Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

del sol vtec no spark checking for dizzy power amongst other things??

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 10:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default del sol vtec no spark checking for dizzy power amongst other things??

so last night i pulled my car out of my drive way to move it over and as it was sitting idling it just died, completely shut the motor off. my fuel pump is still coming on and i want to test my distributor for power since i'm not receiving any spark. so can someone tell me what pins do what and how much voltage should they each be receiving and how do you test the coil and what resistance should you see if it is good?
Old 02-09-2011, 11:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: del sol vtec no spark checking for dizzy power amongst other things??

bump before work, hoping for a notification in my email when i get offa work
Old 02-09-2011, 11:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: del sol vtec no spark checking for dizzy power amongst other things??

Remove the distributor cap, rotor, and inner cover. Then turn the key to ON(II) and measure voltage to body ground from the Blk/Yel wire attached to the coil.

There is a diagram link posted in the FAQs sticky that tells you how to test the coil.

Spark is also lost when the timing belt snaps. Have you checked that?
Old 02-09-2011, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

timing belt is still in one peice i checked that first
Old 02-09-2011, 11:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

did you stick a screw driver in the #1 wire and try to get an spark on the valve cover ground? if you did and still haven't gotten spark, proceed to the next steps. if

***if you have a buddy with a spare dizzy, you can try it before trying the next steps***

this might not be the correct way to do it, but I used a test light to check the dizzy.

remove the ecu fuse from the fusebox and remove the cap from the dizzy. now, you'll ground the alligator clip from the test light and have someone crank the motor while you put the tip of the test light near the coil. if you get an arc when cranking, replace your wires/cap/rotor.

if you don't get an arc, test the ICM (ignition control module) by looking for the + (positive) screw on the ICM and closing the circuit by leaving the alligator clip grounded and holding the test light to the + screw. have someone crank the motor and look at the test light, if the light "blinks/flashes" when being cranked, replace the coil. if the light stays solid and doesn't "blink/flash" then replace the ICM. the price of the ICM is quite expensive.

Daniel

***again, this is only a suggestion of how I did mine...idk if it's the correct way to do it, but I was able to diagnose my problem*** good luck

ninja edit: as I was typing this, you got a reply before...
Old 02-10-2011, 06:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for that idea mein, I'm gonna pull out my test light and try that in a few hours and see what I come up with. I'm hoping it's an easy coil replacement beacuse that would be nice but I've done a little reading on the icm and I have a bad feeling that it's gonna be my culprit due to the fact that when they go bad they just straight up die and you dont get symptoms.thanks for the help I'll post the results of the test as soon as I get done in a couple of hours
Old 04-19-2011, 07:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dragooner00
thanks for the help I'll post the results of the test as soon as I get done in a couple of hours
WTF noone ever puts the results!!!???