Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

95 ej shifter play side to side only (yes, researched)

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 01:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 ej shifter play side to side only (yes, researched)

First Question : Just finished changing every bushing on my linkage (d16z6 and S20 btw..all stock with 275k) and i STILL have lateral movement at the shifter in any gear, etc. Am I missing something INSIDE the dust boot on the shifting linkage at the trans? Did I fail to replace an important bushing somewhere? Is the plagued "B@tch pin" to blame and I overlooked it? I see only the input shaft getting twisted and nothing looks to be out of place/loose etc. This seems so regular with 15+ yr old used cars but since I bought new ES bushings, I figured it would be easily eliminated..fail

2nd question: Drivers door (ex coupe) has about 1/2-3/4 inch play up and down, and I DONT see a brass sleeve or anyting in the hinge that could've worn out. Searched Hondapartsonline, and every resource online I can think of for a diagram and NOTHING has any sort of parts to replace in the door hinge assy. Any1 in the same boat? Im at the verge of loosening the hinges and adjusting so the door striker doesnt get ground to a pulp. Thanks H-T..
Old 04-25-2011, 03:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 95 ej shifter play side to side only (yes, researched)

1. Did you take a look at the bottom of your shifter where it connects to the linkage? The bushings there are probably worn. I'm certain that is where your play is coming from. It'd be easier just to buy a new shifter/short shifter than to replace those.

2. I know that can be a problem but I'm not sure what you'd need to replace or adjust, hopefully someone else could chime in.
Old 04-25-2011, 03:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ya... the play cant be from anything under the shifter....the bushings are all new and the it feels great going north and south through the gears, only side to side..its like im stuck in neutral lol

Thanks for the quick response tho.
Old 04-25-2011, 04:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it feels good shifting who cares?
Old 04-25-2011, 04:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

every honda has that play in it. but if you wan to look into better shifter feel without the slack from side to side rcautoworks makes a shifter linkage that eliminates the slop, ive seen it on a car and the diffrence is insane. idk who else makes the linkage.
Old 04-25-2011, 04:47 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

If you reused the bitch pin replace it. A very small amount of side to side play is normal.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by abs0Lut
If it feels good shifting who cares?
Why? Bc it simply doesn't feel right.. no other Honda I've ever driven has had play like this. Now I wish i could say ive driven lots but im limited to my 95 ej, 98 gsr 4dr (woot woot...haven't seen one in the flesh since), 04 Ap1 and a few slightly modified egs...and im certein they didnt feel straight sloppy. Drivability isnt affected (occasionally grinds 4th on a downshift/rev match but that's gear oil related) but I definately can tell something's not "just from it's age.".

94eg8, the pin came out once and was not too tightly compressed when replaced but this would most likely be my issue?

Thanks for the suggest Jdmcivic-looking into it now lol
Old 04-25-2011, 07:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Tighten all the hinge bolts (4) on the inside of the door, and the 2 bolts that hold the hydraulic arm to the inside of the door.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:38 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Sleeper95ej
94eg8, the pin came out once and was not too tightly compressed when replaced but this would most likely be my issue?
Reusing the pin even once will often cause a somewhat sloppy feel, for $1.98 at your local Honda dealer it's worth trying. What else did you replace for bushings? Did you replace the metal sleeve, 4 O-rings and 2 bushings where the shifter pivots on the linkage? This is generally what causes the side to side play, that and plastic cage that goes around the ball the shifter rotates on.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The door hinge itself is what wears out there are no bushings for it. Just. Replace the hinge.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Did you just replace these? You sure everything is all tightened up right?

Originally Posted by 94EG8
Reusing the pin even once will often cause a somewhat sloppy feel, for $1.98 at your local Honda dealer it's worth trying. What else did you replace for bushings? Did you replace the metal sleeve, 4 O-rings and 2 bushings where the shifter pivots on the linkage? This is generally what causes the side to side play, that and plastic cage that goes around the ball the shifter rotates on.
This is exactly what I meant.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Wdpfreak145
Tighten all the hinge bolts (4) on the inside of the door, and the 2 bolts that hold the hydraulic arm to the inside of the door.
Ya know, I never thought of looking INSIDE the door since whenever I've lifted the door up, I've only seen movement from inside the hinge itself in between the jam (strawbery?) and the door *Sorry no pix yet, Ill try to snap some in a few minutes on lunch* Its only the upper assembly that seems loose...and its almost like there should be a brass sleeve that wraps around the door pin to keep this play to a minimum, but the pin in obviously one solid piece and there cant be enough room for a tiny, thin sleeve to wrap around the pin.

Ill definately take a peek after work at the guts of the door. Thanks Wpdfreak
Old 04-26-2011, 11:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RagnarX

Well the round bushing was for a B series I was informed (craigslist brat I bought this kit from...and on Energy Sus's website it says this is for the del sol vtec model) but otherwise I've replaced the following:

-eBay Short shifter (I know what you're thinking, and the entire shifter lever assembly IS tight.)
-All 4 o-rings, the metal sleeve, 2 thrust washers on the bottom of the shifter, the rectangular bushing that mounts the shifter assembly to the floorpan and the plastic cage that slides over the shifter lever and sits on the pivot point as well as the dust boot for this. The only thing I can see being a potential issue is the famed b*tch pin...Im going to snap some pix tonight and report back...this is simply just irritating. At least its more motivation to ****** up a K series for CHEAP. Thanks to everyone thats chimed in...me and my coupe appreciate it lol
Old 04-26-2011, 11:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RagnarX

These bushings have nothing to do w/ side to side play
Old 04-26-2011, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jdmcivicracer89
every honda has that play in it. but if you wan to look into better shifter feel without the slack from side to side rcautoworks makes a shifter linkage that eliminates the slop, ive seen it on a car and the diffrence is insane. idk who else makes the linkage.
Gotta love google..found this site and Im going to try and order this sometime soon..thanks for the suggesh..
http://www.d-series.org/forums/produ...t-linkage.html
Old 04-26-2011, 01:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Sleeper95ej
Gotta love google..found this site and Im going to try and order this sometime soon..thanks for the suggesh..
http://www.d-series.org/forums/produ...t-linkage.html
no problem im there almost everyday they get alot of these comin through