Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

brake upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 02:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake upgrade

i want to upgrade the brakes on my eg all around.
i've decided to go with either a full integra disc conversion or 99/00 si conversion.
i read on this thread https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=152884
that si brakes are the same as teg brakes but some guy around me said he tried it and it will not work??!
any input? thanks in advance for any help
Old 04-12-2006, 02:35 PM
#1 Super Guy

Received 124 Likes on 118 Posts
Default Re: brake upgrade (CivicVX94)

The Integra & 99-00 Si brakes are almost identicle. The only difference is the actual caliper piston is slightly smaller on the Si (caliper itself is same size). If you use the Si brakes you want the smaller sized 7/8" master cylinder (get 93-95 civic EX 2dr). If you use an integra master cylinder, you want a larger 15/16" master cylinder (get 91 Civic EX 4dr).

Both the master cylinders I recomended will bolt directly to your stock booster. Your going to have to figure out which e-brake cables your gonna need because you didn't specify exactly which chassis you need... I used integra cables on my 94 hatchback.

Personally I would go with integra brakes so you can use the front & rear lower control arms and the sway bars too. The 99-00 Si LCAs don't work on an EG...

The only other thing you will need to find is a 4040 proportioning valve from an older non ABS integra. It will help maintain proper brake bias after the swap to rear disc brakes...

Always perfrom a full brake job when doing a brake swap. It's easier & they will last much longer too...
Old 04-12-2006, 08:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: brake upgrade (94eg!)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94eg! &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The Integra & 99-00 Si brakes are almost identicle. The only difference is the actual caliper piston is slightly smaller on the Si (caliper itself is same size). If you use the Si brakes you want the smaller sized 7/8" master cylinder (get 93-95 civic EX 2dr). If you use an integra master cylinder, you want a larger 15/16" master cylinder (get 91 Civic EX 4dr).

Both the master cylinders I recomended will bolt directly to your stock booster. Your going to have to figure out which e-brake cables your gonna need because you didn't specify exactly which chassis you need... I used integra cables on my 94 hatchback.

Personally I would go with integra brakes so you can use the front & rear lower control arms and the sway bars too. The 99-00 Si LCAs don't work on an EG...

The only other thing you will need to find is a 4040 proportioning valve from an older non ABS integra. It will help maintain proper brake bias after the swap to rear disc brakes...

Always perfrom a full brake job when doing a brake swap. It's easier & they will last much longer too...</TD></TR></TABLE>
great thanks a lot man.
i still have a question tho, if i do go with si brakes, which lcs's should i use?
thanks again for your help
Old 04-12-2006, 09:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well..... u can go with a 94 and up integra brake set-up. They are all 10.3 in front rotors. You should also change out your master cylinder and booster to a 15/16th or a 1in. I saw some guy selling master/boosters off ITR's for cheap a few days ago. If u want bigger than 10.3's BUT still want it to fit under an OEM 15in wheel. GO with re-drilled rotors 11.1 in and and ITR brake caliper, Legend, or NSX. if u want to go with 11.1's let me know. I have some re-drill rotors. also... what model is your car. You will need integra knuckles no matter what upgrade u do,
Old 04-12-2006, 09:13 PM

Out of every

Default Re: brake upgrade (cueballsi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cueballsi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well..... u can go with a 94 and up integra brake set-up. They are all 10.3 in front rotors. You should also change out your master cylinder and booster to a 15/16th or a 1in. I saw some guy selling master/boosters off ITR's for cheap a few days ago. If u want bigger than 10.3's BUT still want it to fit under an OEM 15in wheel. GO with re-drilled rotors 11.1 in and and ITR brake caliper, Legend, or NSX. if u want to go with 11.1's let me know. I have some re-drill rotors. also... what model is your car. You will need integra knuckles no matter what upgrade u do, </TD></TR></TABLE>

sorry i dont know if you want to go re drilled rotors just for the fact that they are pointless. they are mainly for looks and do about the same as oem rotors. redrilled rotors are also more likely to crack. if you dont believe me then here read this for ***** and giggles https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1437513
Old 04-12-2006, 10:38 PM
#1 Super Guy

Default Re: brake upgrade (e gee two)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CivicVX94 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
great thanks a lot man.
i still have a question tho, if i do go with si brakes, which lcs's should i use?
thanks again for your help </TD></TR></TABLE>

You will have to use your stock LCAs. You just won't have provisions for sway-bars (unless you already have them)...
Old 04-13-2006, 07:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: brake upgrade (94eg!)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94eg! &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You will have to use your stock LCAs. You just won't have provisions for sway-bars (unless you already have them)...</TD></TR></TABLE>
if i were to upgrade my lca's to aftermarket ones (like megan racing or something) could i use a sway bar then? if so, do i buy it for 92-95 civic or a 99/00 si?

Thanks to everyone for your help and for that link, i read pretty much the whole thing.
Old 04-13-2006, 07:20 AM
#1 Super Guy

They only make aftermarket LCAs for the rear of these cars. You could use a sway-bar if you added them. Keep in mind that most of them are crap though, and they offer you nothing for the added cost (questionable bushing design too). You would be better off buying some used integra rear LCAs when it comes time to put a swaybar on. Also, you cannot use 99-00 Si rear LCAs because they are over an inch too long for an EG or DC.

As for the front, if you don't already have a sway-bar there, you will have to buy integra LCAs (99-00 Si ones are different & won't work).

Old 04-13-2006, 08:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: brake upgrade (e gee two)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by e gee two &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

sorry i dont know if you want to go re drilled rotors just for the fact that they are pointless. they are mainly for looks and do about the same as oem rotors. redrilled rotors are also more likely to crack. if you dont believe me then here read this for ***** and giggles https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1437513 </TD></TR></TABLE>

Redrilled rotors aren't the same as cross-drilled rotors man. The guy was talking about 5 lug rotors redrilled to fit on the 4 lug hub.
Old 04-13-2006, 12:06 PM

Out of every

Default Re: brake upgrade (97ShLude)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 97ShLude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Redrilled rotors aren't the same as cross-drilled rotors man. The guy was talking about 5 lug rotors redrilled to fit on the 4 lug hub.</TD></TR></TABLE>

haha... my bad i thought he was talking about that. oh i just read it over now i get it.

my bad on that one disreguard that post. well the link i put is also useful for this discussion