Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

blew a head gasket need info plz

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 blew a head gasket need info plz

so been having some issues with my 94 honda civic ex. recently my spark plug wire was going out. went to work and then tried to leave car wouldnt starte and ended up blowing my head gasket trying to start my car had a white cloud of smoke behind me it evaporated quick so it was the coolant i think that went through..
any ways wanted to know if i should replace the gasket or buy a new engine.. i been reading that most blown head gaskets come with alot of issues.. i stop driving my car as soon as it happen so it wouldnt further damage my engine.. so let me know what u think i would appreciat ur response..
thx for reading.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: blew a head gasket need info plz

I'm not sure how you went from a bad spark plug wire to a bad head gasket. Are you losing coolant? Is there any oil in your coolant?

If the oil and coolant are not mixing, but you have coolant in your combustion chamber then you can still drive it. Granted it is not a healthy situation for the motor.

First establish that the head gasket is indeed faulty. Leak down test

If it's blown then go to phase 2:

For D series engines you will get arguments both ways in terms of cost. If you are an able bodied do it yourself kind of person, you may save a few hundred doing it yourself provided you own all the necessary tools.

Off the top of my head:
head studs $100
head gasket $80
valve cover gasket set $40
timing belt - might as well $60
water pump $50
Machine shop - $100
Cam seal - $20
Intake manifold gasket - $20
exhaust manifold gasket - $20
Unforeseen consequences - $100

So around: $600ish being conservative

You can probably find head gasket rebuild kits online for cheaper, but I would not recommend a cheap eGay kit. Try to stay with OEM parts

A used D16Z6 block in good shape will run you 700 - 1000 depending on condition. And you run the risk of trusting someone else, which I hate doing...
Old 06-09-2011, 03:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thank you gave me the info i needed.. and srry bout the messy thread try better in the future.
Old 06-10-2011, 04:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

$700-1000 for a Z6? Someone ripped you off if you paid that much. I've seen plenty of good running Z6's selling for $300-500. I say fix yours.
Old 06-10-2011, 04:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the last head gasket i replace cost me around $150 doin it myself, if the engine never over heated theres no point in taking it to a machine shop(just check it with a straight edge and feeler gauges for any warpage, but most shops will check it out for around 40-$50. we can argue all day long about replacing the head studs, but i have never replaced mine after any headgasket change and have never had issues, but i will replace the timing belt. the intake manifold doesnt have to come off so no need for that gasket either. Look online you can find headgasket sets for really good deals. just make sure the head gasket its multilayered.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NACvicSi
$700-1000 for a Z6? Someone ripped you off if you paid that much. I've seen plenty of good running Z6's selling for $300-500. I say fix yours.
I never owned or bought a z6. Google is returning $700-1000 depending on the site. Sure you can find a z6 for 300-400. What condition is it in? Who knows. Typically as a life lesson you get what you pay for.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EJ8_Man
I never owned or bought a z6. Google is returning $700-1000 depending on the site. Sure you can find a z6 for 300-400. What condition is it in? Who knows. Typically as a life lesson you get what you pay for.
Another life lesson, retards will overpay for anything. The sad part is how many people have jumped on google and actually bought a $1k Z6 long block
Old 06-10-2011, 11:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I guess some retards consider a motor with a warranty worth the extra couple hundred bucks.
Old 06-22-2011, 05:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

alrighty like the info im getting in this post so for i decided to do it myself but i got my bros mechanic to help me out.. so i was waundering what tools im gonna be needed like any thing i might have miss i know i need a torque wrench and a decent socket kit but not sure... also i going to be buying most parts from o reily.. i found a decent fel pro head gasket set for about 120$ seems good.. also buying a gates timeing belt component kit along with a Richporter technology Distributor.. (any info on these items would be appreciated).. Im getting an ngk spark plug wires and ngk spark plugs (going with copper) anything else i should buy? trying to get everything possible ima need so hope to hear from u soon thx
Old 06-22-2011, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Felpro head gasket is the same quality as OEM
Timing belt, Gates is same quality as OEM
All other seals, Felpro or OEM

Water pump, only go OEM. For some reason, there seems to be issues with aftermarket ones always leaking much sooner than OEM.

I have an OEM timing belt, water pump and tensioner. I was going to rebuild a D16Z6 from a coupe, but plans changed and they're just extra parts now. PM if interested. I'd rather someone be able to use the parts than have them sit and never be used.
Old 07-22-2011, 04:50 PM
Trial User

I ****ed up this i know...

I recently bought the miricle "engine gasket kit" a aftermarket waterpump and timing belt, and a supposedly re-manned head that honestly looked pretty damn clean when i pulled it out of the box along with arp head studs. we got all of it on, and instantly the waterpump failed due to a large hole that developed shortly after the car firing up. so after tearing averything back down, we threw on the old water pump just to see if the engine would run, and now its got a mad oil leak coming from what looks like directly under the plastic housing from behind the cam gear. it also has a slow leak on the opposite front corner apporx. same height. We pulled the head off again to make absolute sure it was the right head gasket... all of the inner holes lined up, it fits?, but there is a suttle difference in the outter edge. after reinstalling it same thing!!!

so am i ****ed? is it a warped head? Shitty head gasket? basicly do i burn this bitch to the ground soon and walk away a little happier or hold out and hope she moves again.\

any help is appriciated, talk ****, be brutal, i just need to hear some ****ing answers