Notices

whats the ignition prob??

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2004, 09:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whats the ignition prob??

so im driving down the road and car starts to run rough (2mins in to the drive) so i pull into mickey D's
before i can pull into a spot the car shuts off leaving me to puch it into a spot--

pop the hood and woa looky here-- one of theplug wires has come off the distributer.. no prob-- pop it back on--

still no start....
so i open the cap and check the rotor-- i have had the rotor button fly off before at high rpms and get crushed-- several times even with lock tite on the dang screw....

so sure enough the screw is a bit loose-- i tighten it up

still no start.. buy a new rotor button (had to WALK two blocks --lol) new button = no dice

car turns over like it wants to start but nothing happens--
any suggestions?? its late now and i have a test tomorrow so i said forget it.... ill check to see if each wire has spark and this will tell me if the dizzy is bad but any other suggestions??????
Old 03-25-2004, 10:29 PM

Default Re: whats the ignition prob?? (95gsrturbo)

Recently I had a similar problem. I took my car out for a test drive, and it almost stalled. Then I brought it back to my house, and it was idling rough, then died. When I tried turning it over again it would crank and sound like it wanted to start but it wouldn't. I checked to so if I was getting spark and I was not.

After a lot of trouble shooting I sourced it to the igniter and ignition coil. I replaced just the igniter and the car still wouldn't turn over, when I replaced the coil it struggled then turned over. So in all honesty my igniter might have been fine, but oh well who knows when it might have crapped out on me.

Jake D.
Old 03-26-2004, 08:47 AM

Default Re: whats the ignition prob?? (BlackKnight7)

cost on the igniter-

autozone/pep boys/ advance auto parts part or OEM only-- suggestions???

thanks
Old 03-26-2004, 10:36 AM

Default Re: whats the ignition prob?? (95gsrturbo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95gsrturbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">cost on the igniter-

autozone/pep boys/ advance auto parts part or OEM only-- suggestions???

thanks</TD></TR></TABLE>

I paid 80 for the igniter, and 50 for the coil, from what I have seen thats about market value for the stock parts. I bought it from Robbins Auto Parts, I believe Autozone and Pepboys sell this stuff. OEM ie from honda is almost always much more expensive, I am not sure on the quality difference between autoparts store and Honda. I know for instance that Honda master cylinders are reportedly better than autoparts store, a guy on this board said he went through like 5 autoparts store MC's before going with a Honda. I would suggest doing the tests they have in the manual to see what is malfunctioning.

Jake D
Old 03-27-2004, 12:03 PM

Default Re: whats the ignition prob?? (BlackKnight7)

thanks for the help guys -- it was teh coil-- got a new one now i just need to hook up the msd thats in the closet..
Old 03-10-2014, 04:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: whats the ignition prob??

Can someone help. I have an 03 EP3. I havent had any prob. But today i went to drive hm. And it wouldnt start. It was just turning and turning. I could here the fuel pump buzz. Awww so frusterating. ANY VALUABLE INPUT CAN REALLY HELP! Plz help
Old 03-10-2014, 05:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by stunnawer1
Can someone help. I have an 03 EP3. I havent had any prob. But today i went to drive hm. And it wouldnt start. It was just turning and turning. I could here the fuel pump buzz. Awww so frusterating. ANY VALUABLE INPUT CAN REALLY HELP! Plz help
test for spark?
Old 03-10-2014, 05:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

On an 03 how?
Old 03-11-2014, 04:15 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

take the coils and plugs out, put the plug in the coil and place the plug end on the valvecover (or other grounded engine component) and have someone turn the motor over.

you'll be able to see the spark jump the gap.