Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

dear God...Why!?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2003, 11:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (Jackson)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jackson &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If it hasn't happened then don't worry about it. No need to replace your subframe if you don't have to. Like I said before, I've had that bar on my car for a long time and I beat the **** out of my car. The beaks kit did its job, the subframe didnt. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

What spring rates do you usually run in the rear?
Old 10-05-2003, 11:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (tonyXcom)

I think it has more to do with excessive shock travel than spring rates. If the LCA has a long range of travel then the swaybar will be putting more stress on the subframe.
Old 10-05-2003, 11:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jackson &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If it hasn't happened then don't worry about it. No need to replace your subframe if you don't have to. Like I said before, I've had that bar on my car for a long time and I beat the **** out of my car. The beaks kit did its job, the subframe didnt. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.</TD></TR></TABLE>I don't plan on replacing it if it hasn't ripped, just seeing my options if it does.
Old 10-06-2003, 12:00 AM

Default Re: (RyanR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RyanR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think it has more to do with excessive shock travel than spring rates. If the LCA has a long range of travel then the swaybar will be putting more stress on the subframe.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I think that is a given, but wouldn't heavier spring rates limit the shock travel, thus reducing the range?
Old 10-06-2003, 12:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tonyXcom &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

What spring rates do you usually run in the rear?</TD></TR></TABLE>
I used the Tein HA.
Old 10-06-2003, 12:23 AM

Ok, so that should be 400lb springs, if you are running what they spec'd for the rear. I am running HA's too.
Old 10-06-2003, 02:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

damn dan....i cant beleive your were driving around your car like that....
i wonder how long that sh*t was like that.....
******* gona check my subframe right now!!********
good luck mang....
Old 10-06-2003, 05:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tonyXcom &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok, so that should be 400lb springs, if you are running what they spec'd for the rear. I am running HA's too.</TD></TR></TABLE>

No, TEIN HA is spec'd at 335 # Rear springs (And 447 # front springs). Not all that light but certainly not too heavy.

A Heavier spring will help but not ever eliminate the true problem which is a weak subframe.
Old 10-06-2003, 05:43 AM

some jb weld should do the trick!
Old 10-06-2003, 05:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: dear God...Why!?!?!? (purplehazek4)

It looks as if you will have to have a body shop with some seious honda knowledge repair what you already fixed!
Old 10-06-2003, 06:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: dear God...Why!?!?!? (B_Something)

damn dan. that ***** bad. good luck with the fix.

i heard about this. (thats why i havent bought the beaks kit myself...)
Old 10-06-2003, 07:17 AM

Default Re: dear God...Why!?!?!? (ek four)

would u guys still recommend on getting sway bars and a beaks kit or not. do they make a beaks kit for a del sol?
Old 10-06-2003, 07:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: dear God...Why!?!?!? (pr0jectezek1el)

Same kit for and EG......

WOW, makes me feel scetchy about my Progress 22mm bar, even though it mounts diff, but **** I don't need drama...

Good luck bro!!
Old 10-06-2003, 07:43 AM

Default Re: dear God...Why!?!?!? (purplehazek4)

purplehazek4 post some pics of ur car whe u get it fixed id like to see what it looks likes cause i had my subframe replaced a month ago and i want to compare. good luck
Old 10-06-2003, 07:44 AM

Default Re: (Mario)

thats the reason i prefer pay a bit more and use the SRR LCA's and comptech rear sway bar on my EK , to prevent something like that
Old 10-06-2003, 07:47 AM

Default Re: (Asahi)

I can't find it on Tien's site anymore, but the HA's for a EK were @600 front @400 rear.
Old 10-06-2003, 07:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I apologize i saw the DC2/EG subframe and thought of the Type-R rates which are 8/6 (447/335). For the EK they were 10/7 (558/391). You can find old info at http://www.tein.co.jp. Much higher than I would think a swayber would need to supplement added strain on a subframe. Coudl be a function of Geometery not sprinsg stiffness.

Old 10-06-2003, 10:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tonyXcom &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">based on this failure, in your opinion, do you think the comptech setup would suffer the same fate over time? It would appear that no matter how much bracing you put on our subframes it will ultimately fail because of the thinner metal.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I would think that the Comptech piece would be stronger, and actually offer much more support than the Beaks kit. Rather than having two independent flexing points, the comptech basically only has one, seeing that the tie bar is ultimately what prevents the subframe from being ripped out.
Old 10-06-2003, 05:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Fowler)

here's an interesting food for thought.....
purplehaze and I were talking about this whole, subframe...wtf is your problem breaking on me, ordeal and some other names came to mind. other EKs, whom have also had similar if not the same problems with their subframe, all run 5 lug on their cars. Noting that the ctr comes with 5 lug, but has a stronger subframe due to the added weight the 5 lug conversion adds. is this something that is just coincedince and we're just two guys with nothing better to talk about or did we stumble upon something??
Old 10-06-2003, 05:52 PM

Default Re: (VG-EG)

I dont really think that has any bearing on the issue.
Old 10-06-2003, 06:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tonyXcom &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I dont really think that has any bearing on the issue.</TD></TR></TABLE>

see james, i told you.
Old 10-06-2003, 06:09 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So is there anyone here who has ripped their subframe like that not driving super-agressively? I can easilly understand how a dedicated autocrosser could do this, but many people are of the opinion that "putting any swaybar on the rear of your Civic requires a Beaks kit because you'll rip your subframe if you don't!"

I can't see how daily driving a car with a nice suspension setup can tear sheetmetal unless you do something really idiotic. If anyone has any knowledge of people tearing their subframes as a result of daily driving their car, let me know, because I'm A.) curious and B.) looking into an SSR sway/tiebar combo for the rear of my hatch. I'm not buying a Beaks kit for it regardless, but I'd like to know if I'm heading for disaster or if everyone else is being overly cautious.

I don't autocross, road race or drive like a tool, btw.
Old 10-06-2003, 06:10 PM

Default Re: (Archidictus)

Damn, I can't remember who it was, but there was a guy with the ST sway bar on his car and he took a corner and the ENTIRE subframe came off of the car.
Old 10-06-2003, 06:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I remember a guy named phobchngga (or something to that effect), ripped out his subframe (without an SRK) and replaced the entire thing with with a CTR unit.

I think this serves as a testimony to the strength of the civic subframe. It's not meant to handle a bar that's 22mm thick. Even with an SRK, there is a chance of tearing it.

I think if you go with the SRR combo, which is pretty small, you really don't have anything to worry about.
Old 10-06-2003, 06:16 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tonyXcom &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Damn, I can't remember who it was, but there was a guy with the ST sway bar on his car and he took a corner and the ENTIRE subframe came off of the car.</TD></TR></TABLE>

No ****? LOL. Hook me up with that story.

Quick Reply: dear God...Why!?!?!?