Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Help me identify this water leak in my EH3

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 07:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help me identify this water leak in my EH3

I have a little water leak in my EG hatch. Usually happens when it rains for a while, then the next day when I go out to drive I see the water drip from the passenger side behind the dash onto the floor mat. Its never THAT much but sometimes its more than other days, if it sits through like 2 days of rain before I take it out. I think it has to do with water building up in the cowl area. I have A/C and I checked to see I had all of the grommets in place on the firewall.

Any ideas?
Old 08-09-2010, 07:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help me identify this water leak in my EH3

This is the spot that gets wet.

Old 08-09-2010, 10:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

heater cores bad. bypass it if u dont need heat or get it fixed
Old 08-09-2010, 12:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wait.. is that a for sure answer? Wouldn't I leak coolant any day of the week. I am leaking WATER when it RAINS. I think it has to be something else...
Old 08-09-2010, 01:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could also be water coming from your windshield seal, or maybe your antenna. Try spraying the areas that could cause the leak with the hose and check and see if it gets wet that would be a way to trouble shoot a leak. Hope this helps.

Last edited by 92egdxhatch; 08-09-2010 at 01:44 PM. Reason: Misread
Old 08-09-2010, 02:28 PM
Trial User

My car used to leak water when it rained but only when my car was at a slant with the *** end up.Turned out to be the sunroof seal.I replaced that and window/door seals never happened again hope this helps
Old 08-09-2010, 04:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, I got a brand new windshield over a year ago. Its been doing this before the windshield and now after. I think therefore my windshield seals are good. I don't see how it could be the sunroof because wouldn't other things get wet as well?

How can it be the antenna? I have a block off plate over my antenna and the actual antenna is pushed down in the pillar.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I think my door seal or something is bad, but I don't know how THIS leak can be the door seal because I literally can see it drip down from directly above, which is behind the glovebox area.

The reason I think my door seals might be bad is because I have these rust spots on both sills.

Is that because of the seal around the door needing to be replaced or what?
Old 08-09-2010, 04:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

do you still have an inner fender.
and also check where the wires go through the firewall. from driving water can get up there
my best advice is to get your head under there with a flashlight and have a buddy hose it in different areas.

at first, i agreed with apexi...heater core.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hm.. yeah I have both of my inner fender liners
Old 08-09-2010, 05:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

There is a rubber seal for the antenna that's how the antenna could cause a leak. But what your showing doesn't look like that.
Old 08-09-2010, 05:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Dekorum
I have a little water leak in my EG hatch. Usually happens when it rains for a while, then the next day when I go out to drive I see the water drip from the passenger side behind the dash onto the floor mat. Its never THAT much but sometimes its more than other days, if it sits through like 2 days of rain before I take it out. I think it has to do with water building up in the cowl area. I have A/C and I checked to see I had all of the grommets in place on the firewall.

Any ideas?
I had the same problem with my old eg hatch.. If u take a flash light n stick ur head under by the clutch pedal n look up by the firewall, there I found a small hole of rust.. So everytime water get on my windshield it leaks to my driver floor.. Hope that helps.. I junk that **** n got a ek sick of rusted up cars.
Old 08-09-2010, 05:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh my bad I didn't see that it was ur passenger side.. Try taking off the glove box n look behind it.. Have someone spary water onto ur windshield n look for the leak that's what I did.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:03 PM
Trial User

[QUOTE=Dekorum;43256748]Ok, I got a brand new windshield over a year ago. Its been doing this before the windshield and now after. I think therefore my windshield seals are good. I don't see how it could be the sunroof because wouldn't other things get wet as well

Not really the water came through my sunroof and made its way down my pillar and out were the floor met the sill plate kinda like the pic but I could be wrong hope u find the problem
Old 08-10-2010, 07:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Check to see if there are any tears in the sunroof seal and door seal and check the drainage ports on the sunroof as well to make sure they aren't clogged
Old 08-10-2010, 09:53 AM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts

Nah -- all these answers are off-base. Contact user rickkane ... he had EXACTLY the same issue ... PM him ... he's real helpful. There's a gap b/w windshield and cowl ...
Old 08-10-2010, 01:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DeSchlong
Nah -- all these answers are off-base. Contact user rickkane ... he had EXACTLY the same issue ... PM him ... he's real helpful. There's a gap b/w windshield and cowl ...

Hahaha! I will do just that. Sounds good.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DeSchlong

Wow! I got a referral from the great deschlong! Woot. Ok on to your issue. You're right it's not coming from the sunroof. I had the exact same symptoms. What was happening to me was part of the weatherstrip was worn off the underneath of the black cowl. The water was running down through the fresh air intake for the cars ventilation system and dripping onto the carpet. If you pop the hood and look right where the black plastic cowling that runs along the windshield ends on the pass side you should see a gap right by the last fender bolt.
If you shine a light in there and move the plastic up a bit you should notice where there is some weatherstrip missing. This is what happened to me. I took the cowl off and re stripped it. Once you get the cowl off you will see where the weatherstrip was missing. Go to the hardware store and get some of the dense weatherstrip, take off the old stuff and put on the new. Reinstall and double check for any gaps above the fresh air intake. If you don't see any you're good to go. No more leaks.
Old 09-28-2010, 07:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Mine was a bit worse than that. Mine there was a whole rusted thru into the interior, in the drain channel that runs thru the frame rail to drain the cowl area.