Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

brake probelms 94 civic

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 03:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake probelms 94 civic

ok, so my brakes engauge at the BOTTOM of the pedal. i just blead them, but i could not keep pressure on them before the bleeder was opened cause it was soo close to the floor, that nothing would even come out once the bleeder was opened. i blead them by opening the bleeder, depressing the brake pedal to the floor, closing the bleeder, and letting the pedal up.

should i go back and bleed them by applying pressure to the pedal before the bleeder is opened, or is there some sort of adjustment? what about a new master cylinder?
Old 05-29-2007, 09:00 AM

Default Re: brake probelms 94 civic (spoolinegsr)

bump for help please.
Old 05-29-2007, 09:04 AM

you did it wrong.... leave the bleeder closed, step on brake pedal 3 or 4 times, holding brake pedal open bleeder and after about a second close the bleeder....
do everything again a couple times... start from the rear brakes to front.
Old 05-29-2007, 09:08 AM

Default Re: brake probelms 94 civic (truevietluv636)

its hard bleeding brakes by yourself if your doing it that way, i suggest if you bleed bakes alot go buy a air powered vacuum brake bleeder.... runs around $100+...
Old 05-29-2007, 09:25 AM

uh you could have messed up ur mastercylinder, because you put the brakes to the floor. ur suppose to put a brick on da bottom of the brake pedal, and press it only to that much, other wise you mess up ur piston in the master cylinder. and theres a guide on here on how to bleed brakes, you might want to read it before you do it.
Old 05-29-2007, 09:46 AM

Default Re: brake probelms 94 civic (vi3tromanc3r)

wtf. i bleed brakes weekly in multiple race cars, and never have heard any of this stuff about messing up the piston if the pedal goes to the floor. i had another person helping me. this is what i did:

i sat in the car. person #2 started at the passenger rear drum. he would open the bleeder valve. i would depress the pedal to the floor and hold it there. he would let the fluid squirt out through a tube into a bottle. when it was done coming out, he would close the bleeder valve. i would then lift up on the pedal. we would do this until there was no more air, and it was all clean fluid (going through the resivor about once per caliper). we did the drivers rear next, then the passenger front, and then the drivers front.

i know on my old prelude, i would hold the brakes at a stop sign, and the pedal would sink to the floor. this was a sign for a new master cylinder. i am just confused as to why my brakes only start to engage at the BOTTOM of the pedal. it does not feel safe at ALL to me. on my other civic, it has a full brake system, but it engauges right at the top of the pedal.
Old 05-29-2007, 09:52 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vi3tromanc3r &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">uh you could have messed up ur mastercylinder, because you put the brakes to the floor. ur suppose to put a brick on da bottom of the brake pedal, and press it only to that much, other wise you mess up ur piston in the master cylinder. and theres a guide on here on how to bleed brakes, you might want to read it before you do it. </TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah that's true, pressing your pedal too far to the floor can mess up the master, it's just not really that common though. i would suggest getting a new master and re-bleed. see what happens.
Old 05-29-2007, 09:57 AM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: brake probelms 94 civic (Mr.EM1_EK)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mr.EM1_EK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah that's true, pressing your pedal too far to the floor can mess up the master, it's just not really that common though. i would suggest getting a new master and re-bleed. see what happens.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Um...no. The only way you can hurt your MC by pushing the pedal to the floor is if it starts resisting like it should and you double-foot it as hard as you can until it breaks. Only an idiot would do this and the OP obviously does not fall into that category.

I know it's a simple question, but how are the pads? If the pads are really thin, the engagement point will move further and further down the pedal's articulation arc. Also, are all the brake lines intact and when did the problem start? Has it always done this?
Old 05-29-2007, 10:02 AM

Default Re: brake probelms 94 civic (Archidictus)

i have only owned the car for about a week, so i am not sure on the history. it surprised me a little when i first drove it, but the previous owner had told me the brakes needed to be blead.

the pads looked pretty good, and there was no riviting or chunks missing out of either rotor. the onlt thing i can think if may be to try and re-bleed while applying pressure, as the way i did it did not build up any more pressure in the system, just cleaned it.
Old 05-29-2007, 10:09 AM
Unceasing Measure

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by spoolinegsr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have only owned the car for about a week, so i am not sure on the history. it surprised me a little when i first drove it, but the previous owner had told me the brakes needed to be blead.

the pads looked pretty good, and there was no riviting or chunks missing out of either rotor. the onlt thing i can think if may be to try and re-bleed while applying pressure, as the way i did it did not build up any more pressure in the system, just cleaned it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you pump the brakes a lot does the engagement move up the pedal arc? Does the idle fluctuate at all when you apply the brakes? If so, the booster might be the problem. I've seen them go bad pretty frequently on higher-mileage cars...
Old 05-29-2007, 10:49 AM

neither happens while the car is running. it is not the booster. i had it unhooked in my coupe for a while, and i know what it is like to drive without a booster. it is nowhere near the same feeling.

it does not move up the arc when the car is off either.

the bleeder valve on the drivers front caliper was clogged tho. i replaced it, but nothing has changed.
Old 05-29-2007, 11:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It sounds like you have siezed slide pin on the calipers. I assume that you have no loss of brake fluid? I guess it could also be a bad M/C but you should get a increase in pedal feel when you pump it with the car off.
Old 05-29-2007, 11:59 AM

Default Re: brake probelms 94 civic (instructor74)

funny you mention one of the calipers could be messed up. the entire drivers front caliper assembly MOVES whenever the pedal is depressed. should i rip it apart and re-grease the slider? could the piston itself be seized? i will get a video of this tonight when i get off work.
Old 05-29-2007, 01:19 PM

someone mentioned also that it could be that i need to adjust the rear drums?
Old 05-29-2007, 02:16 PM
Unceasing Measure

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by spoolinegsr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">someone mentioned also that it could be that i need to adjust the rear drums?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Possibly. If the shoes have been there for 200k miles, they could be so far worn that the pedal's neutral position is below the stop moment for the master cylinder. That's one of the reasons I asked if your pads were worn
Old 05-29-2007, 02:24 PM

the car has 180k on it. i should probally check the drums about now. the front pads are fine.
Old 05-29-2007, 02:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

are you opening the bleeder valve before you press the pedal?
Old 05-29-2007, 03:15 PM
Unceasing Measure

Default Re: brake probelms 94 civic (ek99civic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ek99civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">are you opening the bleeder valve before you press the pedal?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Dude's done the bleeding thing before. He's got it under control. It's obviously not an air-in-the-lines problem at this point. Read!
Old 05-29-2007, 04:27 PM

im going to check the drums tonight when i get off of work.
Old 05-29-2007, 04:33 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by spoolinegsr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im going to check the drums tonight when i get off of work.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah maybe a leaky wheel cyl., ive seen em that bad before, but usually you would see your drum soaked with brake fluid. like you said try to adjust em, let us know whats up.
Old 05-30-2007, 08:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Possibly. If the shoes have been there for 200k miles, they could be so far worn that the pedal's neutral position is below the stop moment for the master cylinder. That's one of the reasons I asked if your pads were worn </TD></TR></TABLE>
It sounds like you might of found the problem. There should be almost no movement in the caliper assy when you press the brake pedal. The disk and pads should be in touching at all times. If I where you I would pull the caliper off both sides of the car and remove clean and relube the slide pins with a high quality synthetic caliper lube. DO NOT USE PETROLEUM based lubes it will cause the rubber to swell and make the caliper bind. Make sure and replace any worn or damaged parts. It might be cheaper and easier to replace the caliper with a remand unit and know that you don't have any problems.
Old 05-30-2007, 11:38 AM

Default Re: brake probelms 94 civic (instructor74)

are you talking about the front disc's or the rear drums, or both?