Notices

SPA Top Mount Cast Manifold in a CRX?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 10:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SPA Top Mount Cast Manifold in a CRX?

So a few days ago, the guys from SPA Turbo came by the shop to check the shop out... while here, they had one of their Top-mount Cast manifolds here that we could test fit. They know that the manifold is a fairly tight fit in a EG or EK, but there is no real solid data on the CRX, and whether it will fit. The only thing we've seen, is how far out the manifold places the turbo in the other chassis.

Well, we're big fans of the CRX, and i'm in the process of building one for fun, and i was just about to start building my own top-mount manifold for it. While SPA was here though, we test-fit the manifold on my CRX to see how it would sit (and it may keep me from having to build a manifold... haha!) So, we bolted it on the car with the GT35R turbo that i'm going to be running on the car, and came up with this:

So, obviously you can see how far out it pushed the turbo... well, we're inventive here, and this is not going to be a daily driver, so i figured i'd be able to make it work for me

After all, this is a GREAT looking manifold! It is cast, which is nice for a durability standpoint, and the topmount design is very nice, not to mention that the WG location is pretty good for boost control. So, i really want to run this..

So, i asked SPA Turbo to send one over for my project car, and they did... as soon as it arrived, it was shipped right back out to be ceramic coated with a new finish that we offer, which is called "Metallic Gray"... its not dull, like the black coating, but it also isn't blindingly shiny like the "chrome" coating... the turbine and compressor housings are already "chrome" ceramic coated, so i wanted the manifold to be nice and visible, but not clash with the turbo. So, i went with Metallic Gray.

This manifold looks AWESOME in the car.... but, how to make the turbo fit? With the turbo clocked the way it was, the stock hood support would never fit!

So, we created the Panducky Motorsports Clock Flange for the SPA Manifold!

We found that by clocking the turbo on the manifold, we could fit the GT35R on the manifold straight, and it would clear everything (except the hood, but thats a very easy fix). This way, we would actually be able to fit a filter on the end, or run a intake pipe... with the outlet of the compressor housing faced about a 40-deg angle forward, it juuust clears the manifold, and leaves plenty of room for intercooler piping. The downpipe will be able to clear a radiator, and curve down nicely under the motor.

All in all, the angled flange allows this to fit perfectly! So while the manifold may be designed to fit some HUGE turbos, if you don't have a HUGE turbo, then maybe this flange might be your answer to make this fit in your car better, and have more overall clearance

We then wanted to know how it would fit if you happened to have an every-day normal T3 turbo or something... so, i grabbed one off the shelf, and bolted it up...

THis fit even better! It looks like it'll clear the hood with no problems, maybe a slight trimming of some underside structure... it has plenty of room for filters and piping.

The only difficult thing with this whole setup will be running the oil drain, but that should be easy enough.

I'm VERY happy with this manifold, and with the new angled flange on there, the GT35R sits PERFECT! I can't wait to get this thing running!

This is supposed to just be a tech/how-to thread... if you'd like more info about the flange or manifold, please PM me. Thanks!

Old 03-05-2008, 12:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Re: SPA Top Mount Cast Manifold in a CRX? (ComposiMo)

Who made that front end (bumper/flared fenders)?
Old 03-05-2008, 12:44 PM

Default Re: SPA Top Mount Cast Manifold in a CRX? (Autoworks)

Jojo Callos http://www.jojocallosracing.com/

Old 03-05-2008, 01:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

looks good
Old 03-05-2008, 01:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

great idea...my only insight would be to try and eliminate the gaps between the flanges and turbo to create a lesser turbulence in those areas....you flange seems wavy beyond what it would need to be.

otherwise sick job makin a half decent mani work in the rex
Old 03-05-2008, 02:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (drumking15)

just port the poo out of the clocking plate and its an awsome setup.

Good to see alternatives to custom tubulars, let us know what it makes w. that 35r.

Whats the engine setup?
Old 03-05-2008, 02:21 PM

Default Re: (93supercoupe)

drumking: This will likely be ported to the flange... the 'waviness' in the flange is needed, so that the transition will be nice and smooth after it is ported.

93supercoupe: well, the premise of this car is "cheap"... lol! You can read more about this car At This Link the entire car is built with parts i have laying around for the most part... the motor is completely bone-stock, other than it'll have ARP head studs, because i have a spare set from another motor. So, i'm not looking for big number out of it. I'm planning on never installing a roll cage, so the fastest it'll be able to go is an 11.49, and it doesn't need a ton of power to do that. i have a spare GSR block sitting here, and may build it up after a while to see what it'll do, but we'll see. I can say though that this particular turbo on an old setup made right at 600whp... but i'm not looking for anywhere near that forthis car. Its an overkill turbo... lol

Old 03-06-2008, 11:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just ordered mine yesterday, and can't wait to get it in, putting it in a 90 4dr with a b16, and t3/t4 four bolt. Very nice write up.
Old 03-06-2008, 05:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

why does spa even make the manifold so the turbo is clocked at that angle??

you should of told them to redesign their manifolds.
Old 03-06-2008, 06:02 PM

Default Re: (mike93eh2)

Because for anything larger than the GT35R in that pic, you'll need the angle...

I'm still very happy with the manifold... and the angle-plate is a small and very easy fix for the manifold. No need to redesign the whole thing. One size can't fit all, but you can adapt it to fit most

aztec: awesome! i'm sure you'll love the manifold... if you need that flange, let me know
Old 03-06-2008, 06:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mike93eh2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">why does spa even make the manifold so the turbo is clocked at that angle??

you should of told them to redesign their manifolds.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Exactly what I would have said.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ComposiMo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ComposiMo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Because for anything larger than the GT35R in that pic, you'll need the angle...

I'm still very happy with the manifold... and the angle-plate is a small and very easy fix for the manifold. No need to redesign the whole thing. One size can't fit all, but you can adapt it to fit most

aztec: awesome! i'm sure you'll love the manifold... if you need that flange, let me know </TD></TR></TABLE>

uh so youre saying this manifold was designed with turbos larger than gt35's in mind ?

yes, you may be right. no need to redsign it, but i just dont see why they designed it like that in the first place.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:14 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mike93eh2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">uh so youre saying this manifold was designed with turbos larger than gt35's in mind ?

yes, you may be right. no need to redsign it, but i just dont see why they designed it like that in the first place.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats the speculation anyway... haha! ya, i agree,,, it'd be nice if it were a bit closer to the head, and lower, with the turbo sitting straight like it is now that we added the flange to it. But i know that if i go to a larger turbo on this setup in the future, its nice to know i can.... whether or not it'll fit anything else in the engine bay is a mystery (don't need no stinkin headlights or intake filters)... haha!

But also, this manifold really wasn't designed for a CRX anyway either, but we're making it fit
Old 03-07-2008, 10:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Its a pretty different manifold being cast iron and all but it seems like SOOOO much work for what you are doing and what you seem to want out of the car.

im sure you can run a nice stainless topmount and not have to remove or cut a whole bunch of material from the car and still get away with some of the stock creature comforts like headlights..........

also has this manifold been tested as far as what kind of power it makes? or hea it will retain? just wondering
Old 03-07-2008, 11:49 AM
I tell doctors what to do

Default Re: (mrbsponge)

What is really the point of a cast topmount manifold other than bling? Will this even make any performance gains or is it just going to make fitting a turbo that much more difficult?
Old 03-08-2008, 10:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ILcrxsi1)

simple but great innovation
Old 03-08-2008, 04:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What about the oil drain?
Old 03-23-2008, 05:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SPA Top Mount Cast Manifold in a CRX? (5thgearburnout)

X2 but otherwise it looks nice and solid.
Old 03-23-2008, 05:18 AM

Default Re: SPA Top Mount Cast Manifold in a CRX? (1991civicsi)

whoops, sorry for not answering the oil drain question... haha!

The oil drain will be quite easy to setup actually... once i get the new turbo here, and the lines run, i'll post up some pics. We've had a few other things going on at the shop in the last couple of weeks, so the car has been put on the side, but we're planning on doing more work to it this week, and that should include the drain to
Old 04-08-2008, 09:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Oil drain shouldn't be a problem, I had no problems with this mani in my dc2.

The mani is an excellent piece and my spool time is excellent with a 60-1

I'm just curious, the reason they clocked the turbo like that was so the outlet on the blower side of the turbo would not hit the 1st mani runner. I'm interested in seeing how you rout your hot side piping with the modified clock flange. Maybe a back door IC I guess?

I honestly want to try out one of your clock flanges after I see the results of your piping. We doing several turbo setups for customers a month and a few have shown interest in these manifolds.

Looks good man, good luck.
DK

edit: I'm also curious what you used to paint the block and tranny? How did you prep it and have you had success with it actually sticking to the alum before?

Modified by Boosted_B_Series at 10:30 AM 4/8/2008
Old 05-01-2008, 03:16 AM

Subscribed. If I had not already bought my top mount set-up for my CRX I would have definitely considered the SPA manifold w/your adapter plate. This will be a very good set-up for those on a budget. Get this one done and post up some dyno numbers and track times. Project looks great so far. Love that three piece front end too. Can you post up more pics of it particularly where the fender flares meet with the doors. Front pics too. I'm really thinking about buying it soon.
Old 05-01-2008, 05:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

man i have to get one for my proyeect to look good,how much
Old 05-02-2008, 05:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SPA Top Mount Cast Manifold in a CRX? (Raskycrx)

I wonder if one of those flanges would allow you to keep a/c in an EG? I don't suppose you have one laying around, do you?
Old 06-16-2008, 10:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SPA Top Mount Cast Manifold in a CRX? (Jvs10)

I think they have these flanges readily available .
Old 06-16-2008, 03:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

nice

Quick Reply: SPA Top Mount Cast Manifold in a CRX?