Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Bent Shift Fork? Other trans problems.

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2002, 05:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bent Shift Fork? Other trans problems.

On my EG, (I'm assuming EG is part of the VIN, and relates to body style, similar to how RX-7's are categorized by SA, FB, FC, and FD... Please bear with me, still kinda new to the modern Honda world... It's a 1993 LX 4 door)

Anyhow, on my EG, it's kinda hard to put into 1st. A little more so than other gears. There is very little play in teh shift linkage, so I don't believe that is the problem, however someone suggested that the shift forks may be bent.

How could this have happened? Does this involve a rebuild or replacement of the tranny to correct?

Also, I still have a problem with grinding when shifting to reverse. It's as though the clutch isn't fully disengaging. However, If I wait for a few minutes, it will go in no problem. Or if I shift into 1st, then into R, it goes no problem...

Finally, the tranny is leaking somewhere and it looks a little too much to be an alxe seal. Under the car, it appears as though someone has smeared epoxy or something where the two halves of the tranny case meet. How likely is it to leak at this point? I still need to invest in a can of degreaser and hose off the bottom to get an exact location of the leak. Everything down there is covered in oil.

Perhaps all the problems are related. The trans was about half a pint (Quarter of a quart) low. I added some 10w30.

Any oil type or brand reccomendations? There is some bearing whine while driving, I was reccomended to use 15w40 or 20w50, however some have also told me that thicker oil will wear the synchros prematurely... However this was someone who had the experience of filling the trans with 80w90 gear oil.

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-07-2002, 06:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Bent Shift Fork? Other trans problems. (Pele)

well about grinding into reverse, every honda i have driven does that. just throw it in frist and then into reverse and its good.

use honda tranny fuild, you can get it at the dealership, its actually about the same price.

not sure about the fork thing though.