Notices

Who'se running an open down pipe?

Old 07-15-2004, 09:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who'se running an open down pipe?

Well the turbo will be going on the new engine by the end of the month, hopefully. I just ordered the engine today... Im giddy already.

Anyway, I recently found out that no one in my hick *** province can mandrel bend me a pipe for my exhaust. There is no way in hell that I'm going to get a crush bent pipe either. So until my pipeing comes in next month, I'll just be running a 3" open DP. My question is, how loud is this thing going to be? Is it going to be so insanely loud that cops are going to track me down from blocks away?

I don't really care how it sounds, because it's only temperary, but I'd rather not attract the pigs.
Old 07-15-2004, 09:29 PM

well,hmmm when i put on my dc header i had to drive around uncapped for 2 days.lets put it this way my b16 was louder then my roomates 10 sec nova .it will be loud enough to get you stopped for a noise violation.just do what i did.when ever you see a cop coming push in the clutch and cruz.
Old 07-15-2004, 09:52 PM
sh!t happens.

G

Default Re: (PHOBIA)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PHOBIA &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well,hmmm when i put on my dc header i had to drive around uncapped for 2 days.lets put it this way my b16 was louder then my roomates 10 sec nova .it will be loud enough to get you stopped for a noise violation.just do what i did.when ever you see a cop coming push in the clutch and cruz.</TD></TR></TABLE>

THE GUY SAID OPEN DOWNPIPE!! open header is louder than a bike.. you cant compare Open downpipe to open header.

opendown pipe is much quiter. i drove my turbo teg open downpipe for 6 mouths and never got pulled over and you can hear the turbo spool up.. its the best sound in the world. all the turbo cars around here run open down pipe. i say run it its not loud at all the only thing is you can smell the gases in the exhaust..... and the inside of your car gets hotter and the floor and your feet get hot as for the shift ****.. if you plan on a long trip put a shirt or something on that shift **** cause that thing gets hot as hell.
Old 07-15-2004, 10:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (G"UNIT)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by G"UNIT &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">THE GUY SAID OPEN DOWNPIPE!! open header is louder than a bike.. you cant compare Open downpipe to open header.

opendown pipe is much quiter. i drove my turbo teg open downpipe for 6 mouths and never got pulled over and you can hear the turbo spool up.. its the best sound in the world. all the turbo cars around here run open down pipe. i say run it its not loud at all the only thing is you can smell the gases in the exhaust..... and the inside of your car gets hotter and the floor and your feet get hot as for the shift ****.. if you plan on a long trip put a shirt or something on that shift **** cause that thing gets hot as hell. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Ok good to know. It will only be temporary as I said. I have an Apexi N1 (3") for my exhaust. Just gonna have to wait a while before I can buy the piping. I always thought it would be cool to have the stock CX piping but have an open DP. I guess we'll do that for a while
Old 07-16-2004, 04:34 AM

Default Re: (Sound Streamin')

yeah dude. open downpipe is really not loud at all. I run open downpipe on my daily driver and have never been pull for being to loud.
Open downpipe is the shiz. the turbo sounds so much cooler!
Old 07-16-2004, 04:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: (Stickdeath)

im probably going to have to run open downpipe. Im having a 4" downpipe made and then im going to run 2 dynamax bullet mufflers after the downpipe and thats it. Im told it wont be loud at all, especially with the 2 mini mufflers. so in answer as others have said, shouldnt be too loud since the turbo acts as a muffler itself
Old 07-16-2004, 04:53 AM

I gotta open DP, and its not loud at all...you'll be alright
Old 07-16-2004, 05:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (b18bEG)

I got an exhaust cut out from a V-8 performance shop for $35 bucks. Most muffler shops will weld these on for a little of nothing!
Old 07-16-2004, 10:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (TurboR1391)

get like an 18in resonator welded up and have up put a turn down on the end of it............cheap and gets the job done VERY well

i have a video of a ls turbo rex running this setup if you're interested in hearing it..........PM
Old 07-17-2004, 12:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (2thousandcivic)

kteller piping isn't too expensive
Old 07-20-2004, 01:25 PM

Default Re: (u2civic1)

I don't have my turbo setup yet, but what I'm thinking of doining is running the exhaust to the passenger side of the car and dumping there. If it's too loud I'll add a resonator or something like that. From "Maximum Boost" (the book) I read that 1/3 of exhaust sounds is taken by the turbo so it'll be about 1/3 quieter then a N/A straight of its headers. I'll post that video BTW
Old 07-21-2004, 10:32 AM

Default Re: (adseguy)

i've got the video of the turbo rex using a resonator.......i accidently posted under 2thousandcivic's name................

anyway, now that i think about it a little, his setup had about a 1 or 1.5 foot piece of pipe before the resonator anyway, here's a couple vids

the first video has a fairly normal downshift that should give you an idea of what a similar setup would sound like under normal driving.........the second video is your standard fly by

http://www.we-todd-did-racing....DE%3D

http://www.we-todd-did-racing....DE%3D
Old 07-21-2004, 01:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: (JSpin)

2nd vid is screwed up
Old 07-21-2004, 02:03 PM

Default Re: (Casey)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Casey &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">2nd vid is screwed up </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yep I was really looking forward to hearing it too.
Old 07-22-2004, 08:08 AM

i'll fix it tonight............

my internet was being funky when i uploaded the vids to we-todd-did. i'm just getting my broadband setup, so i'll try again today
Old 07-22-2004, 08:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JSpin)

I run open downpipe. It's not too bad. If you're running 2.5" it's pretty quiet, but 3" gets loud when your on it. But yeah, i just push in the clutch when i go past a cop and i've never been pulled over yet for it. The turbo does sound WAY better and also seems to help spoolup.

you'll be fine
Old 07-22-2004, 09:14 AM

Default Re: (racinskittle)

I myself is running Open DP on my CRX. When you step on it the sound echos in the cabine so it sounds extremely loud. You can feel the vibrations that the exhaust creates. But when you actually listen from the out side it ain't so bad, plus you hear that unmistakable whine of the turbo.

I actually attached a short 45 degree bend on my DP to angle the exahust downward.

I will be running it this way for some time till I get enough money to get an exhaust done up for me.