Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

EG aftermarket radiator buying / fitting questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 08:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EG aftermarket radiator buying / fitting questions

Yo, so long time user of the awesome Tech-FAQ here, but never bothered to register because I could always seem to find the answers I needed by searching.

I have a '95 DX (D15B7) Civic Sedan since '98 and I'm trying to keep it running, pretty much stock, for a reliable gas-saver. So, I've learned to do a lot of work on this thing.

Anyway, I'm trying to decide if it is worth it to drop $265 to replace my leaky Toyo Radiator P/N: 19010-P07-024, or go with a decent aftermarket.

The inlet and outlet appear to be 1.25".

I searched and read these threads;

https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/can-anyone-recommend-good-brand-aftermarket-radiator-my-eg-hatch-build-2912430/
https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/more-aftermarket-radiator-dilema-3026037/

But I still have questions;

1) There is a radiator leak-fix shop at the tow truck place down the street, is this a good idea considering it is the stock original radiator?

2) Is the OEM the best choice for reliability on a stock civic?

3) Are some aftermarket radiators as reliable for a huge savings?

If the answer to #3 is yes, then

How can I know if my Toyo fan setup will bolt on to the aftermarket radiator? The product listings on ebay, rockauto, go-autoworks don't reassure me about this.

Here are some links I found:

http://www.go-autoworks-store.com/12sialras.html
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...772&cc=1168815
(except this one doesn't match my OEM Toyo P/N exactly)
What about the those TYC rads?

I'm in the USA/California if that matters for picking a source / brand / vendor.

So, far here is the list of rads people seem to recommend;

blackworks
mishimoto
koyo
fuidyne
nissin

But I want to spend $100-$200 only if possible, re-use my Toyo fan/shroud, and I don't need it for racing, etc.

Mishimoto keeps coming up, is it better than Toyo stock? Where is a good source?

This will be one of the last things to get this old EG back in action, 'cause I just did the rear main seal, tranny ISB, flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, oil pan gasket, and cleaned IACV. Oh, the front seal might be nearing the end, but that can wait, lol

Thanks!!

Last edited by dazebreak; 01-16-2013 at 08:41 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-17-2013, 05:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: EG aftermarket radiator buying / fitting questions

get whatever is cheapest for you. aluminum or plastic, not really a big deal. the plastic end tank ones usually have a lifetime warranty anyway.

a replacement radiator is about $65 after coupon from advance auto parts.

as far as the shroud goes, i don't see why it wouldn't fit. all 92-00 civic fans have the same mounting points.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.Radiatorbarn.com I have a '95 D15B7 also and my aluminium radiator was at my door the very next day (free shipping!). They have warehouses all across the country. It was like ~$60-70. Been running it for a couple of years with no problems and I live in the desert (110 degrees in summer). I also bought my A/C condenser from them and my A/C is ice cold.
It's easy to install 2 bolts, a wire and 2-4 hoses. Harest part is moving your fan over to the new radiator.
Note: I did have to buy a different radiator cap (autozone) because the neck was shorter than stock.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by kyden
as far as the shroud goes, i don't see why it wouldn't fit. all 92-00 civic fans have the same mounting points.
Really, are you sure? I read once on the forum that it was different depending on if you had the Toyo or the Denso. Not true you say?
Old 01-17-2013, 09:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by strategy400
Harest part is moving your fan over to the new radiator.
Why was it hard, specifically? Does the mounting not line up?
Old 01-17-2013, 11:25 AM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by dazebreak
No, I am pretty sure he was kidding. As in, it was the "hardest" part, but in reality it isn't hard at all.

Buy with confidence any of those brands you listed. You won't go wrong with Koyo. TYC has a lifetime warranty it seems. Mishimoto I think make some fancier ones but you don't need that on a stock Civic. I bought aftermarket and the fan bolted right up. Actually, the hardest part for me was removing some of the rusted nuts from the old rad.

I bought a j-yard used OEM Denso one once before but regretted it - price was 3/4 the cost of a new aftermarket, and it didn't last because it already had so many years on it.

EDIT: Brand I got was "Performance Radiator" (from http://www.cooldirect.ca/ ) - the logo has a little cactus on it. Works great.

Last edited by deschlong; 01-17-2013 at 01:07 PM.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Not to hijack your thread, but I'm considering also getting an aftermarket rad to replace my stock Denso unit. I've had great success with Radiator Barn in the past. If I recall, the one that came for my old 94 Accord was a CSF brand and it seemed pretty high quality.

Radiator Barn offers a standard replacement (11/16" core thickness) and a heavy-duty one (15/16" core thickness). Does this seem like a worthy upgrade or not worth the extra $10? Both are single-core I believe.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah I got a CSF and it does fine with brutal driving in hot mountain and desert temps, and it even has to cool my auto trans.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks guys for the advice. As far as the TYC Lifetime Warranty, I read the fine print,

This warranty is non-transferable and will be voided under any of the following conditions:

Failure due to natural/environment forces; either external or internal erosion, including effects of salt-air corrosion and electrolysis from internal cooling system fluids.
Of course since I live at the coast, the salt-air might kill it sooner, lol.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

There are a LOT of junk radiators out there. Do not buy the cheapest/ebay one.

in order of most reliable

1) name brand ALL aluminum ( the number one thing I replace at my shop that strands a car is POS plastic radiator )

2) factor radiator ( crap plastic but OEM radiators seem to last 10 years or so )

3) name brand aftermarket radiator

4) don't buy option four ( no name ebay/cheap radiator )
Old 01-17-2013, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JZiggy
Denso unit.
Denso makes good radiators.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It lined right up, just a lot of bolts etc. Not a big deal really.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

1) There is a radiator leak-fix shop at the tow truck place down the street, is this a good idea considering it is the stock original radiator?
A radiator shop will rod out (clean) and repair your radiator for ~$50-60 and it should be just as good as new. I think you must have metal tanks for this.
It so easy to order a new one on the web and have it sitting on your door then next day.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks...

I went with a Koyo Cooling basic plastic tank / aluminum rad that is supposed to replace the Toyo without hassle.

I think Koyo Cooling is the North American division of Koyorad, so should be decent.

As much as I would like an all aluminum rad, this one should be a good compromise between price and quality.

Saw they also make a plastic tank / copper core style rad, I guess it cools slightly better or something.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Can you share any part #'s? Always nice to be able to confirm that a particular part # fits a certain car. Thanks.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

steer clear from blackworks. i made the mistake of buying one for my coupe, the cap fitment is sketchy, had to remove the rubber boots underneath the close the hood, and could not bleed with a rad bleeding funnel.

Some people talk down on mishimoto but honestly, i have a mishimoto on my hatch and many friends run mishimoto, a lot cheaper than fluidyne and gets the job done. I would get a mishimoto for a budgeted build and just not do business with any blackworks brand products.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I bought a ebay aluminum dual core radiator for 125 shipped and added a mishimoto slim fan and shroud. As long as the welds are good, it is hard to improve the design of a radiator IMO. I hate the plastic end caps so I always upgrade to all aluminum when they crack.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JZiggy
Can you share any part #'s? Always nice to be able to confirm that a particular part # fits a certain car. Thanks.
Yup, there are two different part numbers;

A2273
W0133-1613155

It came in a Koyorad box.

The only thing is my Toyo Radiator (stock) had a post at the bottom for the fan shroud, and the fan shroud has a U-shape to fit into the post. The top has two bolts to hold it.

The new rad has 4 bolt holes instead. I had to use my longer 2 bolts from the top, and move them to the bottom to hold the radiator on. I also put some large diameter washers on because I wasn't too pleased with the coverage of the built-in washers on the existing bolts.

For the top, I use 2 bolts from my box of Civic bolts. They were basically the same, except a bit shorter, but they fit.

All in all, works fine. ~$75, not bad for cheap aftermarket stuff.