A wierd ticking noise and a lack of boost?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2002, 07:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A wierd ticking noise and a lack of boost?

My newly turboed car worked fine a week ago.(and to an extent still does) I have a 93 hatch D16 w/ a Greddy Turbo kit. Everything from the kit is still at its stock settings so I should be putting getting roughly 5 psi. For the first week everything was fine. The small turbo was able to spool quickly in any gear.
Now my car doesn't want to reach 5 psi in first. Traction is not an issue right now so I'd really like the additional power that I could originally feel. I reach about 2 / 3 psi at around 4,000rpms and its stays at that low ammount all the way to 7,000. 2nd gear is able to hit 5 psi but even that is coming later in the gear than before. I can hit 5 psi around 5,200rpms.
This is really starting to bug me. I checked all the charge pipes and they are all snug and connected properly. I was told to check the vacuum lines. What does this consist of? I heard a slight wind noise from an area around the intake manifold. There is also a rapid ticking coming from around the manifold near the timing belt. Any ideas at all??? Like I said I have a small turbo so spolling in lower gear shouldn't be affected to greatly by my lack of exhaust or boost controller. It was fine a week ago. 5psi No problem. What could of changed??? Damage to turbo internals??? Anything blown up??? Im getting a little flustered Anything advice is welcome ( to a certain extent anyways ) Thanks
Old 08-06-2002, 09:11 PM

Default Re: A wierd ticking noise and a lack of boost? (BigD+Itsuki)

ttt
Old 08-06-2002, 09:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: A wierd ticking noise and a lack of boost? (BigD+Itsuki)

Your check valves may have gone bad, go to a fish store, buy new ones and replace the ones you have. Also, a vacuum line may have popped off or has an air leak. These vacuum lines could be coming off the side of your turbo to the side of your wastegate, a line from the BOV to a vacuum source, a line from your manifold to your FMU, or any other line from your manifold that goes to XXX. anyways, let us know if this helps you out.
Old 08-06-2002, 09:53 PM
New User

Default Re: A wierd ticking noise and a lack of boost? (GudeH23a)

that ticking sound is an exhaust leak either btween ur mani+turbo or turbo+dp.