Notices

Wastegate positioning T4 divided

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2016, 06:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wastegate positioning T4 divided

Just finishing up my divided T4 manifold for my stroker 2.0 A4 wagon. Putting a BW s257sxe on it. Twin 38mm Tial wastegates.
Anyway , I'm a bit limited to where I can put the wastegate ports off the collectors. Is it a big deal if they are favoring one runner, I can't put them on the usual idea eal place where the Centre of the collector is. The way the comp housing and oil drain have to be doesn't allow it.
Will the placement first picture be ok, I'll get away with it???....still trimming shaping to do on the tear drop, finish welding and porting the merge collector and fully weld all the runners.

Old 12-21-2016, 03:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Wastegate positioning T4 divided

I could also come off each of the divided collectors/runner with a straight pipe like so.
Old 12-21-2016, 05:14 AM
OG Fabricator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that should work just fine- you have a nice big open merge to capture exhaust flow compared to mine is done similarly on a single scroll and i have no creep issues. you can see here:
Old 12-22-2016, 11:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

first pic will work. second pic will work better. Best would be similar to the second pic, but with a very slight curve. ideally you want the wg runner perpendicular to the turbo flange inlet, or angled slightly towards it. when it's angle away from the flange is when you often get a bit of creep. Sometimes boost creep can be a good thing though. Like if it only creeps a few psi, and if it's a motor that makes lots of midrange and falls off up top, the creep will help keep the power from dropping off so hard or can keep it flat. trial and error is often key though.
Old 12-23-2016, 01:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by motoxxxman
first pic will work. second pic will work better. Best would be similar to the second pic, but with a very slight curve. ideally you want the wg runner perpendicular to the turbo flange inlet, or angled slightly towards it. when it's angle away from the flange is when you often get a bit of creep. Sometimes boost creep can be a good thing though. Like if it only creeps a few psi, and if it's a motor that makes lots of midrange and falls off up top, the creep will help keep the power from dropping off so hard or can keep it flat. trial and error is often key though.
Well , the second pic isn't an option, there's no room for oil drain and no room for compressor outlet if I go that direction, it's a big no no. Looks like the first one it is.......unless the third pic with straight exit , sitting right up to the flange on each collector would be better.
Really appreciate the response and advice guys!!! Thanks , keep em coming, I'm holding off until I see the consensus lol
Old 12-23-2016, 06:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I got a rough cut on some straight sections, to get an idea of how they'd fit. Have to take the die grinder to them but like I said a rough idea. They'll sit further up on the merge so maybe take from the other runner a bit better. Not a teardrop exit, but I see slot of production manifolds go the same route. What do you guys think???
Old 12-24-2016, 11:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I think that above pic is your best option flow-wise
Old 12-26-2016, 07:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That looks like it's going to suck to weld either the flange or the wastegate ports.
Old 12-26-2016, 09:40 PM
-Intl Steve Krew

Received 183 Likes on 161 Posts

How are you going to get a nut or bolt into that flange space?? Or is it threaded?

That positioning does not look good at all, like 4G63 said, it's going to suck to weld.

​​​​​
Old 12-27-2016, 02:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well it's never gonna be any more difficult than getting down to the center of the divided merge collector. The flange will be welded first then ports made for the dumps, then the outlets welded in place. There's tricks to welding awkward stuff like that but it will be a challenge, no more than welding the runners back to the collector.
The flange is gonna be threaded and stepped studs will be used, so not too worried about that.
Old 12-27-2016, 02:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 1sick4g63
That looks like it's going to suck to weld either the flange or the wastegate ports.
For sure!!! I'm not looking forward to it but options are slim bud, if I could find a more friendly way I would. I see a lot of production manifolds welding ports in similar placement.
Old 12-27-2016, 03:40 AM
-Intl Steve Krew

Received 183 Likes on 161 Posts

Angling the tubing down a few degrees would net you a much easier weld, or shifting it down even just 3mm (1/8")
Old 01-04-2017, 10:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know this is hearasy, but I built a divided manifold for a evo8 16GR6 mitsu turbo. When it came to the wastegate I decided to only use 1. I think it was the best decision. Trying to balance two wastegates seems like too much work and added complexity. I made the mani so that as much as possible the flow would be one way and not affect the main stream divided flow.

It worked very well. Not sure how much I lost in spool time, but I suspect it was not very much.

I'm putting the same turbo on a Integra B1.7A1 (Gen 2 gsr) and it will be the same idea.

Chay