, 02:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well there must be a pin hole in the front line coming down by my ecu.I will replace it and spray the roof with water and see what happend.Then i will wire wheel my car nad spray/roll on some liner ...I have heard before that that gravel gaurd stuff will trap moisture though..What exactly will i get? Gravel/rock gaurd?? Or actual truck bed coating..If anyone can find a link to this please add.

Some one should make a sticky on the whole rust proofing/undercoating/sound deadning removal and what not to our hondas floor.If we don't have a floor we have NOTHING!! Thanks for the info fellas once again
Old 10-05-2010, 03:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well there must be a pin hole in the front line coming down by my ecu.I will replace it and spray the roof with water and see what happend.Then i will wire wheel my car nad spray/roll on some liner ...I have heard before that that gravel gaurd stuff will trap moisture though..What exactly will i get? Gravel/rock gaurd?? Or actual truck bed coating..If anyone can find a link to this please add.

Some one should make a sticky on the whole rust proofing/undercoating/sound deadning removal and what not to our hondas floor.If we don't have a floor we have NOTHING!! Thanks for the info fellas once again
Truck bed coating. pretty sure its water resisitant. then rust check over that.

If we don't have a floor, we use carpet, when the seat falls through we will use a 2x4 to hold it up.
Why? God only knows.
Old 10-05-2010, 05:25 PM
Seagull Management

Rust check over top of truck bed lining or rubberized undercoating wont really do much. If you put the rubberized undercoating on before you have any rust, IE brand new vehicle, then it works pretty well. Once you have rust something like rustcheck, krown or some other similar type of undercoating works better.

Lol at 2x4 to hold up seats, i've seen it done before numerous times, the joys of new brunswick salt.
Old 10-05-2010, 05:37 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

You can get Rustoleum truck bed lining.

Rust paint and thick liner to boot! =D
Old 10-05-2010, 06:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So wire wheel the **** out of the floor and the one rusty panel(driverside front go figure).Then get some rustoleum paint to stop rust in its tracks, then coat it in bedliner? That sounds right? So how about gravel gaurd?Whats is your thoughts on this stuff fellas ???

And 94eg8 im with you on that one.I live in nefoundland,im surrounded by salt water.As for the hatch i am driving, i believe he was a part of "londonautoclub.net" maybe.There are a few different stickers on the car.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:08 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

^Like I said. You can get the all in one Rustoleum truck bed lining paint and call it a day.
Old 10-06-2010, 07:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Perfect thanks.Im seriously debating on doing a write up on this.Think i should..Show some before and after pics.With a good explanation.. Also an easy title so people can search and find it fairly easy..
Old 10-06-2010, 12:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

And 94eg8 im with you on that one.I live in nefoundland,im surrounded by salt water.As for the hatch i am driving, i believe he was a part of "londonautoclub.net" maybe.There are a few different stickers on the car.
Im in the same boat. I'm completely surrounded by salt water too. thats why i live in Canadas ocean play ground