Notices

who here has a light fly wheel on their turbo car?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2003, 04:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default who here has a light fly wheel on their turbo car?

those who have a light fly wheel, did it have any bad effects? lose torque? any other negative things i should know? and what good things come from it with turbo?
Old 02-26-2003, 04:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: who here has a light fly wheel on their turbo car? (nd8ch)

I had my stocker lightened to 14lbs and I really like it. I've driven cars with 8lb units and more but I like my 14lb as far as performance, throttle response combined with drivability.
Old 02-26-2003, 04:13 PM
New User

got toda flywheel...loving it a lot.
hard to launch at first but you get use to it.
Old 02-26-2003, 04:50 PM

Default Re: who here has a light fly wheel on their turbo car? (LS-T)

got toda flywheel...loving it a lot.
hard to launch at first but you get use to it.
Except mine is the JUN. Top end is better, which is needed for a SOHC.
Old 02-26-2003, 05:01 PM

Default Re: who here has a light fly wheel on their turbo car? (swrdply400mrelay)

so you get better highend? in the other forum, some guy said for turbo's its not a good performance upgrade...im so confused, i dont want to crack out 200+ for a mod that makes me slower..someone school me please LOL
Old 02-26-2003, 05:06 PM

I dunno about power, but you will spool faster cuz your motor revs faster. The faster you go thru the gears, the faster your going. Like the tranny debate.
Old 02-27-2003, 05:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: who here has a light fly wheel on their turbo car? (BoostedGSRBubble)

I dunno about power, but you will spool faster cuz your motor revs faster. The faster you go thru the gears, the faster your going. Like the tranny debate.
Also remember it is a double edge sword. You may rev faster but you will loose revs quicker if you are not a good driver i.e. can not shift through the gears fast. The lightness of the flywheel works both ways. So IMOP it can be good and bad
Old 02-27-2003, 05:37 AM
New User

Default Re: who here has a light fly wheel on their turbo car? (underpressure02)

True there are pros and cons, but IMO the pros def. out way the cons by a long shot.

I use a clutchmaster 9lbs flywheel mated to ACT clutch. The flywheel is pretty damn light. I picked up my stock vs clutchmaster, and the stock is much heavier obviously. I had it on since I was N/A. I remember just installing when the car was N/A, it made a tremendous improvement in off the line acceleration. When the car gotboosted the performance is awesome. Turbo spools up so fast considering its a T3/T04e. It pulls mighty hard.

My freind has a very similiar setup as mine back home, I can tell you there is a difference in pull in 3rd.

It is true if u dont shift fast it drops quick, but nothing alittle rev matching cant do, and the way I see it, the only time your granny shifting anyways is around town. When your getting on it, you def tend to shift a tad faster

I could only imagine how a 7.5lb wheel would perform, it be sick. Since I actually HAVE a lighten flywheel installed on a boosted car, I would def. recommend it.
Old 02-27-2003, 06:41 AM

Default Re: who here has a light fly wheel on their turbo car? (lshatchturbo)

wow, sounds all good to me...but what is this loosing torque effect?
someone in another forum says for turbo its a bad thing to have, losing tq high end, but gaining hp??? dropping revs faster sounds more like an advantage to me

the purpose of the turbo is to make your engine spin faster...

if your engine can spin faster than the turbo its not doing you much good.

say for instance a catapult... you put a balloon in a catapult to launch the **** out of it...

think of the engine beating the turbo as if the balloon started to accelerate before the catapult could put its inertia behind the ballons velocity...

depending on the type of turbo you get too depends also on the flywheel advantage... I believe ball bearing turbos spin a lot faster than a normal turbo... that application takes time to suck in air from an intercooler, or pipe... your engine sucking in air then shoots out exhaust to power the turbo then the turbo shoots the air back thru the engine... if your engine's exhaust is powering the turbo and at a certain rpm in the turbo makes it's power is beat by the engine. and the turbo is at maximum power... that energy shot back into an engine already at its max power in that gear will not produce anymore power... it just shoots through the bov when you switch to the next gear... thus killing your lowend, at the top of second gear or mid third gear that power will be realized with the light flywheel...

where as with the normal flywheel the turbo isnt being beat by the engine so the turbo;s compressed air has time to still make power before the engine is at maximum output...

its really confusing I read someones explination on this a long time ago and it all made sense but i cant find the **** for the life of me on csi...

the benefit however of having the lightwheight flywheel with a supercharger is... the supercharger is powered by how fast your engine can spin... if you engine spins faster the blower can suck in air faster thus producing power faster...

your tq on either application is compromised because the flywheel being lighter doesnt produce the kinetic energy to spin as long as the heavier flywheel so your rev;s will drop faster as soon as you get off the gas! and the lighter the flywheel the more you will realize this...
i still dont get it, does anyone here know what this is all about?
Old 02-27-2003, 06:56 AM

Type R flywheel
Old 02-27-2003, 07:05 AM
New User

Default Re: who here has a light fly wheel on their turbo car? (B20-T)

I dont know about losing torque, maybe its just in my mind...but i can easily spin the **** out of 1st, 2nd, 3rd with my 17's and street tires and I am running the LS tranny. Its probably cause the turbo has spooled up already.

If you were around here I just let you drive my car so you can have a clear conscience about this

[Modified by lshatchturbo, 11:09 AM 2/27/2003]
Old 02-27-2003, 07:06 AM

1. The purpose of a turbo is NOT to make your motor spin faster. It is to force more air into the motor than the atmosphere naturally allows. Thus: FORCED INDUCTION and NATURALLY ASPIRATED. More air in+more air out=more power in either application.
2.The only part of the motor that spins is the crank, which the flywheel is attached to.
3. ALSO, under boost, there is no suction, its positive pressure.
4. Will you loose some torque, probabaly. I dont think itz cuz the revs drop fast tho. I think it has something to do w/ load on the crank. Will you be faster, yup.
5. If you want good info, stay here on H-T, CSI has about 100x's the BS, noobs, bench racing and misinformation.
Old 02-27-2003, 07:55 AM

engine spin faster than the turbo? i dunno, i'm kinda doubtful that will happen. do you know how fast the blades in that snail spins?!
Old 02-27-2003, 08:12 AM

Default Re: who here has a light fly wheel on their turbo car? (Pengo)

sad..the guy who posted what i pasted is from H-T

when the stock clutch goes out, does it gradually go, or does it wear out in a short period of time?

mine is kinda slippy from 2-3, and 3-4...but i dont know if its still good and not able to hold the power, or just slowly going bye-bye

BTW, im so glad to find H-T, i seriously have been missing out.
Old 02-27-2003, 08:57 AM

i have a 8.5lb fidanza on my nissan. its good for throttle response and feel.....takes a little while to get used to though.
Old 02-27-2003, 09:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: who here has a light fly wheel on their turbo car? (javierb14)

correct me if i'm wrong, but doesn't the average turbo with low boost spin around 40,000 rpms? At what point does any car engine spin that fast

[Modified by symba, 6:21 PM 2/27/2003]
Old 02-27-2003, 09:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

sad..the guy who posted what i pasted is from H-T

when the stock clutch goes out, does it gradually go, or does it wear out in a short period of time?

mine is kinda slippy from 2-3, and 3-4...but i dont know if its still good and not able to hold the power, or just slowly going bye-bye

BTW, im so glad to find H-T, i seriously have been missing out.

depends on how ruff you are with your clutch...mine went slowly and so far everyone i've known has slowly died. but alas, we are still poor n/a souls searching for the darkside

[Modified by symba, 6:24 PM 2/27/2003]
Old 02-27-2003, 10:12 AM

Default Re: who here has a light fly wheel on their turbo car? (symba)

man...i thought i was gonna be the only one up this early...

i drive like the average man, gentle "follow the crowd" kinda driving unless once in a while im first at a light, or racing...freeways, im usually just on 5th and floored.

i guess i got sometime, maybe i can hold on to this clutch till summer.

i remember i lost to a gti because my clutch didnt let me into 4th fast enough. probbaly wouldnt have beat him, but probbaly owuld have stayed side by side till we ended.