Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Boost or N/A???

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2005, 08:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boost or N/A???

well i did some searching but not really sure where exaclty to look for this answer and where to post so ill try it here, but heres my question. im wondering what is more expensive and harder to maintain a naturally aspired engine or a boosted engine ?

also whats the diffrence between a short block and a long block anything ?
Old 11-09-2005, 09:14 AM

Default Re: Boost or N/A??? (JDM SLEEP3R)

Short block refers to the block, pistons, rods, crank part of the engine. A long block is the complete motor: block and head.

Both NA and boost are fairly expensive if you want to go fast. NA you can do in steps as you get the money, IE: intake, header, exhaust, valvetrain, cams, pistons. All of that can be done in steps.

Boost you have to do it all at once. Turbo, manifold, sensors & program, intercooler, piping, BOV, wastegate, ect. All of it pretty much has to be done at once.

My boosted motor is very easy to maintain. I change the oil just like I used to, plugs/wires ect. Just regular maintenance. Eventually you'll probably have to have a turbo rebuilt, but it's not a regular thing to have done.

Boost can be fairly inexpensive (not cheap, but not WAY out there). If you want a built kit (Greddy, Edlebrock, ect) it'll cost a good bit of money, but if you do a homemade turbo kit w/ a DSM turbo and BOV you can save a lot of money.
Old 11-09-2005, 09:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay...
First, read this https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=990205

Then read this https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=878010

Then after-that, go here
https://honda-tech.com/zerosearch

Nota.... nice post, I commend you for helping him.
Old 11-09-2005, 09:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Boost or N/A??? (mwieczorek43)

I vote for all 3
Old 11-09-2005, 09:37 AM

Default Re: Boost or N/A??? (nota-eg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nota-eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Short block refers to the block, pistons, rods, crank part of the engine. A long block is the complete motor: block and head.

Both NA and boost are fairly expensive if you want to go fast. NA you can do in steps as you get the money, IE: intake, header, exhaust, valvetrain, cams, pistons. All of that can be done in steps.

Boost you have to do it all at once. Turbo, manifold, sensors & program, intercooler, piping, BOV, wastegate, ect. All of it pretty much has to be done at once.

My boosted motor is very easy to maintain. I change the oil just like I used to, plugs/wires ect. Just regular maintenance. Eventually you'll probably have to have a turbo rebuilt, but it's not a regular thing to have done.

Boost can be fairly inexpensive (not cheap, but not WAY out there). If you want a built kit (Greddy, Edlebrock, ect) it'll cost a good bit of money, but if you do a homemade turbo kit w/ a DSM turbo and BOV you can save a lot of money.</TD></TR></TABLE>

thanks a lot for the great answers
Old 11-09-2005, 02:10 PM

I do not know if this will help you out, but here is a list of pros and cons for both situations. Also, the difference between a short block and a long block is a short block only comes with the bottom end (block, pistons, rods, crank), and a long block comes with the bottom end and head.

N/A Pros
- easier to maintain
- less ware on internal parts
- more reliable
- less expensive

N/A Cons
- harder to make horsepower (unless you have a lot of money)

Turbo Pros
- Lots of HP
- Best bang for the buck

Turbo Cons
- more ware on internal parts
- harder to maintain