Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

AEM Intake Question - please help

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 08:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AEM Intake Question - please help

You guys have probably heard/answered this question already probably a thousand times over but i figured I'd get a faster more specific response if i post. So i aplogize in advance and expect a billion people to tell me to search the archives. Anwayz, here goes:

My dilema is choosing between the AEM Short Ram (around 80-100 bucks) intake or the CAI system that seems to be in the 190-210 range as far as price. The problem is i've heard from alotta people that they've had problems with getting water in the engine w/the CAI since it relocated the filter in the fenderwell. Is this true? This car is my daily driver w/almost 56k on it...i drive it in all kinds of weather and i want it to last as long as possible, is hitting puddles really that big of an issue? Is the CAI actually worth it as far as horsepower improvement over the short ram?

I can't see spending another 100 dollars on the CAI if theres no difference in power production. Thanks in advance to everyone who ends up replying, its very much appreciated. I look forward to your answers.

ps- I know AEM sells an Air Bypass Valve thats supposed to remedy the water problem, but requires cutting the intake tube to install. I can't see spending 200 bucks on a part just to cut it up.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:04 PM

Default Re: AEM Intake Question - please help (99CivicEX4DoorNoob)

A intake is a intake.... it's nothing but piping.... end of story

http://search.ebay.com/search/...gory0=

^ problem solved
Old 01-13-2006, 10:07 PM
Imperious: Mod of Valor

Default Re: AEM Intake Question - please help (H-T)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by H-T &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">A intake is a intake.... it's nothing but piping.... end of story
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Correct. All that matters is the filter. You shouldn't need to spend more than $40 on an intake. Get an EBay intake arm, and a K&N filter and you're golden.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:14 PM

Default Re: AEM Intake Question - please help (JDM-EJ1)

I plan on buying am aem cai here in a couple weeks once I get some more money, and with this shitty ohio weather, I am definitly going to get a filter for it.

If you are really that concerned about cutting the tubing, I guess just get a short ram.

I hit tons of gigantic puddles all the time, and at night you can't even see them once you hit them.

Don't chance it and destroy your engine.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:15 PM

Default Re: AEM Intake Question - please help (H-T)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by H-T &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">A intake is a intake.... it's nothing but piping.... end of story

http://search.ebay.com/search/...gory0=

^ problem solved </TD></TR></TABLE>that's like saying oil is oil , synthetic or not its all the same. go whit an aem v2 and get a bypass valve
Old 01-13-2006, 10:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had a ebay CAI on gsr. ran it for 2 years, no problem. in my opinion as long as your car is not super low and you still have the splash guard for the CAI your good to go if you CAI.

just hit the puddles slowly to avoid hydroplane but who would go in deeep puddles to suck up water ne ways? common sense, unless your car is too low than either raise it up or get short ram. like everyone says, intake is intake, use your head, dont think the motor is so crazy it will suck up the water off the ground against gravity.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:35 PM

Default Re: (lv6l)

if you say an intake is an intake i guess dyno charts dont mater http://performance.clubrsx.com...N.jpg
Old 01-13-2006, 10:36 PM

its pretty damn hard to see large puddles after a good rain at night.

not exactly common sense, when the whole road is one gigantic puddle with dips in the road where you can't tell where the water is deeper.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok let me restate my opinions. where i live its easy to see the puddles. i never had a problem, i might just got lucky.

i say do what JDM-EJ1 says.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM-EJ1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Correct. All that matters is the filter. You shouldn't need to spend more than $40 on an intake. Get an EBay intake arm, and a K&N filter and you're golden.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 01-14-2006, 12:08 AM

Default Re: AEM Intake Question - please help (lv6l)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by to slow &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">that's like saying oil is oil , synthetic or not its all the same. go whit an aem v2 and get a bypass valve </TD></TR></TABLE>

oil is oil. synthetic oil is oil. and conventional is also oil. the same way an intake is an intake. seeing as how this is most likely his first mod on his car, its not gonna do anything but make it sound better. and your dyno is for a kseries motor. thats like cheating because any bolt on those motors add great hp compared to other motors.

buy piping of egay, i have two for sale, and a k&n filter and your kosher.
Old 01-14-2006, 08:56 PM

Default Re: AEM Intake Question - please help (97spooncivic)

Thanx to all of you for each putting in your 2cents. Its definitely helped me narrowing things down a bit. I know i'm gonna go with a short ram, but i wonder if theres any other companys out there that make one possibly w/a nice heat shield that comes with it, or just a universal heat shield that actually works. Either way i know i'm sticking with a short ram, so thanx guys for all the input.

I was also wondering who makes the best short shifter for Civics? I've heard good things about the skunk2 and B&M shifters, just wonderin if theres anything else out there worth checking out.
Old 01-14-2006, 09:10 PM

i just got a 1$ CAI off ebay, 29 dollars shipping, but it all balances out.

not to mention my 17 dollar coilovers. everyones gotta start somewhere, right?
Old 01-14-2006, 09:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

how well can you shift? i know many guys who grind their gears using short shifters. those thing litteraly jams your gear in. yes it shift quicker but becareful.

i stick to stock. works great for me
Old 01-14-2006, 09:24 PM

i personally have a b&m, i heard ebay short shifters arent that bad either.
Old 01-14-2006, 09:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: AEM Intake Question - please help (99CivicEX4DoorNoob)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 99CivicEX4DoorNoob &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanx to all of you for each putting in your 2cents. Its definitely helped me narrowing things down a bit. I know i'm gonna go with a short ram, but i wonder if theres any other companys out there that make one possibly w/a nice heat shield that comes with it, or just a universal heat shield that actually works. Either way i know i'm sticking with a short ram, so thanx guys for all the input.

I was also wondering who makes the best short shifter for Civics? I've heard good things about the skunk2 and B&M shifters, just wonderin if theres anything else out there worth checking out. </TD></TR></TABLE>

if i were you, i would research some more before putting money into my car...probably like 6 months ago i was exactly where you are...asking the exact same questions...theres better things to be spending your money on, and like stated before...an intake is an intake...i bought a 40 dollar ebay cai + a 40 dollar K&N filter, and then changed it to a short ram for the winter. (and incase you were wondering...you cant tell any difference in power. just sound.)
Old 01-14-2006, 11:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (to slow)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by to slow &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> if you say an intake is an intake i guess dyno charts dont mater http://performance.clubrsx.com...N.jpg</TD></TR></TABLE>

you're right the dyno charts do matter, but look at the intake temps, they keep going down and you get higher HP ratings(duh, colder temps are better), it's really just a marketing scheme. the FILTER is the only thing that really matters, one that "filters the air well" , and one that "flows the air well also". With your car doing 60 mph down the road, the air doesnt really have time to heat up THAT much under the hood.....
Old 01-14-2006, 11:41 PM
Imperious: Mod of Valor

Default Re: AEM Intake Question - please help (to slow)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by to slow &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">that's like saying oil is oil , synthetic or not its all the same. go whit an aem v2 and get a bypass valve </TD></TR></TABLE>

Please explain to me how an AEM intake arm is better than a generic one? They're both aluminum tubes, no? Obviously there are better filters, that's why you get the best.. K&N.