Notices
Honda Civic (2006 - 2015) 2006 - 2015 Civic Forums

Automatic transmission filter

Old 05-11-2018, 01:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Automatic transmission filter

I have a 2008 Civic LX, which has an in-line automatic transmission filter. The manufacturer claims it is a "life-time" filter, but debate rages over that claim. One YouTube video showed a dissection of this filter at about 100K miles - it appeared sedimented up and had fragments imbedded in the filter material. My vehicle has 180K miles on it and has the original filter - I suspect it may be shot. It is difficult to access, as it is tucked tightly in under the air box. The rear clamps look nearly inaccessible - some claim they have to be accessed from beneath the vehicle. Anyone have any opinions on the theory of the "lifetime" filter? As far as I know, no filter is so durable as to never have to be replaced.
Old 05-11-2018, 02:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Re: Automatic transmission filter

What makes you think the filter is shot? 185k miles here, no issues.
Old 05-12-2018, 03:02 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

once you pull the air cleaner assembly it becomes possible to remove it, not too hard, but you will want to buy the two hoses that attach to it...once you start moving the filter those lines will kink up when you try to put the old ones back on, unless you replace the hoses with new one
Old 05-13-2018, 06:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by holmesnmanny
once you pull the air cleaner assembly it becomes possible to remove it, not too hard, but you will want to buy the two hoses that attach to it...once you start moving the filter those lines will kink up when you try to put the old ones back on, unless you replace the hoses with new one
Thanks.
Old 05-13-2018, 06:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by av911
What makes you think the filter is shot? 185k miles here, no issues.
The mileage on the filter. What would be an "issue"? Filters don't last forever.
Old 05-13-2018, 09:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Zebra
The mileage on the filter. What would be an "issue"? Filters don't last forever.
You know better than Honda?
Old 05-14-2018, 07:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by av911
You know better than Honda?
I guess it boils down to a matter of opinion. Honda has their rationale for saying it is "life-time", which may be based on their criteria for the transmission life. Some say it was added because Honda had trouble with the Civic transmissions and threw the filter in-line as a precautionary adjustment. No one seems to know what the 'trouble-signs' (or issues) might be associated with a plugged filter, or at least none that I could find. I figure changing it out at 180K miles is a prudent service procedure, as it won't have to be done again for a long period of time.
Old 06-02-2018, 03:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Zebra
I guess it boils down to a matter of opinion. Honda has their rationale for saying it is "life-time", which may be based on their criteria for the transmission life. Some say it was added because Honda had trouble with the Civic transmissions and threw the filter in-line as a precautionary adjustment. No one seems to know what the 'trouble-signs' (or issues) might be associated with a plugged filter, or at least none that I could find. I figure changing it out at 180K miles is a prudent service procedure, as it won't have to be done again for a long period of time.
I changed the in-line automatic transmission filter and it was difficult. My main problem was access and not having the right tools. The airbox comes out, and it is difficult to get back in. The filter bracket had rusted screws, and I had to remove the entire filter mounting in order to get the metal strap back on the filter. The rubber hose clamps are those 3-tab compression type, which requires all 3 tabs be simultaneously compressed in order to open the clamp up. Regular pliers are too narrow to contact all the 3 tabs on the clamp going straight in, and there is minimal access to position pliers in a sideways angle. I reused the same hoses; but due to the degree of difficulty, I would suggest anyone doing it to replace the hoses. The filter had 182K miles on it and air still blew thru - I have no idea what the interior condition is. I won't be changing this filter again - it is just too hard to get at. And I don't know how anyone could change it from beneath the car - I couldn't even see it from that vantage point. The transmission seems to shift smoother since I replaced the filter - perhaps it changed the pressure in the transmission when the filter flowed more freely?

Last edited by Zebra; 06-23-2018 at 04:18 PM.
Old 06-02-2018, 04:18 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

those two hoses have a tendency to kink when you try to reinstall them and they are old, I would actually suggest swapping out the hoses
Old 06-04-2018, 10:19 AM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

It's also advisable to have a decent selection of tools at your disposal when you wish to work on your vehicle.

Tools will either make or break the job.
Old 06-08-2018, 11:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TomCat39
It's also advisable to have a decent selection of tools at your disposal when you wish to work on your vehicle.

Tools will either make or break the job.
I have a pretty good selection of tools, but some jobs require a specialty tool that I didn't anticipate, even after researching the job. That axiom is completely correct though.