Notices

Who's using adjustable oil feed restrictors?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2005, 12:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Who's using adjustable oil feed restrictors?

Hi guys,

I was just wondering who here is running an adjustable restrictor in their feed line. I was thining about running one of these in my feed line and monitoring the oil pressure after the restrictor wqith a second oil pressure gauge. Right now I plan on mounting an Autometer oil pres gauge right onto my Greddy sandwich plate. The pres sender was going to share the a brass T that will also be hooked up to my oil feed line. So that should tell me what my oil pressure is in the line right.

Now I was thinking about mounting an adjustable restrictor and then close to the turbo oil inlet I want to mount a second oil pres gauge.

what do you guys think?
Old 04-11-2005, 01:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Who's using adjustable oil feed restrictors? (BlueShadow)

i think just save yourself all that trouble and get a non adjustable one?
Old 04-11-2005, 05:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The pressure that matters is between the restrictor output and oil feed input of the turbo - if you're gauge is plumbed there, you're measuring right.
Old 04-11-2005, 06:32 AM

Default Re: Who's using adjustable oil feed restrictors? (EE_Chris)

I have run a oil line setup with restrictor valve and gauge for the turbo. I did it because I was using a junkyard turbo with unknown miles. If you have a new turbo I wouldnt worry about it. or just get a non ajustable one..
Old 04-11-2005, 08:11 AM

Default Re: Who's using adjustable oil feed restrictors? (doubleA)

If you are going to mount a gauge and adjustable restrictor, I always recommend using a firewall kit to mount all of this. The heat of the turbo would scare me mounting these things at the turbo. (my adjustable restrictor has a hard rubber adjustement ****). Not sure if you were going to do it this way, just thought I'd throw out the high temp issue if you were to mount it at the turbo.
Old 04-11-2005, 12:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Who's using adjustable oil feed restrictors? (stealthmode62)

thanks for the input guys,

The reason I was thining about using two oil pres gauges is cause I wanted to measure the pressure before and after the restrictor. Just out of curiousity, what oil presures are you guys seeing with non adjustable restrictors? and with adjustable ones how low were you able to get your oil pressure? both idle and redline.

thanks
Old 04-11-2005, 12:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

how low? couldn't you get the pressure to 0 psi if you can close it all the way?
Old 04-11-2005, 12:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Who's using adjustable oil feed restrictors? (SHystrdyGSRtdy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SHystrdyGSRtdy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how low? couldn't you get the pressure to 0 psi if you can close it all the way?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I didn't mean by shutting it all the way. I meant how low were they able to get it without affecting high and low oil pressure. That one dude in the other thread was saying that at idle his oil pres was 10 psi, and at higher rpms' it was 30-40 something psi. I wanted to now if the guys with adjustable were able to lower the high psi at higher rpms without affecting the low psi low rpm oil pressure.
Old 04-11-2005, 01:10 PM

I don't know if its linear, but if you restrict your idle oil psi, you're going to do the same on the high rpm psi.
Old 04-11-2005, 01:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Who's using adjustable oil feed restrictors? (stealthmode62)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stealthmode62 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I don't know if its linear, but if you restrict your idle oil psi, you're going to do the same on the high rpm psi. </TD></TR></TABLE>

hmmm...I was thinking differently. I was thinking that when you adjust the hole smaller then it would still be big enough to allow the oil to flow at 10 psi at lower rpms but at higher rpms as the oil flow picks up it would start getting restricted.