Notices

Why didn't my larger wastegate spring increase my boost?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2005, 09:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Why didn't my larger wastegate spring increase my boost?

Hey guys i am running a tial 38mm wastegate with my setup. I had an 8psi spring and wanted to turn my boost up to 10psi. The turboxs boost controller could turn it up, but it would fall back a couple of psi after vtec crossover...so i ordered a 10psi wastegate spring. I installed it and my boost didn't really increase. The first night it looked like i was boosting maybe 1 psi more, but now it doesn't seem to be anymore different than the 8psi spring
Old 03-13-2005, 09:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Why didn't my larger wastegate spring increase my boost? (SOHC_MShue)

How new is the turbo and are you reading boost from an electronic or mechanical gauge.
Old 03-13-2005, 09:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Why didn't my larger wastegate spring increase my boost? (ScottEK)

the turbo is fairly old..its from a wrx and is very small. The turbo isn't messed up though because i can boost plenty with a boost controller..it will just drop back a couple of psi.

I am using a mechanical boost gauge and I am also datalogging my map signal.
Old 03-13-2005, 09:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Why didn't my larger wastegate spring increase my boost? (SOHC_MShue)

Do you have any idea why your boost is dropping back down a couple psi??
Old 03-13-2005, 09:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Why didn't my larger wastegate spring increase my boost? (97hb)

I'm not sure. I'm assuming it has something to do with running a boost controller on a small *** turbo...it seems like lots of people have this problem..with setups like the greddy kit. If i run right of the 8psi wastegate spring then i will hold 8psi very steady...if i hook the mbc up with it set at 0 increase i will boost 8psi and drop down to 7psi or something after 5500 rpms.
Old 03-13-2005, 10:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

where is the pressure source from for the bc?
Old 03-13-2005, 10:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (PrettyLude)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PrettyLude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">where is the pressure source from for the bc?</TD></TR></TABLE>

the above question and the type of vaccum line you are using seem to be the question. also how the mbc lines are seccured...zipties, hose clamps, etc.
Old 03-13-2005, 11:32 PM

Default Re: (Syner-G-Racing)

you sure u don't have a boost leak?

i had a super small crack in my clamps and it did the same thing to me, not able to hold boost with my old sold setup.
Old 03-14-2005, 07:12 AM

Default Re: (Quad-Damge)

I had the same problem on my last turbo setup.. There was a 6psi spring and I wanted 8-9psi but it would go up to 8-9psi and drop back down.. I then turned it up to 11psi and it would go straight to 11psi and stay there..
Old 03-14-2005, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Syner-G-Racing)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syner-G-Racing &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

the above question and the type of vaccum line you are using seem to be the question. also how the mbc lines are seccured...zipties, hose clamps, etc. </TD></TR></TABLE>
the pressure source is coming from the brake booster and it is secured with a zip tie. I don't think i have any vacuum leaks because my vacuum at idle has always been right where it needs to be.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Quad-Damge &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you sure u don't have a boost leak?

i had a super small crack in my clamps and it did the same thing to me, not able to hold boost with my old sold setup.</TD></TR></TABLE>
no boost leak because when i used to just be internally gated i've had the boost creep up way past 8 and 10psi before.
Old 03-14-2005, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SOHC_MShue)

One other thing is that when i was replacing the spring i kinda smushed one side of the orange diaphram thing that was in there with the spring. Could that effect anything? I thought that if that got messed up then my boost would creep.
Old 03-14-2005, 09:49 AM
at the jetties fishin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SOHC_MShue &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">One other thing is that when i was replacing the spring i kinda smushed one side of the orange diaphram thing that was in there with the spring. Could that effect anything? I thought that if that got messed up then my boost would creep. </TD></TR></TABLE>

lol, pull it back out and un-smush it.

not only that but you could have torn it when you "smushed" it.
Old 03-14-2005, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (stackz)

well i tried unmushing it, but it didn't really want to unmush. I checked for tears and didn't see any. I think its still doing its job though because wouldn't i be overboosting or something if that was messed up? Its sill holding 8-9psi pretty steady.
Old 03-14-2005, 09:59 AM
at the jetties fishin'

yeah, if it was mushed and untorn you'd be overboosting. I just thought it had a tear in it was all.

you happen to know the trim rating on that turbo?? I'm pretty sure with it being a small turbo, probably whats happening is you're reaching the outer limits of it's efficiency range on the high end of your rpm range. Probably just time to start looking for a bit of an upgrade.

probably a .60/.48 or .60/.63 from a ford 2.3t engine is where you want to be.
Old 03-14-2005, 10:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i'm not sure..its tiny as ****. Its a tdo413t or something like that. Whatever comes in the regular wrx's. I wouldn't think that it would be running out of its efficiency at only 8psi. People push these turbos to like 18psi on wrx's and i have seen mine go to over 15psi before
Old 03-14-2005, 10:09 AM
at the jetties fishin'

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SOHC_MShue &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i'm not sure..its tiny as ****. Its a tdo413t or something like that. Whatever comes in the regular wrx's. I wouldn't think that it would be running out of its efficiency at only 8psi. People push these turbos to like 18psi on wrx's and i have seen mine go to over 15psi before </TD></TR></TABLE>

was it able to hold that pressure or was it just a quick spike?

Is there any "T"'s in between the compressor housing outlet----to----wastegate line?? if so, unhook them and run a brand new line and clamp it at both ends and try that.

also, try hooking your boost controller straight to the vacuum tree at the intake manifold, again with a new line.

I've seen/had some interesting problems in the past with these two lines when I or friends would start playing with them.

some things are just best left with dedicated feeds heh.
Old 03-14-2005, 10:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It would hold 15psi.

there are no t's near the compressor because i'm running the source from the brake booster instead...however there is a T at the brake booster. Maybe i'll have to just fool around with the lines and see what happens.
Old 03-14-2005, 03:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump for anymore info