Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

92-95 civic rear disk issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2006, 05:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92-95 civic rear disk issues

ive had an on going issue regarding my driver side caliper locking up when i pull the ebrake up hard. im brock right now and after a search most said to rebuild/replace caliper and or ebrake cables. the cables are not even a year old and were bought new from honda. i finally took some time and inspected the caliper. here are the results:

a- inspected the glides on the caliper and found one to be almost dry (no grease) and the other looked semi-okay. i cleaned the glides and applied a good bit of anti-seize to the glides and cleaned/anti-seized where the go into the caliper.

i started with that and tested it out a few more times. it seemed to work a little better however if the ebrake was pulled up 'comfortably' it would release, but if pulled up all the way it would lock up.

it seemed that their was an issue not with the cables but with the spring. the reason is that when it locks up and the lever is in the down position and the brake is still holding you can pull the lever where the cable attached to the caliper and it 'clicks' free...i pulled the spring off and its basically coiled around a bolt. i didn't have a service manual with me so i was hesistant to take the bolt out and lose brake fluid but i did slightly loosen the bolt, but it still has plenty of torque.

i cleaned the spring and sprayed it with 'super lube', and cleaned the area with the same lubricant.

so far my results have been good, not really sure what i did that had more of an impact, but pulling the handle up as far as possible and releasing the caliper no longer locked up. im going to continue to work the lever, and in hopes of being able to heat my radials up next friday at the track and pulling better times and 60'.

questions comments welcome