Default Koni yellow VS tein Basic

what set up would the best all around on a del sol
koni yellows or tein basic
i know it depends on driving
but i just wanna know what people perfer so let me kno
Old 01-21-2008, 12:44 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Koni yellow VS tein Basic (streetcartuner)

Most people prefer the Koni GC setup. Atleast...people who want suspension to have a good handling car instead of "JDM" branded parts and stickers to show off said parts.

I can tell you from experience that the lower level tein stuff sucks. I used to have flexes back when flexes first came out and started becoming popular (for my S13). I wanted to try it out...cuz that's how I roll. They were good over all, but definately not worth the $1600 they cost (after tax, retail 5 years ago).

There is no preset coilover setup that is going to give you the same quality and ride and handling as the koni/gc setup for the price. If you want a REALLY NICE full coilover that's customizable, you have to spend some $$$$$$$. For example: the KWs that I just bought retail for $2300. Konis and GCs can be had for under $1k.

The advantage to the koni/gc setup is that you get a chance to pick your spring rates before they come to your door. The disadvantage is that spring rates can only be picked once you KNOW what to look for and you get your car on a track or drive it on the street and decide what you want. Again, you first have to have the knowledge to figure it all out. You can opt to get the OTS spring rates (off the shelf). The engineers at GC allready figure out an optimal setup for the car in that case.

The advantage to buying Tein coilovers is that it comes with set spring rates. This would only be an advantage if ignorance is bliss. If you dont know what you're looking at, then you never really notice. But the spring rates really sucked *** for civics/integras the last time I checked for the Tein basic. That's the disadvantage.

The Koni dampers (shocks) are also of a higher quality than the lower level tein stuff. The Teins get real bouncy after a few months. The valving is kinda weak. This is an almost universal observation with lower level Teins. I observed it first hand as well.

After typing all this....are you just wanting to lower the car or are you actually looking for some on track performance out of it? Is ride quality a concern or is this a race car?
Old 01-21-2008, 03:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Koni yellow VS tein Basic (B serious)

tein basics
koni yellow/gc setup
Old 01-21-2008, 04:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Koni yellow VS tein Basic (aznlaoboi315)

when buying any coilover setup from tein you wont get anything really nice or worth the money till you but AT LEAST the SS's. If i was picking between the 2 Koni yellows and GC will outperform basics anyday.
Old 01-21-2008, 06:53 PM

Default Re: Koni yellow VS tein Basic (93egSLEEPER)

thanx guy bye the way the car is lowered and i want to go all out on the suspension but still have money for jdm parts
and yes it will probally be raced so yes a good race suspension would be nice
Old 01-21-2008, 07:14 PM

If the car is going to be tracked often, then I wouldn't suggest Tein basics. Being a Basic owner myself, () I would reccomend them to anyone looking for an awsome daily driver suspension with minimal track use. If you are looking for an all out, race tuned suspension however, I would go with the Koni/Ground Control setup. It has been proven to kick *** on the track numerous times, and I don't think you would be disappointed.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:49 AM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Default Re: (.PLUMMM)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by .PLUMMM &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If the car is going to be tracked often, then I wouldn't suggest Tein basics. Being a Basic owner myself, () I would reccomend them to anyone looking for an awsome daily driver suspension with minimal track use. If you are looking for an all out, race tuned suspension however, I would go with the Koni/Ground Control setup. It has been proven to kick *** on the track numerous times, and I don't think you would be disappointed.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The Koni GC setup is not just for track use. I wouldn't exactly say that it's track tuned, either. It's very comfortable on the street. It feels almost stock like (at a non-ridiculously low ride height and the softer damper setting). I'm talking about the OTS spring rates. If you want a race suspension, you have to figure out which tracks you will most likely be on. Then buy the springs for that track. For example, if picking from the tracks around here, Road America is glass smooth and VERY big and fast and spring rates should be pretty high. Gingerman is more intimate, and smaller....but bumpy. So spring rates should be relatively low.

Spring rate choice also depends on the rest of your setup, and your driving style/ability, and obviously, the chassis and suspension design that the springs are going onto.

For the hatchboxes that I owned, I used 350F and 450R rates. I used them on my EG and my EK. I freaking loved that setup. It was very comfortable for daily driving, but it kicked *** for handling. It seems that it's a popular setup. I just kinda stumbled upon it, but I guess it works for a lot of other people as well. Another popular combo is 400F and 500R.

What chassis is this going onto?
The following users liked this post: