Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

00 Civic/ first gen b16a swap - distributor problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2016, 02:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 00 Civic/ first gen b16a swap - distributor problems

hey all thanks for the help in advance. the distributor failed in my 2000 civic last week i have a first gen b16a. after a little research i was lead to believe that the dizzy internals from a 2000 crv were the same and the housings were different. i swapped the housings and the car started although it had no power at all. i wanted to confirm that i did not cause damage while swapping internals so i bought another crv distributor and cut two ears off it so i could bolt it on(i know super bad and not a permanent solution. all was well i gained most of my power back but wasent hard on it because i hadent set timing yet. today i grabbed the timing light and had to hone out the one existing ear to get timing at 16 bdc and now the vehicle has no power again? is the crv dizzy just no compatible? the old distributor has one grey rectangular plug with 8 pins same as the crv. is there a direct bolt on option?/ i believe the old dizzy was from a second gen b16a can anyone confirm if that dizzy has an 8 pin rectangular plug? if so ill call around to the local jdm engine distributors thanks again i really appreciate you taking the time to read this
Old 02-29-2016, 04:50 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default re: 00 Civic/ first gen b16a swap - distributor problems

The distributor is from a civic, the car you thought would work is a crv, and you're currently posting in an accord forum.
Old 03-01-2016, 05:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 00 Civic/ first gen b16a swap - distributor problems

oops my bad ill relocate it thanks
Old 03-01-2016, 05:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Your thread is now in the Civic forum.
Old 03-01-2016, 05:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default b16a distributor problems

hey all thanks for the help in advance. the distributor failed in my 2000 civic last week i have a first gen b16a. after a little research i was lead to believe that the dizzy internals from a 2000 crv were the same and the housings were different. i swapped the housings and the car started although it had no power at all. i wanted to confirm that i did not cause damage to the distributor internals while swapping them so i bought another crv distributor and cut two ears off it so i could bolt it on(i know super bad and not a permanent solution). all was well i gained most of my power back but wasent hard on it because i hadent set timing yet. today i grabbed the timing light and had to hone out the one existing ear to get timing at 16 bdc and now the vehicle has no power again? is the crv dizzy just no compatible? the old distributor has one grey rectangular plug with 8 pins same as the crv. is there a direct bolt on option?/ i believe the old dizzy was from a second gen b16a can anyone confirm if that dizzy has an 8 pin rectangular plug? if so ill call around to the local jdm engine distributors thanks again i really appreciate you taking the time to read this thanks
Old 03-01-2016, 06:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Convert the car to obd1 (if you haven't already)then get a obd1 b16a dizzy
Old 03-01-2016, 06:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: b16a distributor problems

What internals did you swap ignition module and icm cap rotor?

Most likly distributor fails goes in this order
Cap rotor/icm/ignition coil/ housing it self but i think if the housing itself was bad you would get p1337 or p1336 ckp sensor (crank position sensor off not sure what the codes are for obd1) have you used a multi meter to test any of the internals ?

Maybe loss of power due to really bad ignition timing?
Old 03-01-2016, 06:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I swapped absolutely everything inside the only parts retained from the old distributor were the key that goes into the cam and the rear housing. I have not tested any of the internals but they are all new and this is my second distributor with the same issue I'm wondering if the internals I used are just not compatible I know the crv has a spark plug that's a heat range cooler maybe the signal to them is different?. also it woud seem you are right with you timing comment but it doesn't make sense what's happening as previously stated before I set the ignition timing it had lots of power to 5,000 rpm I dident take it beyond that because I was worried there was to much advance. after setting the timing to 16 btdc I have a massive power loss. thanks a lot for your input much appreciated and o theres no codes and its a first gen b16a there is no crank sensor
Old 03-01-2016, 06:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

All hondas have ckp sensor in dizzy just obd2a/b have two one in dizzy one on oil pump

Http://www.homemadeturbo.com/hybrid-...de-help-94946/

Ckp is telling thr ecu what position your crank is based off cam and if your housing was bad i think you would get this code

But in my opinion i would use your b16 housing and test everything using a multimeter and replace what is bad with the correct part and if everything checks out work backwards

When replacing your icm what was your old one hitachi?

Edit- are you getting any CEL ?
Old 03-01-2016, 09:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

true ckp I thought only referred to a crank position sensor not a cam position sensor. I have no cel. I believe both units are TEC. what do you meen by a bad housing? how does aluminum go bad? I don't think it could warp enough to matter. I will test the internals when I'm home tonight./ do you know what distributor has an 8 pin rectangular plug is it 2nd gen b16a? I relly believe that something internally in a crv dizzy mut be different then the one I removed as it ran mint before it failed now with ether housing and crv internals it has no power.
Old 03-01-2016, 09:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the more I ponder the situation the more it makes sence that the ckp sensor in the old distributor failed. it would also makes sense that the ckp sensor in the new internals is different with the ignition timing out a lot matching the fuel timing that's way off I would have made some power as fuel and spark may have been correctly timed with eachother but no timed correctly with the engine no that I have the timing within spec it makes sence if the ckp sensor is incorrect my injector pulce is way off
Old 03-01-2016, 01:38 PM
Technical Hero

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Why not just get a while 99-00 Si distributor? And converting to OBD1 may cause more issues of you live in a place that tests emissions that hook to your ECU.