Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Dimmer switch questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 08:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dimmer switch questions

Yesterday I posted about how I don't know **** about wiring but proceeded to try and figure it all out.... 1) I actually figured it out but based off trial and more error lol 2) because of my error, everything is hooked up correctly but I now don't have dash lights, running lights, park lights, and turn signals...

Did some Google searching and of course searching here and a lot of people tend to get pointed to the dimmer switch being bad... I haven't found one yet but hopefully by tomorrow I will..

So let's say I do replace the dimmer switch, but the same problems still exist... What else would I look for?... I checked all of my fuses... All of them are good. Didn't see any loose wires anywhere that has any affect on that circuit. I'm basically hoping and praying it's the dimmer switch... I had another mechanic over the phone though, but he pointed to that as well... Is the dimmer switch going bad a common thing and does it always affect all those items... No matter if they're good or not?

Just wanted to get some extra opinions of possible.... Thank u for your help.... It is much appreciated
Old 07-18-2013, 08:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Dimmer switch questions

Were you blowing fuses admunst your trial and error? Maybe you missed a fuse, or burned out your potentiohmeter (dimmer switch) and/or burnt out your bulbs when hooking the power wires to ground......
Old 07-18-2013, 08:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Car?
Old 07-18-2013, 08:51 PM
GDD Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
Car?

EJ1

He was trying to wire up fog lights when this happened.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by slomofo
EJ1

He was trying to wire up fog lights when this happened.
Thanks Team Purple.

OP - Sounds like 10A dash fuse 19 is blown.
Old 07-19-2013, 03:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm going to check this out here shortly after pt... I could've swore I checked that free multiple times though... Unless I put it in the wrong spot which wouldn't surprise me in the least bit knowing how I am lol... I appreciate the responses btw... Very appreciated.

Initially I did blow a fuse... And I blew out the two parking lights in the back which I replaced last night... If the fuse is good, bulbs are good...how can I check to see if the switch itself is bad?

I put a multimeter to the plug that the dimmer switch goes into and it was giving feedback. But the switch itself I have no clue how to check... And if the switch itself is bad can I bypass it so the car recognizes something there is hooked up?
Old 07-19-2013, 09:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Voltage test fuse 19 and go from there. Click the Test Fuses link in my signature.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
Voltage test fuse 19 and go from there. Click the Test Fuses link in my signature.
I appreciate all of your help Ron. By far.

It ended up being fuse 19. What's crazy about the whole ordeal, is I did check that fuse like I was saying earlier, but for whatever reason I diIt'sdn't put a new fuse back in. I guess that's what a weeks worth of no sleep will do lol...It's funny because when you said that I kept saying to myself man I know I checked that fuse multiple times....and I did, but I overlooked it completely those last two days. So that morning when I saw your response I was thinking how you're usually on point with what you recommend (you've helped me in the past and it worked out) so I went to the BX bought a pack of fuses and said what the hell...check it again...print off the fuse diagram from a sticky on here and counted em down again.

This time around I actually had a little sleep...and what do you know...no fuse sitting in 19 haha...I was like really...referring to myself...once I did that I had to rewire my dimmer switch because I initially clipped it intending on jumping the wires to see what would happen and told myself I was going to try that out that following afternoon after I posted the response to you a couple days ago. Wired that back in to the original switch, put the fuse back in and everything was good.

Went to square one and started working on the fog lights again....read diagram after diagram on relays and switches. Being that my fogs didn't have any harnesses on them from being snipped in the past by the previous owner I didn't know what went where. And being that wiring is nothing close to what i'm remotely good at it took me forever to figure that all out. Got that all squared away and now I have working fog lights that are on a switch and relay. All normal lights work, dash included and everything is back to normal.

Point of the matter is, I appreciate your help. Felt good to accomplish this without having to pay somebody to figure out my wiring. Thanks again
Old 07-21-2013, 11:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member