Notices

What direction does the stock oil cooler water lines flow? I want to see if my water

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What direction does the stock oil cooler water lines flow? I want to see if my water

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbob...er_Cooling.pdf

After reading that. It says to mount the turbo at a 20 degree angle. Mount the water inlet to the lower side and the hotter water outlet on the higher side of the turbo.

I deleted the stock oil cooler and I'm useing the stock oil cooler ports for the turbo water lines. One water port comes out of the block next to the stock oil pressure sensor. The other port is sort of under the throttle body.

Which way does the water flow?
Are my water lines backwards?

How bad is it if my water lines are hooked up backwards?

If u look on how my waterline is set up. The side of the turbo (higher side )closer to the engine is ran to the stock oil cooler waterline under the throttle body/ intake manifold. The other side of the turbo (closest to the fan/radiator) which is the lower side has the line ran to the stock oil cooler waterline coming out the block next to the stock oil pressure light sensor.

Old 10-18-2013, 12:50 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: What direction does the stock oil cooler water lines flow? I want to see if my wa

Don't worry about that 20 degree guideline so much. Oil orientation for the turbocharger is much more important than the angle for the water lines you have there. It's just an optimal conditions guideline, but if it interferes with the angle of the oil return, don't do it. Stay completely vertical on the cartridge and you'll be fine.

location of where you're getting water from should be ok, as the TB and the block or water neck are standard locations to get water.
Old 10-18-2013, 01:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: What direction does the stock oil cooler water lines flow? I want to see if my wa

Originally Posted by TheShodan
Don't worry about that 20 degree guideline so much. Oil orientation for the turbocharger is much more important than the angle for the water lines you have there. It's just an optimal conditions guideline, but if it interferes with the angle of the oil return, don't do it. Stay completely vertical on the cartridge and you'll be fine.

location of where you're getting water from should be ok, as the TB and the block or water neck are standard locations to get water.
Thank you for replying. I always appreciate your advice.

Due to the way my turbo manifold places the turbo. I must have the turbo mounted at a minimum of about 30degrees. If I mounted the turbo vertical the oil return would hit the stock s2000"s front crossmember.

So your saying it won't matter much even if my water lines for the turbo are routed backwards??

Would you happen to know the flow dirrection of water for the stock oil cooler ports?