Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Adjusted valves, now won't run!! Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 10:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adjusted valves, now won't run!! Help!!

Hi all, firstly hello. I have a Honda Civic CRX ESI (UK car, SOHC 16v 1.6cc D16Z6 with 137k miles) which I've not had for long. I've serviced it ans cleaned out the throttle body which solved the irratic idel without having to go anywhere near the IACV. So today I thought I'd adjust the valves/tappets, having read up for some time. I took my time and did everything by the book, setting the inlet to 0.007" and the exhaust to 0.009", however to achieve this I had to loosen off the valves to increase the gap to those distances. I put the whole thing back together and, shock horror, it sounds awfull, all clanging and knocking tappets. So I start again, this time setting clearances to inlet 0.005" and exhaust to 0.007" to compensate for any wear. However again all clanging and knocking from the head, tappets again. So then I start again, and this time simply adjust the screw right down so that it touches, but now it won't run at all.

What sould I do? Has my car been badly adjusted in the past and has this damaged something? I want my car back, any help appreciated.

PS: did try the search function but to no avail.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:50 AM

if it was running beforehand i'd have a guess at saying that maybe you've gotten the 1st and the 4th cylinder mixed up? (done it back to front)

i.e. setting the cylinder valve clearances when it's not on the compression stroke?

just an idea as i've come close to doing it myself :?
Old 01-21-2008, 11:04 AM

Default Re: Adjusted valves, now won't run!! Help!! (tubby1)

I took it that number 1 cylinder was next to the cambelt. I then did the following:

Rotate engine counter clockwise until UP mark faces upwards and the two lines are paralell to the cylinder head. This puts cylinder 1 at TDC (I thought). I then set the valves.

Rotate the engine until UP mark faces exhaust. This brings cylinder 3 to TDC, adjust valves.

Rotate engine until UP mark faces down towards the floor. This brings cylider 4 to TDC, adjust valves.

Rotate engine until UP mark faces down towards the inlet manifold. This brings cylider 2 to TDC, adjust valves.

Is this right, the only thing I didn't check for was wether I'd achieved TDC on the compression stroke, so could this be the problem?

Appreciate the reply. Nick.

Old 01-22-2008, 12:46 AM

Default Re: Adjusted valves, now won't run!! Help!! (tubby1)

yeah follow tubby and also make sure your feeler gauges arent giving too much of a drag, just that vibration drag feel. super easy just take your time. should i post a video on youtube?