Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Compression Test Results...Okay?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2004, 06:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Compression Test Results...Okay?

I have a civic with a 99 b18c1 block and a 99 si head...I just ran a compression test today and my results are as follows:

Cylinder #1: 193
Cylinder #2: 195
Cylinder #3: 175
Cylinder #4: 195

I put an ounce of oil into cylinder 3 and it jumped up to 190...but then for shitz I put an ounce in all of the cylinders and noticed that they all jumped up around 15-20 psi. Is this normal?

I was happy with the consistency in the 1st, 2nd, and 4th cylinders, but I'm kinda concerned about the 3rd...I know it isn't off by too too much, but I'm still kinda on edge. I ran the test because about a week ago I sucked some water into my cold air intake (the filter did not get submerged though, at least I think) and the car seems to run okay right now, but it does seem a little sluggish (or it could just be in my mind, you know how it is when something bad happens to your car ). Anyways, I'm probably going to get a valve adjustment soon...but any guidance/advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Oh yeah, I know this topic has been covered extensively in previous posts...but I just had to make sure 'cause I couldn't find any compression test results that matched mine or were very similar.

Old 10-29-2004, 06:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Compression Test Results...Okay? (SiOverGsR)

hmm.... cylinder 3 shows good life but the number is off of the others. Maybe its just a valve adjustment or maybe its something more, like rings or something.

Dont really know what to tell you other then try the valve adjustment and retest it and hope for better numbers. Maybe someone else could give a insite better then mine.
Old 10-29-2004, 06:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Compression Test Results...Okay? (SiOverGsR)

First off, numbers looks alright. They aren't the highest or the lowest that I've seen. They do vary a little more than I would like to see, but I don't think it is a great concern yet. I am pretty sure those are still within the standards given in the Helm's manual. Do a valve adjustment and re-test.

Second off, ditch the CAI. Those things aren't worth the couple of hp gains and the chance of ruining your engine.
Old 10-29-2004, 06:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Compression Test Results...Okay? (97mini-me)

Serious, I'm gonna ditch the CAI and maybe trade with someone who has an AEM short ram...or I might just saw the CAI in half and make my own short ram...I saw a couple of hatches hydrolock by my house last week after I had problems...luckily nothing too serious happened with my car...it was like an epiphany.
Old 10-29-2004, 06:55 PM
Multi-paradigm

Default Re: Compression Test Results...Okay? (97mini-me)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 97mini-me &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Second off, ditch the CAI. Those things aren't worth the couple of hp gains and the chance of ruining your engine. </TD></TR></TABLE>

...nor are they worth the extra $$ just for the extra length of piping.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SiOverGsR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">...or I might just saw the CAI in half and make my own short ram...</TD></TR></TABLE>

This works too. But I would try to sell it. Or trade it for a short ram+a little cash.