Notices

wastegate placement? pics, old skool DC sports mani! help.

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2003, 12:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wastegate placement? pics, old skool DC sports mani! help.

Alright, I got this SOHC t3 flanged DC sports turbo manifold. I am in the process of building a 300-350whp SOHC. t3/t40e probably, not sure on trim. I got this bling mani for a steal of a deal, and am looking to put an external wastegate flange on it with a 90 degree elbow. probably a tial 40mm. i was thinking of putting in the middle of the 4 runners, where they merge, but that would eliminate that little cone thing that everyone makes a big deal out of for flow reasons... and dont make fun of the welds yet, im going to probably get it rewelded at the merge point and also will be bracing it. please help me with placement of a wastegate! thanks!

if you need more pics, let me know!

david
Old 04-16-2003, 01:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: wastegate placement? pics, old skool DC sports mani! help. (00TurboEX)

Now I'm NOT experienced in manifold design at all, but I would really think that if you placed the wastegate on either runner 1 or 4, right over the collector, you'd be doing good. Then again my idea might suck *****
Old 04-16-2003, 04:04 PM

Default Re: wastegate placement? pics, old skool DC sports mani! help. (Hatchblack)

haha, cool, thanks for the ideas , i really have no clue what direction to go with this mani....i really cant afford to have boost creep or spikes when im gonna be running 20-25psi on this thing. id like to use this mani bc of the bling but it may not be worth my time. and its a/c compatible. neat. keep em coming thanks.
Old 04-16-2003, 04:46 PM

Default Re: wastegate placement? pics, old skool DC sports mani! help. (00TurboEX)

I'm thinking it would function best right in the middle of the collector but it would be a bitch to put it there. And yea, that thing is seriously OLD school... They stopped making those a long time ago. (Mind you, i've been following "the scene" for 11 years now despite being in the midwest away from the heart of this stuff.)
Old 04-16-2003, 04:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: wastegate placement? pics, old skool DC sports mani! help. (ClubSiRacer)

OR, if you want to keep the manifold in one piece without cutting a wastegate hole, then make a short adapter that's flanged on both ends. You can mount it between the manifold and turbo...then weld a WG extension off that adapter.

Old 04-16-2003, 05:10 PM

Default Re: wastegate placement? pics, old skool DC sports mani! help. (ClubSiRacer)

yeah, that best part about the old school thing, is that this one is brand new, never even installed. been around a while, but not used. i was thinking in the center also, and as far as it being a bitch, thats up to the person that will do it...i dont have a tig. and ctr, thats not a bad idea, but i wanna keep the wastegate on top of the mani, cause im ATTEMPTING to keep a/c and put a filter on. thanks.
Old 04-16-2003, 09:10 PM

up for the late nighters...
Old 04-16-2003, 09:52 PM

Default Re: (00TurboEX)

what i would do is get a turbo with one of the holes in the exhaust flange like you can see in this pic

then have an "o2 housing" as dsmer's call them made where the flange coming off the housing that you can bolt the wastegate up to, like so

then you just bolt your downpipe up to the o2 housing, or you could also just get the downpipe and o2 housing made into just one larger pipe (which might be easier/cheaper?)

this is what ide do..i wouldnt want to hack up that manifold
Old 04-16-2003, 09:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (gritsak)

I was just going to suggest welding the wastegate flange to the exhaust housing of the turbo. To me that would be the simpliest option for you. If you do want to cut into the collector for the turbo, then either runner 1 or 4 is what you want to shoot for. Cutting right into the collector isnt the best since its going to disturb the overall flow of the collector.
Old 04-17-2003, 12:38 AM
New User

Default Re: (boosted hybrid)

Get a Flange for the T3 exhaust housing from road race engineering that has the wastegate hole in it, and weld the pipe up to that. This forces an external wastegate to use the exhause normally controlled by an internal wastegate.
That's my idea. Supra's and alot of other cars do this alot. I was really intrigued the first time I saw a setup like that, until I saw the port on the exhause housing that my turbo didnt come with.

Basically it would use this flange with the extra hole in the lower portion for the wastegate to bleed off pressure:
Old 04-17-2003, 12:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SiR Kid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">=SiR Kid]Get a Flange for the T3 exhaust housing from road race engineering that has the wastegate hole in it, and weld the pipe up to that. This forces an external wastegate to use the exhause normally controlled by an internal wastegate.
That's my idea. Supra's and alot of other cars do this alot. I was really intrigued the first time I saw a setup like that, until I saw the port on the exhause housing that my turbo didnt come with.

Basically it would use this flange with the extra hole in the lower portion for the wastegate to bleed off pressure:
</TD></TR></TABLE>

how much boost would that setup be able to handle without spiking?
Old 04-17-2003, 12:50 AM
New User

Default Re: (accordfreak)

Since it's merging exhaust from all the runners, it doesn't suffer creep until you out flow the turbine outlet. You can just port the holes bigger and bigger and bigger, until the system stops creeping.