Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

catalytic converter light on help

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 04:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default catalytic converter light on help

on my 93 civic dx i have a light on in the guage cluster that looks like a catalytic converter. what does it mean?the engine check light is not on, just the catlalytic converter one. i have not found anything on this. any help is appreciated. thanks.
Old 01-10-2007, 04:40 PM

Default Re: catalytic converter light on help (saveacivic)

catlalytic converter light? is this some CARB ****?
Old 01-10-2007, 04:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

You might have a crossed wire somewhere on your plugs. This light is not supposed to light up on our USDM cars.

It's a useless JDM light that let's you know your catalytic converter is overheating.
Old 01-10-2007, 04:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: catalytic converter light on help (BlueIntegraBoy)

well that kinda makes sense b/c i converted my car to rhd using the rhd wire harness for the inside but used the usdm harness in the engine bay. any ideas if i am okay or not? thanks for the help guys this is driving me crazy.

and a hot catalytic converter is good for smog, no?.... hehe
Old 01-10-2007, 05:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: catalytic converter light on help (BlueIntegraBoy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlueIntegraBoy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You might have a crossed wire somewhere on your plugs. This light is not supposed to light up on our USDM cars.

It's a useless JDM light that let's you know your catalytic converter is overheating.</TD></TR></TABLE>

LOL learn something new every day thats a new one on me
god i am surprised al gore has not wrote a book about this one and how every car should have one LOL
Old 01-10-2007, 05:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by saveacivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well that kinda makes sense b/c i converted my car to rhd using the rhd wire harness for the inside but used the usdm harness in the engine bay. any ideas if i am okay or not? thanks for the help guys this is driving me crazy.

and a hot catalytic converter is good for smog, no?.... hehe</TD></TR></TABLE>

It's ok to drive. You want to warm the cat before smog, correct?

Is the light constantly on from since you converted to RHD?
Old 01-10-2007, 05:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by saveacivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well that kinda makes sense b/c i converted my car to rhd using the rhd wire harness for the inside but used the usdm harness in the engine bay. any ideas if i am okay or not? thanks for the help guys this is driving me crazy.

and a hot catalytic converter is good for smog, no?.... hehe</TD></TR></TABLE>

The car's a '93...don't they have one piece harnesses...?
Old 01-10-2007, 05:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: catalytic converter light on help (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

The car's a '93...don't they have one piece harnesses...?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Nope, the EK has the one piece. EG has two.
Old 01-10-2007, 05:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yes the light is constantly on now. the wires are identical from the rhd harness to the engine bay harness. it was plug and play (minus the v-tec wires but i am absolutely positive that those are correct). i did have to cut and connect the wires from the under dash going to the main interior harness under the carpet across the side. It has been almost 2 years but i remember one or two wires being differnt in color and having a friend look up in helms what they were. everything works great and no codes flash. the car is in pristine running condition so i wonder if this is just fine or not. i dont know if i am the only one having this issue or not because i dont really know anyone else with the rhd conversion done exactly as i did. i couldnt use the rhd engine harness as it is for the b-series and i chose to stay with my d-series. and i cannot get my hands on the rhd interior harness that i had to connect wires with. thanks for all the help again. much appreciated, no small detail is left unappreciated if anyone has any ideas. thanks

-if i remember correctly the wire that was different was one that went to the gas tank and the car wouldnt start. so i asked my friend to look it up as i said, and then it was perfectly fine. just in case you needed to know. thanks
Old 01-10-2007, 05:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (saveacivic)

If it bugs you too much, pull the bulb.
Old 01-10-2007, 05:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BlueIntegraBoy)

i did but i am just a stickler like that, i want it done right if it is an issue. if it makes no difference, i dont care then. I am going to a ref on thursday of next week to re-register the car and i want no issues. thanks
Old 01-10-2007, 05:32 PM
Darth ModerVader

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, if you are using a JDM cat with the temperature probe wired up, then you might have a problem. If you're still using the stock cat with no probe, the light is obviously just wired incorrectly and I'd just remove the bulb as others have suggested.
Old 01-10-2007, 05:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wow i never heard about a cat light i guess you do learn something everyday lol
Old 01-10-2007, 05:36 PM

Default Re: (no_rice_please)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by no_rice_please &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wow i never heard about a cat light i guess you do learn something everyday lol</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, I thought he was talking about the CEL at first. I never knew those existed and I'm not embarassed to say so, haha.
Old 01-10-2007, 05:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No i just have the usdm cat. i didnt know there was a temp probe wire. if there is and i am using the usdm cat, i should have an extra wire on the harness, no? if so is it a engine bay wire because there are no extra wires in the bay. there could have been an extra wire in the rear of the car though where the fuel tank top is under the rear seat...
Old 01-10-2007, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it seems i should go back and check the interior wiring again one of these weekends. any input appreciated.
Old 01-26-2007, 04:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by saveacivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">No i just have the usdm cat. i didnt know there was a temp probe wire. if there is and i am using the usdm cat, i should have an extra wire on the harness, no? if so is it a engine bay wire because there are no extra wires in the bay. there could have been an extra wire in the rear of the car though where the fuel tank top is under the rear seat... </TD></TR></TABLE>

The cat temp probe wire is a shielded wire that is seperate from the engine harness and is right in the middle of the cat. I'm not sure where it goes from there just yet though.
Old 01-28-2007, 11:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i pulled the bulb on it, i looked everywhere in helms and it looks like it means nothing to me. got the car inspected already. i passed... they checked my cluster and told me to change the "(O)" to "brake" and said to put DOT headlights on (which i just did, got rid of the jdm ones) and lastly they told me to hook the "srs" light up to flash when the car starts. they checked my srs visually and said it looked functional though so they didnt fail me. so i'm in the clear now! they did run a magnet over my firewall vin and that scared me but it passed (i told them i put the usdm vin back in anyway so i dont know why they were doing that). when i was leaving they told me that california law states nowhere that rhd is illegal. so it's all legit now...
Old 01-28-2007, 11:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by saveacivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i pulled the bulb on it, i looked everywhere in helms and it looks like it means nothing to me. got the car inspected already. i passed... they checked my cluster and told me to change the "(O)" to "brake" and said to put DOT headlights on (which i just did, got rid of the jdm ones) and lastly they told me to hook the "srs" light up to flash when the car starts. they checked my srs visually and said it looked functional though so they didnt fail me. so i'm in the clear now! they did run a magnet over my firewall vin and that scared me but it passed (i told them i put the usdm vin back in anyway so i dont know why they were doing that). when i was leaving they told me that california law states nowhere that rhd is illegal. so it's all legit now...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Congrats! What's the magnet for?
Old 01-28-2007, 12:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re:

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by saveacivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i pulled the bulb on it, i looked everywhere in helms and it looks like it means nothing to me. got the car inspected already. i passed... they checked my cluster and told me to change the "(O)" to "brake" and said to put DOT headlights on (which i just did, got rid of the jdm ones) and lastly they told me to hook the "srs" light up to flash when the car starts. they checked my srs visually and said it looked functional though so they didnt fail me. so i'm in the clear now! they did run a magnet over my firewall vin and that scared me but it passed (i told them i put the usdm vin back in anyway so i dont know why they were doing that). when i was leaving they told me that california law states nowhere that rhd is illegal. so it's all legit now...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well done bro!

Although having grew up in England and learnt to drive over there before I come to the USA I personally prefer the steering wheel on the left lol took me forever to get used to going to the left side to drive lol.......
Old 01-28-2007, 09:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Blueintegraboy; they did the magnet over the vin on the firewall and over the vin on the motor's block. I would assume the one for the firewall was to make sure that it was real? You can see where i welded the firewall if you look really well but I told them I did it so who knows. As for the vin on the block... no clue. Maybe it wasn't even a magnet, but they said it was!

Richard7968, I've been driving this car off and on since highscool when I started the project. But still, the hardest part to get used to is the turnsignals being on the right. Now I get in my Accord and think I'm hitting the turnsignals, and the windshield wipers mess up my car wash!
Old 01-29-2007, 02:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by saveacivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Blueintegraboy; they did the magnet over the vin on the firewall and over the vin on the motor's block. I would assume the one for the firewall was to make sure that it was real? You can see where i welded the firewall if you look really well but I told them I did it so who knows. As for the vin on the block... no clue. Maybe it wasn't even a magnet, but they said it was!

Richard7968, I've been driving this car off and on since highscool when I started the project. But still, the hardest part to get used to is the turnsignals being on the right. Now I get in my Accord and think I'm hitting the turnsignals, and the windshield wipers mess up my car wash! </TD></TR></TABLE>

lol

just remember in this country we drive on the right hand side of the road not the left like we do in England, Japan, Australia.........lol