Notices

You guys recommend an igniton box for heavy boosted setup?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2003, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default You guys recommend an igniton box for heavy boosted setup?

This may seem like a noob question and i tried to search. My question is fairly simple. Im wondering, because i will be running a pretty powerful setup with atleast 15 psi on the street and 18-20psi at the track would i need an ignition box or would it be a good idea to invest in one for precasutionary purposes?

thanks,
GEN2TEG
Old 03-29-2003, 06:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: You guys recommend an igniton box for heavy boosted setup? (GEN2TEG)

The trend seems to be people saying "No!" a lot...the stock Honda ignition is fine.

I don't agree. Big boost, lots of fuel, lots of air...lots of spark. They all compliment one another, so in my opinion, don't leave one behind. It can only help. Been there, done that. I have seen first hand, where my ignition ABSOLUTELY 110% single-handedly helped. So yeah, my answer is yes. If you have the $ to spare, it is a good investment.
Old 03-29-2003, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: You guys recommend an igniton box for heavy boosted setup? (GEN2TEG)

If you are running high boost, then the ignition upgrade is def. needed. I am running the msd 6a, plug wires, cap and ss blaster external coil. It was around 300.00 shipped for all of those items from summit. Its a simple, proven set-up. I really dont think that you need much more for an ignition upgrade.
Old 03-29-2003, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: You guys recommend an igniton box for heavy boosted setup? (MatT3T4)

The trend seems to be people saying "No!" a lot...the stock Honda ignition is fine.
I have heard this often as well but im not sure. I currently have the opportunity to pick up the Crane igniton system with the coil and all necessary equipment that comes with it for $150.00 cdn. Im thinking i should jump all over it!

Just wanted to settle my worries, i fiigure spending all that cash and seeing a lot of the bigger boosted guys are running it makes you wonder how people say don't cause stock Honda ignition is fine.

Anyone else have more insight?

thanks again guys,
GEN2TEG

[Modified by GEN2TEG, 3:45 AM 3/30/2003]
Old 03-29-2003, 06:54 PM

I would have to agree with those guys, they both have owned a pretty powerful honda. I myself am runing a msd 6-al that i picked up a long time ago because i knew i would be needing it one day and i got a killer deal new.
I run magnecor wires, ngk plugs, and the 6-al and it works great for me, although i've never run boosted without the ignition upgrade. I can say that the external coil (don't have anymore) probably wasn't needed for my application.
the stock ignition is great but your asking a lot more out of it once you go with f/i. Esp if your runing a decent amount of boost. The more boost the harder it is for the spark to jump the gap. Thats also why it's a good idea to run a shorter gap on your plugs.
I generally listen to those two they seem to know their stuff
Old 03-29-2003, 07:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: You guys recommend an igniton box for heavy boosted setup? (b16ahybrid)

I've heard of so many people running stock ignition with over 400+whp. I know vaportrail has tuned many cars at high boost with stock ignitions with no problems. I figured i was gonna be good with stock ignition too at high boost, but my tuner said my ignition was falling off at only 254whp.

So i just upgraded to msd 6a, blaster ss coil, and cap.

IMO, i probably didnt even need it. I think i got royally screwed on my tuning. I think the tuner sucked ***. Should've went down to vaportrail damnit
Old 03-29-2003, 08:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: You guys recommend an igniton box for heavy boosted setup? (BoostedSi)

I have an MSD digital 6, hvc coil, cap and MSD wires. Works really good.
Old 03-29-2003, 08:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You "dont" need an ignition upgrade if you arent blowing the flame out at high boost. I have run alot of my engines in the past with high boost and stock ignition, and worked great. You wont really notice any difference from stock to aftermarket ignition, other than quicker starts.