Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Caliper rubbing--->I want to grease the slides but the bolt keeps spinning

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 10:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Caliper rubbing--->I want to grease the slides but the bolt keeps spinning

I recently did a rear disc conversion on my car and my right rear caliper is sticking. It is rubbing causing my car not to roll when it is on a hill and it puts off a lot of brake dust for a rear wheel. I wanted to see if I could grease the slides to keep it from sticking but the top bolt (the one my finger is on) keeps spinning and going nowhere. There looks to be a couple of washers between the bolt and the caliper that the bottom bolt doesn't have. I've tried to use vice grips on the rubber boot (right of my finger) to maybe keep the bolt from spining but I've had no luck.

Any ideas on what I could do to solve this would be appreciated. I'm not sure if I am even taking off the right bolt to grease the slides.
Old 11-02-2006, 11:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hold down that small plate to the right of your finger...then unbolt it...
Old 11-02-2006, 11:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (bmoua)

Thanks for the quick response

I'll go try that right now
Old 11-02-2006, 11:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (auctionaccess)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by auctionaccess &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks for the quick response

I'll go try that right now</TD></TR></TABLE>

n/p
Old 11-02-2006, 11:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (bmoua)

Tried holding the plate with vice grips and the bolt still spins
Old 11-02-2006, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by auctionaccess &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Tried holding the plate with vice grips and the bolt still spins </TD></TR></TABLE>

Is it on tight? Maybe you can pull the caliper out and up with that bolt still on there?
Old 11-02-2006, 11:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by auctionaccess &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Tried holding the plate with vice grips and the bolt still spins </TD></TR></TABLE>

damn i dont know what to tell you...thats how i took them off...they should come right off...if not you can also try taking the entire caliper off...there are two bolts i believe 14mm one on top and one on the bottom of the caliper...the bolts can't really be seen in eyes view so you have to just feel for them...another thing, do you have your ebrake on or off? when touching the rear discs you should have the e-brake off...make sure to take precautions though...put the car in 1st gear and make sure your jack is steady and etc...try that bro...
Old 11-02-2006, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EL Vap133)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EL Vap133 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Is it on tight? Maybe you can pull the caliper out and up with that bolt still on there? </TD></TR></TABLE>

The top bolt wasn't on tight when I first touched it which leads me to think that it is stripped... it looks like a different bolt than the bottom one which was tight when I touched it. I think my mechanic put a different bolt in there and jammed it in there but I kinda don't want to take it to him because he's an ******* and will keep my car for a week.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bmoua &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">damn i dont know what to tell you...thats how i took them off...they should come right off...if not you can also try taking the entire caliper off...there are two bolts i believe 14mm one on top and one on the bottom of the caliper...the bolts can't really be seen in eyes view so you have to just feel for them...another thing to do you have your ebrake on or off? when touching the rear discs you should have the e-brake off...make sure to precautions though...put the car in 1st gear and make sure your jack is steady and etc...try that bro... </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yea, those bolts that hold the whole caliper on are prolly suck as expletive... I'll give it a try but that won't really help me with greasing the slides. I remember trying to take the entire thing off once before and even with gallons pb blaster, muscle and leverage it wouldn't budge. I do have the ebrake off and my car is on jack stands.
Old 11-02-2006, 01:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

try using the vise grip pliars again and just clamp the whole rubber boot/bolt with them and theb try unloosening the bolt. I think those slide pins are like 10 bucks for a new set at the parts store even it they get messed up you'll still have it out
Old 11-02-2006, 01:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (crexer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by crexer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">try using the vise grip pliars again and just clamp the whole rubber boot/bolt with them and theb try unloosening the bolt. I think those slide pins are like 10 bucks for a new set at the parts store even it they get messed up you'll still have it out </TD></TR></TABLE>

I tried this the first time with no luck and the bolt just keeps spinning.

I managed to get the caliper a little less stuck but it still rubs too much
Old 11-02-2006, 03:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hmm.. cut the bolt with a sawzall and remove the caliper, then heat it and try to get the bolt out that way. if not get a new caliper

Modified by crexer at 7:25 PM 11/2/2006
Old 11-02-2006, 03:19 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (crexer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by crexer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hmm.. cut he bolt with a saw zaw and remove the caliper, then heat it and try to get the bolt out that way. if not get a new caliper </TD></TR></TABLE>

1.) It's a "Sawzall" which would be a particular brand of reciprocating saw and

2.) put some PB and heat on the bitch and then use an air rachet. It'll come loose.

If you aren't aware - OP - the rear calipers aren't like the front. The piston screws in to the fluid reservoir on the rear calipers and so the sliding pins might not be your only problem, if they're even part of the problem.

Good luck, man.