Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Car wants to stall sometimes and Loss of power

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 05:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car wants to stall sometimes and Loss of power

So recently my car [99 dx d16y7 5spd] has been acting weird, It drives fine but when the car warms up good it begins to want to stall at idle but it doesnt, the lights dim but when i give it gas its all good [at idle] , when i begin driving there is a loss of power for a couple of seconds or until i give it more gas.
I replaced the fuel filter and it still does the same. After the car acts up i begin driving and feel the loss of power. After I drive like this for a few minutes, it stops acting up. Im beginning to look at the alternator but I want to know what ya think.
Thanks
Old 03-13-2010, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Car wants to stall sometimes and Loss of power

is your cel shooting any codes? did you change your spark plugs, wires, rotor, distributor cap? if you are shooting any codes, try and fix those problems first. if it still occurs then change those parts listed above. check your fuel pressure too.. i've had a similar problem last week and my cel was shooting ignition coil and knock sensor so i changed the ignition coil and i re-wired my knock sensor correctly and it eliminated the problem.
Old 03-13-2010, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i know that i have a code for an 02 sensor and one for a speed sensor
Old 03-13-2010, 07:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

speed sensor will not rob power unless your motor has vtec (then it won't engage), and o2 sensor can definitely cause a loss of power, loss of mpg, and some claim a wierd odor from exhaust. i'd check your wiring and if that seems good then change your o2 sensor. see if that fixes your problem first before you move on to checking other things. there are a lot of different things that can cause the problem you have so it's just a matter of trying to figure out which one it actually is without changing out things that don't need to be touched.

just a list of some things that i would check:
plugs
wires
rotor
dis. cap
ignition coil
timing
o2 sensor ***
knock sensor
fuel filter
fuel pump
injectors
Old 03-13-2010, 08:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by japek
So recently my car [99 dx d16y7 5spd] has been acting weird, It drives fine but when the car warms up good it begins to want to stall at idle but it doesnt, the lights dim but when i give it gas its all good [at idle] , when i begin driving there is a loss of power for a couple of seconds or until i give it more gas.
I replaced the fuel filter and it still does the same. After the car acts up i begin driving and feel the loss of power. After I drive like this for a few minutes, it stops acting up. Im beginning to look at the alternator but I want to know what ya think.
Thanks
i'll put my money on a cracked exhaust manifold, seeing that is a Y7, i'm going through the same problem, crappy MPG, idle simply sucks *** (air inside car needs to be full blast to idle "decently") lower power in lower rpm.

check your spark plugs and let us know how burnt they are. i'm guessing, cracked exhaust manifold + air goes through the crack = running RICH which = all the symptoms you have (and me 2)
Old 03-15-2010, 08:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

checked codes and i got p0132 and p0141 both being o2 sensors
Old 03-16-2010, 07:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

soo i replaced the spark wires and it ran fine for about half an hour til i got home. Now i got off work and it began doing it again. If i rev the car and pop the clutch it runs fine and runs fine from then on. But the idle is still rough. Im thinking its the distributor.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

update..I added some fuel injector cleaner and it has not done it since..but there still is some shaking though but its very minor...