Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Broke hood latch handle - how to replace

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 08:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Broke hood latch handle - how to replace

I went to go pull the hood latch last night and the damn plastic broke. Cable is fine, no binding, just old plastic I guess. I was looking at the latch handle and it looks like it is threaded. Is it possible to just buy the handle and thread it on without having to replace the entire cable assembly? If so how? Thanks!! Its for a 1998 Honda Civic EX.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:39 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

Received 221 Likes on 198 Posts
Default Re: Broke hood latch handle - how to replace

check out this website:
http://www.oemacuraparts.com/ or EBAY

I had to replace mine ('93 Civic 4dr LX) before and you have to remove the driver side fender to get better access.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

honda does not sell the handle separate from the cable, so you have to replace the whole thing. epic tuning makes a billet replacement handle if you want to go that route.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks. I did not look behind the kick panel that the assembly goes through. So is there no way to disconnect a bracket or something under the kick panel to swing the threaded part out and screw on a new handle? I really do not want to replace the entire assembly... thanks!

So could I basically buy a new assembly and screw off the handle? Will the handle screw off the assembly? I know there are threads but maybe its glued in or something? Thanks again.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, I ordered the billet handle. I see it has a setscrew - never had luck with setscrews as they tend to move and the handle may pivot, etc. Anyone use this handle before? Does it thread onto the shaft or fit over the plastic left from the snapped handle? Thanks.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pityocamptes
Ok, I ordered the billet handle. I see it has a setscrew - never had luck with setscrews as they tend to move and the handle may pivot, etc. Anyone use this handle before? Does it thread onto the shaft or fit over the plastic left from the snapped handle? Thanks.
They include instructions, I think you nip off the plastic left and then slide it on and then screw in the set screw.

When you install it, can you come back and report if it works.

Mine has been broken for a few years.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by motegicivic
They include instructions, I think you nip off the plastic left and then slide it on and then screw in the set screw.

When you install it, can you come back and report if it works.

Mine has been broken for a few years.

Will do... thx
Old 02-29-2012, 12:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I (and most other 96-2000 civic owners) also have this problem.

I went and got the cable since honda doesnt just sell the latch. Then I searched on here and found a little DIY... *I never used the cable....too much hassle in taking everything apart*

I did use the DIY on here....credit to original poster

Go to lowes (or any store like that, hd...etc)

buy t handle

http://www.lowes.com/pd_232605-1083-...toreBeanArray=

Cut off plastic nub

install new t handle

Crank it down

drink beer

:D

And save 2 hours, and 25 bucks.
Old 02-29-2012, 03:08 PM
O.G. triple O.G.

Received 221 Likes on 198 Posts

For Christ sake, don't ghetto rig the hood release like this guy ^^^.

OP, get a new cable release assembly and be done with. I can't stand when people have to rig **** up just to save $20. Damn people. I guess my sig says it all....

Here you go...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-GENUINE-...item337255f1bd
Old 02-29-2012, 04:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^^^

Guess you missed the part where I wrote that I "Went and got the cable" or in more clear terms, BOUGHT IT AT THE HONDA DEALER---- (so much for saving $20 bucks)

I admit I was lazy and didn't want to rip things apart to change a WORKING CABLE---

Clearly since the latch is broken on a ton of civics it may be a fairly weak spot in these cars. I know more people with 96-2000 civics that are driving around with a pair of pliers in the door to open their hood, well then I know that have a hood release latch.

Be that as it may--- my Rigged up release lever will not break....some may look at that as an upgrade, since I took a weak aspect of the vehicle and strengthened that. (Isnt that the point of upgrading cars? making them stronger? or faster or more durable etc etc?) Why do people put bigger wheels on cars? why do we replace D series with K series? --- I look at it the metal t handle as fixing it once and for all. I still have the OEM cable sitting on my tool box, and if the cable does ever snap, Ill replace the entire thing, until then though, I am much happier knowing that I wont be breaking this handle off anytime soon- (Fingers crossed anyhow)

When Honda re-engineers a hood release cable + lever and oodles of people don't report them breaking, I will be right there at my honda dealer to get a new one. Until that day, Im not going out of my way to replace a broken piece of my car, with another setup exactly the same as the first. Its not like a hood release is a "wear item" that you expect to replace such as an alternator or spark plug.
Old 02-29-2012, 04:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Can you post a link to the dyi on here?
Old 02-29-2012, 04:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I dont have the DYI anymore, however I can sum it up.

You have to start by using a razor to cut off the broken plastic remaining from your broken handle. You need to have it down to JUST the CABLE- no plastic remaining. I used a box cutter and it came off quite easily. Cut down the sides and remove--

Next get your tap wrench t-handle. The link provided above is for lowes, it was 4 bucks for me. You want the 1/8-1/4 model. Home depot, various hardware stores will have it, whatevers convenient to you.

Now a tap wrench is basically like a chuck on a drill. You start with it open---then with the little handle you tighten it down, and it closes onto the cable. (you can also use pliers to crank it down--this is what I did) It doesn't take long to close it down onto the cable....give her an extra turn and make sure shes on there good and tight

Now if you do use the wrench ^^^ which is the stick that is long ways, you'll want to remove it.

You can cut it down to the size you like---if the t handle sticks out further than your liking or whatever. I didnt cut mine, and it doesn't over hang out or anything. It isn't flush mounted like the original lever release though either. You do have the option of trimming -

I do have the original pic of it installed from the previous DIY....No my pic, mine looks the same though.
Old 02-29-2012, 04:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The only other DIY I know about is this one...that I can find

http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?t=201969

which is this option

Name:  IMGP8362.jpg
Views: 7241
Size:  11.5 KB

Name:  IMGP8361.jpg
Views: 4860
Size:  11.6 KB
My problem with this is the set screw
Name:  setscrew.jpg
Views: 4175
Size:  4.3 KB

I just wouldn't trust a small set screw to hold up to my yanking on the handle all the time.
The T-handle Ive used for about a year, and its never even wiggled. Its damn solid.

That and the guy in this DIY makes the parts himself, charges 20 bucks, etc. I think the $5 t -handle is a lot more sturdy, however thats just my opinion. I also wanted to do the job that moment, and lowes is right in my town, where as Id have to wait for shipping, etc. I wasn't much a fan of using the pliers anymore.

Up to everyone to make their own decisions, and its nice to at least have choices.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

For the T handle method, does the t part just slide off, or you have to cut it off?

Also, how hard is it to grab since sort of straight?
Old 03-01-2012, 07:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I didnt use the wrench part - I tightened mine down with some channel lock pliers.
I *think* it just slides out tho---you slide in, so you have something to turn, then slide out when your tight.

In my case, I used pliers b/c I wanted it TIGHT---

Grabbing it is easy as pie--- I mean it doesn't need a ton of effort to pull the cable, think about how easy it is to open the latch when it is there, 2 fingers is more then enough. The T-handle just gives you a little something to grab. I easily use my thumb and pointer finger and never have an issue to open it.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Got my latch from epic tuning. Took like 10 minutes to replace. Removed kick panel, took a pair of pliers held onto plastic piece sheath that was attached to the old latch (plastic is over the metal rod for latch assembly) - heated up the plastic with lighter for about 10 seconds (plastic actually started to burn a little - had to blow flame out) and it slide right off the metal while pulling with the pliers. Placed billet latch on, tightened set screw, replaced kick panel, and all works very well!!!
Old 03-05-2012, 11:19 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I just can't see paying that kind of money for that piece. I ordered the one pictured on post #13 over the weekend. $20.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
I just can't see paying that kind of money for that piece. I ordered the one pictured on post #13 over the weekend. $20.

I figured a couple more bucks wouldn't break the bank...
Old 03-05-2012, 12:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
Did that include shipping?
Old 03-05-2012, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Honda should be paying for it...not us at all---