00 Civic/K24a2 swap - electrical issue with lights

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 11:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 00 Civic/K24a2 swap - electrical issue with lights

car: 2000 civic hatchback cx
engine: k24a2

other important info: I deleted the heat completely, i installed jdm sidemarkers, i tucked the headlight harness.

looking for some help hondatech!!

so, i tucked my headlight harness, i deleted the washer fluid wiring. i put a battery in the car last week to make sure everything is working properly, but it is not. i fixed one problem, i had the signal and park light mixed up on the passenger side front. when i switched them my signal lights and 4 ways work like they should. this is my problem now.

KEY OFF, parking lights on - the background light for the fuel and temp gauges do not light up.

KEY OFF, headlights on - the background lights on left side of speedo do not light up and also still no lights for the fuel and temp gauges.

KEY OFF, headlights and parking lights off - 4 ways act normal.

KEY ON, headlights and park lights off - i get lights for the fuel and temp gauges, nothing else. i also get light on my heater controls.

KEY ON, headlights on - no dash lights at all

KEY ON, headlights on and 4 ways on - i hear a buzzing noise

KEY ACC, headlights on and 4 ways on - left side of speedo dash lights flash with signals

my concern is that is somewhere in the dash harness, where i deleted the heater. i also deleted all the wiring associated with the heater harness except for the 4 way flasher plug.

any input would be hugely appreciated!!!
Old 01-02-2015, 12:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: 00 Civic/K24a2 swap - electrical issue with lights

Originally Posted by scottied15
KEY OFF, parking lights on - the background light for the fuel and temp gauges do not light up.

KEY OFF, headlights on - the background lights on left side of speedo do not light up and also still no lights for the fuel and temp gauges.

KEY OFF, headlights and parking lights off - 4 ways act normal.

KEY ON, headlights and park lights off - i get lights for the fuel and temp gauges, nothing else. i also get light on my heater controls.

KEY ON, headlights on - no dash lights at all

KEY ON, headlights on and 4 ways on - i hear a buzzing noise

KEY ACC, headlights on and 4 ways on - left side of speedo dash lights flash with signals

my concern is that is somewhere in the dash harness, where i deleted the heater. i also deleted all the wiring associated with the heater harness except for the 4 way flasher plug.

any input would be hugely appreciated!!!
Check all the ground wires under the dash, in the engine bay, and in the rear.

The cluster lights also seem to be miswired.
Old 01-02-2015, 03:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks man!! i knew it was something stupid!! I tucked the wires from the trunk area and to do so i had to extend the wires to the driver side taillight. the one i forgot to ground was the passenger side taillight for some reason i don't remember why i cut the ground for that side.

im now not getting any background dash lights for my fuel and temp gauges at all key on, key off, key acc. headlights on and parking lights on.

everything else works perfect now! signals and 4 ways are now "jdm" alternating and dash lights are solid except the background lights for fuel and temp gauges.

the car also has an alarm, power windows, power locks, power mirrors. all working fine

i have been messing around with wiring for the past 2 years and luckily have had 0 problems till now. thanks ronj!!

Old 01-02-2015, 04:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Stock cluster? Check your cluster backlight wiring job. It gets power via the dash lights dimmer switch.
Old 01-03-2015, 06:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

stock cluster yes but i replaced the bulbs with led bulbs. the led's i got have a negative and positive side, should have known this but i found a few in backwards and also the big main light was in backwards not allowing power to the top 2 lights..... everything works!! ronj, thank you for your time and knowledge!!

i also noticed that turning my dimmer switch to the right, the lights get dimmer, and to the left they get brighter. should it be the opposite?

Last edited by scottied15; 01-03-2015 at 06:30 AM.
Old 01-03-2015, 08:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by scottied15

should it be the opposite?
Yep