Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Car wont turn over!!! HELP PLEASE!

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 08:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car wont turn over!!! HELP PLEASE!

k so i replaced my timing belt on a jdm b16a that im swapping in my 93 civic cx. thing started before i replaced the timing belt and now it wont turn over. all i did was replace belt and put in axles. any ideas??? anything helps thanks
Old 08-14-2008, 08:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Car wont turn over!!! HELP PLEASE! (93hatcheg)

I recently did a timing belt on my D16Y7 and also did a H23 DOHC prelude timing belt all about 3 weeks ago. I know that on the DOHC there were specific intructions on tightening the belt. You also had to make sure that EVERYTHING was aligned PERFECTLY. Oil pump, balancer shaft, crank pulley, both cam gears, etc. The H23 had 2 belts. My d16y7 was much easier and only used 1 belt.

If I remember correctly I think the instructions mentioned something about loosening the adjusting nut/bolt on the tensioneer, then rotate the engine 3 to 5 teeth (forgot which way) then immediately tighten the adjusting nut on the tensioneer. During this, you need to make sure that NOTHING jumps a tooth which can happen very easilly. Good luck with this. Timing belts can be a PAIN IN THE ***!!!
Old 08-14-2008, 09:01 PM

Default Re: Car wont turn over!!! HELP PLEASE! (sageuvagony)

cool thank you for the info i have never done this before but even if the stuff was outta time wouldnt the starter still turn? how do i know when the oild pump thing is alligned? pretty much ha if its not too much trouble how do you time a engine properly?
Old 08-14-2008, 09:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Car wont turn over!!! HELP PLEASE! (93hatcheg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93hatcheg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">cool thank you for the info i have never done this before but even if the stuff was outta time wouldnt the starter still turn? how do i know when the oild pump thing is alligned? pretty much ha if its not too much trouble how do you time a engine properly?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I highly recommend that you find an online manual for your engine or buy one at your local auto parts store. I can't give specific instructions since your engine is different. Replacing the timing belt on the DOHC simply wasn't just ripping off the old belt and sliding in the new one. We did that and then at the very end we realized that we had moved many things and that nothing was aligned. You could have serious consequences if things are severely out of time.

Perhaps someone else can help or provide instructions on how to change the timing belt on a JDM B16?

Also, when we did mine and his timing belts, we also replaced the water pumps and tensioneers at the same time since we were already down there.
Old 08-14-2008, 09:19 PM

Default Re: Car wont turn over!!! HELP PLEASE! (sageuvagony)

ok cool i really do appreciate all the help. thanks alot man