Notices

Will a Full-Race fit in a CRX?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2003, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will a Full-Race fit in a CRX?

I'm currently looking for a good b- series turbo manifold that will fit in my CRX (91 Si).

I wouldn't mind getting a smaller radiator to accommodate the size of the manifold; I just want to know if it can be done without hacking up my front end.

I will be putting this one either a GSR or TYPE R motor, when I decide on what motor I will be using, I will be building it up i.e., sleeves, rods, pistons and what not.

I'm kind of leaning towards the type r for the r/s ratio.

Thanks!
Old 01-16-2003, 11:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Will a Full-Race fit in a CRX? (TrueNorthStar)

I'm currently looking for a good b- series turbo manifold that will fit in my CRX (91 Si).
DRAG, REV-HARD or any number of log style manifolds willfit in there.

I wouldn't mind getting a smaller radiator to accommodate the size of the manifold; I just want to know if it can be done without hacking up my front end.
You're talking about putting b-series engine in a CRX and then putting a turbo on it...and you're worrying about hacking things? Trust me you're gonna have to hack and creatively engineer somethings for it to work out well. I've still got the full length radiator in my car with a DRAG manifold. If you can find a dual-core Del Sol VTEC radiator,i'd swap that in. Other wise i'd leave the stock Si full lenght rad. in there.

I will be putting this one either a GSR or TYPE R motor, when I decide on what motor I will be using, I will be building it up i.e., sleeves, rods, pistons and what not.

I'm kind of leaning towards the type r for the r/s ratio. .
Either one of those engine's is gonna run you a good $$, AND you're talking about building it up? You must have hit a goldmine or something. At first I'd keep it simple. Have you researched what it will take to put either of those engine's in a CRX chassis? Being that both of those engines use OBD-1 or OBD-2 computers you're porlly gonna want to go with a standalone right off the bat to get the fueling and ignition curves right for either engine. Just food for thought. I hope you're not planning on running a FMU/Fuel pump setup. A well tuned GS-R/ITR engine in a CRX is a low 14/high 13 sec car with good driving.

The R engine and the GS-R engine both have the same R/S ratio, and that's not all the important when you're selecting what engine you should boost. You should be more worried about compression ratio. Most "R" engine owners don't boost over 5~6psi on the stock internals, mostly due to the higher compression. GS-R owners can get away with 8~10psi without to much trouble.

Do you have a turbo and all the appropriate accesories? Have you considered all the I/C piping and I/C placement?
Old 01-16-2003, 12:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It will fit fine, the main thing you want to worry about in a rex is the radiator, I went with a custom c and r. As far as rod ratio, type r and gsr are indentical. how far do you plan on going?Now that you have decided on your turbo kit, you need to wory about fuel setup, motor mount kit, plenty of other details. email me if you have questions on setup. I used a very simple one and went far. Jason

[Modified by littlebluecrx, 9:23 PM 1/16/2003]
Old 01-16-2003, 01:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Will a Full-Race fit in a CRX?

I also managed to use a full length stock radiator in my setup, but i only used because i had just bought it. I'm using a 60 trim t3 from a ford turbocoupe, and the fit is extremely tight. I dont think a t3/t4 would have much chance of fitting.
People have been using dual core Neon radiators, which a friend of mine did. A little easier to fit in a CRX than a civic half radiator.
Old 01-16-2003, 01:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Will a Full-Race fit in a CRX? (RioNinja)

I'm using a 60 trim t3 from a ford turbocoupe, and the fit is extremely tight. I dont think a t3/t4 would have much chance of fitting.
I've got a t3/t04e in mine, fittment is tight but not bad. I had to modify the lower radiator rail so that I could slant the radiator like this "/". Gave me enough clearance to work with everything. I'd like to have a 60-1 sometime in the future so I may be dropping in a 1/2 width radiator of some sorts.

People have been using dual core Neon radiators, which a friend of mine did. A little easier to fit in a CRX than a civic half radiator.
Dhur I forgot about that, good info. Also you'll prolly have to make some concession in your front x-member. Most of us either have to dent or cut our stock x-members with b-series swaps. Z10 or Jimfabx-members make a lot of room...$$$ though.

[Modified by Speed PHreak, 5:57 PM 1/16/2003]
Old 01-16-2003, 03:01 PM

Default Re: Will a Full-Race fit in a CRX? (Speed PHreak)

Dhur I forgot about that, good info. Also you'll prolly have to make some concession in your front x-member. Most of us either have to dent or cut our stock x-members with b-series swaps. Z10 or Jimfabx-members make a lot of room...$$$ though.
[Modified by Speed PHreak, 5:57 PM 1/16/2003]
Actually, its a little shorter than stock. It sits in there slanted like yours. I beleive the bottom of it is mounted where the AC radiator mounts.
Old 01-16-2003, 03:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I plan on doing everything to this engine, fuel, ignition and I am getting a jimfab xmember. I'm not rich but I can save money and do things in stages. For the most part the engine it self will not be put in my can until it is completely built for turbo, from the pan to the valve cover.

I have come up with a rough total of what I want my car to be and how much it will cost and if I do my budgeting right, it should take me about a 2 years to complete it (engine, body, suspension).

I would normally ask my friend who does pro-racing, but it has been a long time since we spoken to each other that I would feel awkward coming out of nowhere with a boatload of questions. Heh it's been a good 6 or 7 years since we used to run together. That is beside the point though.

What I ultimately want to do is build an engine that can extract the maximum amount of hp on pump gas. I know it sounds silly to some people but it is what I want.

As for engine management, I'm debating between hondata (low), AEM EMS (high) or possibly Motec (over priced?)

I don't like log style manifolds, all of my fiends that I used to race with didn't like them either so I might be somewhat jaded when it comes to this. Even if this will be my first turbo system, I want it done right the first time or not done at all.

Hehhehe I just wish my bud still had a shop instead of becoming a full time racer lol.

Good thing is I am in So. Cal so most of the good turbo system builders are within driving distance. But if I can get in touch with my ol' bud I'll try to get him to build it for me.
Old 01-16-2003, 05:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yes, it will fit.

this customer chose not to use our intercooler, so he had to run a convoluted intake charge pipe. Our kit will fit much better than this. It will require a civic radiator, however.

Phoenix is a short drive from socal, so if you need come out to our shop. i can help you out with just about anything.

[Modified by FFgeoff, 9:54 PM 1/16/2003]
Old 01-16-2003, 07:12 PM

Default Re: Will a Full-Race fit in a CRX? (FFgeoff)

hey geoff do u have pics of the intercooler and piping you guys have for the crx?

[Modified by turborex, 8:13 PM 1/16/2003]

[Modified by turborex, 8:15 PM 1/16/2003]
Old 01-16-2003, 07:14 PM

Hey Geoff,

no AC I take it?

-S
Old 01-16-2003, 08:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 01-16-2003, 10:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Awesome!

Like I said my CRX project will take a couple of years... the turbo will go on right after I brake in the motor. If everything goes according to plan that should be about September this year. The only thing that concerns me is the engine management. If I decide to go with an AEM EMS, motec or FAST, it will set that date back by 2-3 months depending on the system. Recommendations?

That is also why I am contemplating getting the GSR engine over the Type R (price wise). The type R will come with LSD and what I believe to be a better head and im. In the end I think they will cost about the same to completely build, give or take $1000.

As far as the em, I think I will call my bud up and see what he would recommend.

Thanks allot for the pic and the information!
Old 01-16-2003, 10:16 PM

Definately go with the GSR motor and just get a twin track unit (basically an LSD) from
www.azracemachine.com
I know the guy who makes them, he makes very high quality pieces and I will be running the twin trac unit in my car. They work almost as good as a spool but you can actually turn and drive on the street. Save some money and go with the GSR. The stock IM on the Gsr is fine also.

[Modified by highbrid, 7:19 AM 1/17/2003]
Old 01-17-2003, 02:15 AM

Default Re: Will a Full-Race fit in a CRX? (highbrid)

I have a rev hard turbo and mani. and I had fitment probs. I had to cut into my radiator support. I also used 92 c and r radiator place x member and I removed my top part of my radiator headlight support, I made one and got locking hoodpins. I ran my ic piping through the hole where the windshield resevior used to be. Worked out great though.
Old 01-17-2003, 04:26 AM
New User

If you need more room for the rad and intercooler, try swapping your crossmember to a Z10 or jim fab unit. it opens up the front of the car alot to allow easier piping.

Randy
Old 01-17-2003, 06:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Awesome!

The only thing that concerns me is the engine management. If I decide to go with an AEM EMS, motec or FAST, it will set that date back by 2-3 months depending on the system. Recommendations?
You can get either of those systems. The AEM would be the simplist to use, but from what i've heard about it thats not saying much. Honestly I tailor the ECU back to something like a Zdyne or a Hondata(PR3/PW0 ECU base). Either of those will plug up right to your electronics, you won't have to worry about converting over to OBD. Also somethign you'll need to consider is a tuner for your ECU. There are tons of Hondata tuners around, and zdyne isn't too different function-wise from Hondata.

That is also why I am contemplating getting the GSR engine over the Type R (price wise). The type R will come with LSD and what I believe to be a better head and im. In the end I think they will cost about the same to completely build, give or take $1000.
Guess you haven't done that research yet that I asked if you'd done. If you did you'd know that an ITR tranny is a hydro tranny. The EF chassis uses a cable-style tranny. I'm not saying that you can't use a hydro tranny in the EF chassis, it just takes a but of engineering to get it to work. Also if you're looking to make serious power the stock Honda LSD isn't gonna hold-up very long, they're only good up to about 400hp. So eventually you'll be swapping in a Quaife/Kaaz or whatever. If you're still interested in getting a factory LSD, i'd try and source a JDM Y1 tranny w/ LSD. They came of the 89-91 SIR's over in J-land. The Y1 tranny has about the same gearing as a GS-R, maybe a bit steeper.
Old 01-17-2003, 08:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Will a Full-Race fit in a CRX? (turborex)

IC piping for crx from turbo to IC

Ill get a pic of the other piping for you tomororw once i get back to az (im in NJ right now)
Old 01-17-2003, 10:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i have seen that yellow crx at the track and have talked to the owner, very nice car and very nice manifold geoff.......
Old 01-17-2003, 12:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I know the Type R tranny is a hydro. I would actually like a hydro better. I know how to do the conversion to hydro heh Stephan Papadakis did it to his ef hatch when he put a h22 in it back when he and Viet ran Honda Pro. Yeah it is a pain to do but if I have the time to do it, its not a big problem.

Thanks for all the help guys!
Old 01-17-2003, 01:04 PM

let me know if you need a mount kit for your project as i have an hcp kit.

it's good of you to talk to others who have done it and done it to the max. the best thing to always do in a build-up is learn from others and buy the best parts the first time around.

hopefully your budget will allow you to take the crx far. littlebluecrx should be one of your main people you speak to.